The Spirited Back Nine ...

Little Green Men

It's truly odd the definition of a 'Doom and Gloomer' is someone who expects Disney to live up to the standard that Disney itself set for 60 years before about 2005, Rather than accept and PRAISE the WalMart level of quality seen today in it's hotel and theme park products.
Acting like EVERYTHING is Walmart quality and nothing is as good as before isn't exactly a realist.

Cosmic Commando

Eh, they got Disneyland merch in their designated Outlet stores around the country. Got me some Buena Vista Street swag in Nashville while on vacation earlier this year.
Yup, walls full of Disneyland merch at the Outlet store in NJ.
Booooooo. They opened a Disney Outlet near us after closing all of our Disney Stores years ago during that big purge after buying back from Children's Place. We went, and... it was totally unrecognizable as an outlet store. There was tons of new-looking, undiscounted Frozen, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. stuff. There was Big Hero 6 stuff before the movie even came out. I didn't see a single item that looked like it really belonged at an "outlet" store. Although I agree that they should keep the theme park stuff at the theme parks (except a few limited things), I would love to see some of that stuff here if they're already sending it across the country. Or (call me crazy) some Halloween stuff on clearance in November. 'Cause, you know, it's an outlet store. We went to one of the theme park outlets near WDW a few years ago, and it was a true outlet store... last year's dated merchandise, leftovers of items in XS or XXXL, etc.

MarkTwain

While I understand your point, what would you expect Disney to do with unsold merchandise after the cruise?

Destroy it? Give it as gifts (or sell it) to cast members that worked during the voyage? At least keep it exclusive to DCL shops? Anything but sell it to a generic Disney outlet, which is what they did. We paid a few hundred more per person for the privilege of going on an inaugural voyage, largely for the merchandise. Now that we know the same merch can be found onland for a fraction of the price, I see less incentive to make a point of doing that again. Disney may have annoyed customers willing to pay thousands of dollars extra, so they could earn $5-10 extra off of those "exclusive" towels.

As @ford91exploder said, "stooping for pennies while dollars fly overhead".

BrerJon

In my mind that's not the definition at all. A true doom and gloomer always finds a problem with everything Disney does no matter what. If Disney doesn't do something they kill them for it. If they do something new and it's actually good and the doom and gloomer can't find a lot of flaws they fall back on either the fact that it's still way overpriced or that Universal is doing it better/faster/cheaper. If all else fails they make fun of the weight/dress/mental capacity of WDW guests.

If that's the criteria I don't think I've ever read a post from a real doom-and-gloomer - most people in that camp are often quite positive about things.

I always thought the difference between 'doom and gloomers' and 'pixie dusters' was this:

'Pixie dusters' enjoy the positive feelings from praising Disney for the good things it does, excusing - or never acknowledge the existence of - the bad, have no issues with paying more more money for less quality, as even diminished quality is still amazing to them. They also never compare Disney to the competition, or what the same money could buy elsewhere. This group feels like they owe Disney loyalty for all the joy the company has brought into their lives. Pixie dusters also tend not to visit multiple Disney destinations, as they get all they need from WDW.

'Doom and gloomers' generally used to be blown away by Disney but aren't anymore, but want to recapture those feelings. They praise them when they do things well, but are very quick to call out Disney on areas where they could easily improve. This group tends to be more financially frugal, comparing the Disney experience to alternative vacation options, rival parks etc., and doesn't feel they owe the company any loyalty, but instead Disney should try to earn their custom. Doom and gloomers also tend to visit multiple Disney resorts, as the experience at WDW is less satisfying to them than it was.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If that's the criteria I don't think I've ever read a post from a real doom-and-gloomer - most people in that camp are often quite positive about things.

I always thought the difference between 'doom and gloomers' and 'pixie dusters' was this:

'Pixie dusters' enjoy the positive feelings from praising Disney for the good things it does, excusing - or never acknowledge the existence of - the bad, have no issues with paying more more money for less quality, as even diminished quality is still amazing to them. They also never compare Disney to the competition, or what the same money could buy elsewhere. This group feels like they owe Disney loyalty for all the joy the company has brought into their lives. Pixie dusters also tend not to visit multiple Disney destinations, as they get all they need from WDW.

'Doom and gloomers' generally used to be blown away by Disney but aren't anymore, but want to recapture those feelings. They praise them when they do things well, but are very quick to call out Disney on areas where they could easily improve. This group tends to be more financially frugal, comparing the Disney experience to alternative vacation options, rival parks etc., and doesn't feel they owe the company any loyalty, but instead Disney should try to earn their custom. Doom and gloomers also tend to visit multiple Disney resorts, as the experience at WDW is less satisfying to them than it was.

I fit squarely into the second camp, Been DVC since the time park admission was INCLUDED with membership, And WDW for the past 5 years or so has rapidly declined in quality along with huge increases in pricing, The only thing at Disney which has improved across the board is the stock price.

Unfortunately Disney has decided that their primary customer is Wall Street, not the people who pay them money for their vacations and it shows.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Booooooo. They opened a Disney Outlet near us after closing all of our Disney Stores years ago during that big purge after buying back from Children's Place. We went, and... it was totally unrecognizable as an outlet store. There was tons of new-looking, undiscounted Frozen, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. stuff. There was Big Hero 6 stuff before the movie even came out. I didn't see a single item that looked like it really belonged at an "outlet" store. Although I agree that they should keep the theme park stuff at the theme parks (except a few limited things), I would love to see some of that stuff here if they're already sending it across the country. Or (call me crazy) some Halloween stuff on clearance in November. 'Cause, you know, it's an outlet store. We went to one of the theme park outlets near WDW a few years ago, and it was a true outlet store... last year's dated merchandise, leftovers of items in XS or XXXL, etc.

Exactly why should I spend money on 'WDW Exclusive' merchandise when it will show up at the local Disney outlet store in a few months

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Listen I understand what you are saying, but, one has to realize that the man that set those standards has been dead for 50 years now. There never has been and never will be another like him. We might like the thought of people that are still interested in keeping those standards, but, all the Disney's that cared are now gone as well. That's the reality. In the meantime there is an argument that can be made the in spite of the parks not being what they once were, they are still good places to be unless we spend all our time beating our heads against a steel wall attempting to change things that are not going to change. Then it is nothing but frustration and lack of the ability to enjoy what is there, while that still exists. That is my opinion of the situation.

Acceptance of declining quality is enabling FURTHER declines in quality, Go to DL or TDL and see the difference between parks that are run to Disney standards as opposed to parks which are run to TDO standards. DL has had it's downs as well but it has a strong LOCAL fanbase who calls out TDA and embarasses them in the press so TDA is forced to run the parks to the standards set by Disney up through the Eisner years.

One of the biggest sticking points between OLC and TWDC is the declining quality at WDW and how the quality declines are hurting OLC's business and how OLC has to constantly counter the damage that WDW is doing to the Disney Theme Park Brand worldwide.

Let's just say the asian parks are an eye opener - visit ANY one of them and you will never see WDW the same way again and the comparison will not be in WDW's favor.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I didn't see where the OP said they were deep discounted up to 66% off. Even so, most people on vacation are buying a shirt as a souvenir. How many people are really going to skip the souvenir on vacation because they noticed a hand full of shirts on a rack at their local Disney store? Seems unlikely, but maybe I just look at things differently.

Local Disney Outlet has same merchandise sold at WDW NOW - Usually discounted by 50% or more, Discovered this to my horror as I was taking a guest to one of the local outlet malls. (New England visitors love them ... )

Let's just say that visit put an end to clothing buys at WDW as it's authentic Disney merchandise sold in a Disney affiliated store as why should I pay $30-40 dollars for a shirt when I can buy the SAME shirt for $15-20

Picking up pennies...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And to me there's a big difference in calling out Disney when they cheap out or disgustingly raise prices, and constantly harping on how awful everything is. It comes off as complaining just to complain and sometimes a valid point gets lost in that.

Just look at the Hard Ticket events, They started at 35 bucks or so a few years back and they were great value for the money now they are approaching the cost of regular admission and they are a pale shadow of themselves. I used to go to them but no longer.

dupac

I understand selling Disneyland stuff in an outlet disney store in no, or WDW merch in an outlet in Orlando ....but to sell WDW merchandise in a disney store, in a mall, in PA, is just wrong. It's at the far back of the store, amongst pjs, mugs, and behind the giant stuffed animal heap and only display of adult sized shirts in the whole store. Sorry. There's really no way of defending this, it's simply cheap and lazy on Disneys part.

If they are going to carry WDW stuff they might as well have Disneyland and California adventure merch too. Why stop there? Bring on Disneyland Paris and Tokyo disney sea.

Ugh.
The Disney store in OKC had an entire section by the clearance items signed 'DisneyParks.' I found some stuff over there that I'd seen during my last trip to WDW... back in 2012.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

In my mind you can count on a hand or 2 the number of real pixie dusters or doom and gloomers who post here. What generally happens is someone says something critical and gets labeled a doom and gloomer or the opposite with positive thoughts. The vast majority of those who post here are somewhere in the middle. They may lean one way or another, but they don't have an absolute opinion. There are a handful of true doom and gloomers who very, very rarely say anything positive and have some sort of axe to grind or maybe are just trolling. Any true pixie duster has long ago stopped reading Spirit threads. They probably post other places though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Local Disney Outlet has same merchandise sold at WDW NOW - Usually discounted by 50% or more, Discovered this to my horror as I was taking a guest to one of the local outlet malls. (New England visitors love them ... )

Let's just say that visit put an end to clothing buys at WDW as it's authentic Disney merchandise sold in a Disney affiliated store as why should I pay $30-40 dollars for a shirt when I can buy the SAME shirt for $15-20

Picking up pennies...
That makes no sense to me. If I buy a shirt on vacation it's a souvenir of my trip. It's not because I needed or wanted a Disney t-shirt and happened to find one at WDW. The souvenir reminds me of my trip because I bought it there. That's why it has special meaning and I'm willing to pay $30 for it. Going to an outlet store and buying a shirt after I return would never cross my mind.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That makes no sense to me. If I buy a shirt on vacation it's a souvenir of my trip. It's not because I needed or wanted a Disney t-shirt and happened to find one at WDW. The souvenir reminds me of my trip because I bought it there. That's why it has special meaning and I'm willing to pay $30 for it. Going to an outlet store and buying a shirt after I return would never cross my mind.

I'm a Scotsman and I'm offended by Disney doing something like this, DW loves Disney clothes (she's a Scot too) and when we buy souvenir's we tend to buy them on the basis that we can ONLY buy them there.

DW loves Disney clothes and for a long time her favorite stuff was ONLY available at WDW and we would buy it there - Now that it's at the Outlet mall she is not going to pay more for the same product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom