The Spirited Back Nine ...

DisneyElephant

They are talking about demographics and appealing to particular traits. There is nothing hateful about it... unless you are the sensitive type that gets insulted when someone acknowledges you are actually a woman and not some generic being.

Yeah I get that, but to be honest, I'm just so sick of entertainment entities deliberately dumbing down material because it caters to a so-called "demographic" that may or may not actually exist. It perpetuates the problem. The stuff about males is a little offensive too. There are much better ways to go about this stuff than stereotyping in such an unintelligent way. Its one thing to market it to demographics, its another to be completely ignorant about it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This hits the nail on the head. WDW should be a place to vacation which happens to have theme parks, not just a bunch of parks which happen to be a 20 minute bus ride from each other and little else worth doing.

In the Discovery Island/River Country/Bay Lake days, and when there were just one or two parks, a week at WDW meant a few days doing parks and a few days relaxing, riding horses or jet skis, enjoying the beach or a barbecue, exploring a nature trail... nowadays, with prices reserved for only the richest folk, most people don't have a choice to take in the more relaxing side of WDW, and even those that do stay on property feel they have to roar around the parks to get value for money, after spending a small fortune, so that more relaxing pace has been lost for most people.

We ALWAYS go horseback riding at WDW as well as taking at least one carriage ride. I've never been a park 'commando' always preferred the relaxed 'resort' mode.

doctornick

Then you're like me and no longer welcome there.

I don't really understand these types of comments. Doesn't Disney still offer all of those same activities? OK, a few things have changed (like Discovery Island going away) but if you to go Horseback riding or have a carriage ride or toast marshmallows or do watersports, etc -- aren't all those things still available at WDW?

People lament that it used too be a "vacation kingdom" with more than the parks, but isn't that still true? You can still do all of those things if you wish. Just because Disney doesn't advertise them much doesn't prevent one from doing them. I don't see how someone would be "not welcome" if they are interested in partaking in activities that WDW still offers.

bhg469

I don't really understand these types of comments. Doesn't Disney still offer all of those same activities? OK, a few things have changed (like Discovery Island going away) but if you to go Horseback riding or have a carriage ride or toast marshmallows or do watersports, etc -- aren't all those things still available at WDW?

People lament that it used too be a "vacation kingdom" with more than the parks, but isn't that still true? You can still do all of those things if you wish. Just because Disney doesn't advertise them much doesn't prevent one from doing them. I don't see how someone would be "not welcome" if they are interested in partaking in activities that WDW still offers.
The days of having an unplanned but still stress free trip do not exist anymore.

DisDan

The days of having an unplanned but still stress free trip do not exist anymore.

Well that depends on the person, not everyone sees planning as a stressful thing. Personally, I am a planner and like having options available to me to plan my trips out. That being said, I can understand some folks not liking this very much and being forced into it as being a stressful thing. On our last family trip to WDW this passed Sept. we planned out all our FP+ and Dinner reservations in advance. Knowing that I had reservations for all that actually made our trip more "relaxed" because I was not worrying about where to eat and whether I would be able to get a table in a timely manner or how long the line at a specific attraction would be (in the case of FP+).

So, to each their own I guess.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Experiences like these now are REALLY HARD to find and book, You used to be able to buy a 'Keys to The Kingdom' package and you could use all these things to your heart's content. Now with everyone having a separate P&L now you need to book and pay for everything separately and WDW reservations most times is worse than useless, Try to book Horseback Riding through the phone - never works, You need to visit the stables themselves.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well that depends on the person, not everyone sees planning as a stressful thing. Personally, I am a planner and like having options available to me to plan my trips out. That being said, I can understand some folks not liking this very much and being forced into it as being a stressful thing. On our last family trip to WDW this passed Sept. we planned out all our FP+ and Dinner reservations in advance. Knowing that I had reservations for all that actually made our trip more "relaxed" because I was not worrying about where to eat and whether I would be able to get a table in a timely manner or how long the line at a specific attraction would be (in the case of FP+).

I'm an engineer I deal with schedules and timetables all the time, WDW used to allow you to go visit and 'check out' from reality - the biggest decision of the day 'Do I want to visit a park and if so which one' Now I need to create spreadsheets and GANTT charts to ensure I make all my appointments... NOT my idea of a vacation.

doctornick

Why not? Sure, if you are unplanned you won't be able to do as much in terms of going on rides or meal reservations, but that's not anything surprising. Most things in life, you get to do more with planning.

But if someone wanted to take a relaxing WDW vacation, what is stopping them? On days when you go to the parks, you either get FP+ on the spot or wait in lines. On other days, you do the same sort of "relaxing" stuff you bemoan that peopel don't do -- go horseback riding or bike riding or do watersports or golfing or mini-golf or take a carriage ride or go to a petting zoo or just relax at the pool. All things still available at the "Vacation Kingdom". If that was the stuff you enjoyed doing 10 or 20 years ago at WDW, why can't or won't you do them now? What would be stopping you?

I guess I don't understand what the change is that prevents people from having this sort of vacation if they want it. I fully understand that Disney does not promote that type of vacation, but the components are still all there available to be experienced if that is what you like.

DisDan

I'm an engineer I deal with schedules and timetables all the time, WDW used to allow you to go visit and 'check out' from reality - the biggest decision of the day 'Do I want to visit a park and if so which one' Now I need to create spreadsheets and GANTT charts to ensure I make all my appointments... NOT my idea of a vacation.

I think you are being a little extremist there, I am also an Engineer and I did not need spreadsheets or charts to plan our vacation. It was as simple as sitting with my family one evening well before our trip and deciding on what places we wanted to dine and on what days. Also it was not hard picking FP+ since we have been to WDW enough to know which attractions FP+ would really be a benefit for our family.

We are a family of 4 and we knew we wanted some Character dining experiences and we knew we would be doing the 1 day on 1 day off schedule with Park/Resort days. So we knew what days we would be at the Park and what days we would not, made planning a little easier. But as I said, we are planners and the whole process was enjoyable for us and gave us, not only something to look forward to, but also the peace of mind of NOT having to make those decisions during our trip.

Kman101

Exactly. No one is being forced to book a FP+ (I should add a *yet* to that). Wait in line like you used to. Wait time too high for you? What happened when that was the case 'back in the day'? You waited or you didn't ride. Take a day and relax at your resort. Hop on the monorail and explore the monorail resorts. Book a fishing excursion. Yes, in a lot of ways, WDW is a lot more stressful, and it's clearly more crowded but the only thing you really are forced to book are meals, which I personally hate. I don't agree with having to book a restaurant meal so many days in advance. It personally limits *my* options as a local/day guest. But blame that on the folks who think they need to do this and it's exploded into having to have a reservation. And I almost never pull my phone out. Still. I've yet to feel 'forced' to stare at my phone all day when in the parks.

I also get that for that family that is going there once every few years, or just once in a lifetime, it's probably completely different. But it really doesn't have to be. Somehow they've been conditioned that they have to see and do everything because they're paying so much (and I totally get that).

Last edited:

Skip

The point all the pro FastPass+ folks are conveniently ignoring is that you really can't *just* wait in the standby line anymore: FastPass+ has exacerbated lines at even high capacity attractions like Haunted Mansion and Pirates. Before FastPass, all capacity was devoted to one line at all times, making standby lines significantly shorter.

the.dreamfinder

@flynnibus , I forgot this one.
image.jpg

Goofyernmost

Yeah I get that, but to be honest, I'm just so sick of entertainment entities deliberately dumbing down material because it caters to a so-called "demographic" that may or may not actually exist. It perpetuates the problem. The stuff about males is a little offensive too. There are much better ways to go about this stuff than stereotyping in such an unintelligent way. Its one thing to market it to demographics, its another to be completely ignorant about it.
The stuff about males is a lot offensive, but, only if one is a male, if not, most find it funny. They have shown males as one of gods dumbest creatures that cannot function without the guidance of a woman. Males and Females are equal in ability to survive when given the situation and allowed to expand and grow. None of this should be happening regardless of the gender, but, then what would we have to laugh at. Stereotypes are always a funny topic to humans. We are a strange lot, all of us.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The point all the pro FastPass+ folks are conveniently ignoring is that you really can't *just* wait in the standby line anymore: FastPass+ has exacerbated lines at even high capacity attractions like Haunted Mansion and Pirates. Before FastPass, all capacity was devoted to one line at all times, making standby lines significantly shorter.

Precisely, plus there was that TSMM 'test' when TSMM was FP ONLY... Only a matter of time before that disease spreads.

Disney did not spend 1-3 billion to benefit the guest, It was done to create artificial scarcity and spread the load across ALL attractions eliminating in TDO's mind the need to build 'new' attractions.

CoP needs FP+ like a fish needs a bicycle !!! It's one of my favorites but really.

DisDan

Exactly. No one is being forced to book a FP+ (I should add a *yet* to that). Wait in line like you used to. Wait time too high for you? What happened with that was the case 'back in the day'? You waited or you didn't ride. Take a day and relax at your resort. Hop on the monorail and explore the monorail resorts. Book a fishing excursion. Yes, in a lot of ways, WDW is a lot more stressful, and it's clearly more crowded but the only thing you really are forced to book are meals, which I personally hate. I don't agree with having to book a restaurant meal so many days in advance. It personally limits *my* options as a local/day guest. But blame that on the folks who think they need to do this and it's exploded into having to have a reservation.

I don't think it's fair to place blame on people who like planning their dining in advance. Fact is, people who would otherwise not plan in advance are now doing so because Disney is allowing advance reservations 180 days in advance. It really should not be more than 7 days or so in advance to give planners and non-planners all a fair shot at reservations. IMO

PhotoDave219

My biggest thing? I don't know when I'm going to get off work early and decided to go to Disney… I can't plan a week out let alone 180 days out. So this entire culture all of scheduling everything in advance just gives me the impression that because I do not fit into the mold the management wants, I am not welcome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom