The Spirited Back Nine ...

Goofyernmost

Replace 'Doom and Gloomers' with realists and you have something.
No because realists are people that see the things for what they are worth right now, not referring back to the past. Both are correct in their own way, but, some can appreciate what is still there and the others are still mourning what has gone. And, in my opinion, it has gone and never will completely return. It is a different world now, not necessarily a better one, but, it is the world we live in.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
While I understand your point, what would you expect Disney to do with unsold merchandise after the cruise?

Do what other purveyors of limited edition merchandise do destroy it, When customers get burned by buying high priced 'limited edition' merch and then seeing same merchandise discounted at your usual outlets word gets around and people simply are not that stupid.

Once again poor brand management while stooping for pennies while dollars fly overhead.

The key to limited edition merchandise is keeping it limited

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No because realists are people that see the things for what they are worth right now, not referring back to the past. Both are correct in their own way, but, some can appreciate what is still there and the others are still mourning what has gone. And, in my opinion, it has gone and never will completely return. It is a different world now, not necessarily a better one, but, it is the world we live in.

No realists see that Disney is trying to push dog doo as chocolate mousse and charging excessive prices for a product whose value has been hollowed out.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I understand selling Disneyland stuff in an outlet disney store in no, or WDW merch in an outlet in Orlando ....but to sell WDW merchandise in a disney store, in a mall, in PA, is just wrong. It's at the far back of the store, amongst pjs, mugs, and behind the giant stuffed animal heap and only display of adult sized shirts in the whole store. Sorry. There's really no way of defending this, it's simply cheap and lazy on Disneys part.

If they are going to carry WDW stuff they might as well have Disneyland and California adventure merch too. Why stop there? Bring on Disneyland Paris and Tokyo disney sea.

Ugh.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry, but that for sure is the definition of doom and gloomers. Just the fact that you called it dog doo is testament to that attitude.

It's truly odd the definition of a 'Doom and Gloomer' is someone who expects Disney to live up to the standard that Disney itself set for 60 years before about 2005, Rather than accept and PRAISE the WalMart level of quality seen today in it's hotel and theme park products.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand selling Disneyland stuff in an outlet disney store in no, or WDW merch in an outlet in Orlando ....but to sell WDW merchandise in a disney store, in a mall, in PA, is just wrong. It's at the far back of the store, amongst pjs, mugs, and behind the giant stuffed animal heap and only display of adult sized shirts in the whole store. Sorry. There's really no way of defending this, it's simply cheap and lazy on Disneys part.

If they are going to carry WDW stuff they might as well have Disneyland and California adventure merch too. Why stop there? Bring on Disneyland Paris and Tokyo disney sea.

Ugh.
I wouldn't buy a WDW shirt at the Disney store at my local mall, but if they are selling it someone must be buying. Maybe they had a bunch of people asking for WDW merchandise and so they started stocking it. Doesn't seem real likely, but who knows.

Here are a few far fetched reasons I could think of that people might ask for those shirts:
  1. Maybe the person went to WDW but forgot to buy a shirt or ran out of money while they were there.
  2. Maybe the person did buy a shirt at WDW, but lost it or spilled something on it and ruined it.
  3. Maybe someone is planning a surprise trip to WDW for a Christmas present and wanted something tangible to wrap for the person to open.
That's all I got.:)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Ugh.

This is the kind of stuff I'm called a 'Doom and Gloomer' for pointing out and saying it's NOT ACCEPTABLE.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's truly odd the definition of a 'Doom and Gloomer' is someone who expects Disney to live up to the standard that Disney itself set for 60 years before about 2005, Rather than accept and PRAISE the WalMart level of quality seen today in it's hotel and theme park products.
In my mind that's not the definition at all. A true doom and gloomer always finds a problem with everything Disney does no matter what. If Disney doesn't do something they kill them for it. If they do something new and it's actually good and the doom and gloomer can't find a lot of flaws they fall back on either the fact that it's still way overpriced or that Universal is doing it better/faster/cheaper. If all else fails they make fun of the weight/dress/mental capacity of WDW guests.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't buy a WDW shirt at the Disney store at my local mall, but if they are selling it someone must be buying. Maybe they had a bunch of people asking for WDW merchandise and so they started stocking it. Doesn't seem real likely, but who knows.

Here are a few far fetched reasons I could think of that people might ask for those shirts:
  1. Maybe the person went to WDW but forgot to buy a shirt or ran out of money while they were there.
  2. Maybe the person did buy a shirt at WDW, but lost it or spilled something on it and ruined it.
  3. Maybe someone is planning a surprise trip to WDW for a Christmas present and wanted something tangible to wrap for the person to open.
That's all I got.:)

It makes it D--- hard to justify purchasing 'Resort' merchandise at WDW for 2-3x price if I can buy it locally, Once again Disney is picking up pennies while dollars fly overhead.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It makes it D--- hard to justify purchasing 'Resort' merchandise at WDW for 2-3x price if I can buy it locally, Once again Disney is picking up pennies while dollars fly overhead.
I didn't see where the OP said they were deep discounted up to 66% off. Even so, most people on vacation are buying a shirt as a souvenir. How many people are really going to skip the souvenir on vacation because they noticed a hand full of shirts on a rack at their local Disney store? Seems unlikely, but maybe I just look at things differently.

Goofyernmost

Listen I understand what you are saying, but, one has to realize that the man that set those standards has been dead for 50 years now. There never has been and never will be another like him. We might like the thought of people that are still interested in keeping those standards, but, all the Disney's that cared are now gone as well. That's the reality. In the meantime there is an argument that can be made the in spite of the parks not being what they once were, they are still good places to be unless we spend all our time beating our heads against a steel wall attempting to change things that are not going to change. Then it is nothing but frustration and lack of the ability to enjoy what is there, while that still exists. That is my opinion of the situation.

Tigger1988

Ugh.
How does Disneyland merch in an NJ outlet store make any more sense than a WDW shirt in PA? What?

BrianLo

In my mind that's not the definition at all. A true doom and gloomer always finds a problem with everything Disney does no matter what. If Disney doesn't do something they kill them for it. If they do something new and it's actually good and the doom and gloomer can't find a lot of flaws they fall back on either the fact that it's still way overpriced or that Universal is doing it better/faster/cheaper. If all else fails they make fun of the weight/dress/mental capacity of WDW guests.

Aka a troll or fanboi - both the same thing, just depends from which side of the topic one is incessantly arguing. ;)

Kman101

Ding ding ding. THIS. 100%

And the only reason some have jumped on the "fanboi" (and to an extent "doom and gloomer") bandwagon is because of Spirit. I quite enjoy a lot of his posts and really, truly appreciate his information but many just go off of his attitude. I don't believe for a second there'd be this many discussions of mental illness, the weight of guests, the calling out of social media/lifestylers (even if I agree that I don't understand living at the parks), the "fanboi"/pixie dusters labeling ...

And if someone doesn't truly know what a board troll is ...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom