The Spirited Back Nine ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So, the European Union has developed some kind of super metal? Cool.
Ya, they call it the euro. It's quite effective at destabilizing a smaller countries economy.

euro-notes-and-coins.jpeg

jensenrick

I just think it gets a little overblown sometimes. "it" being the discussion of Disney fans mental states. If some guy wants to be the first to park in a parking garage, to each his own. It doesn't really affect me to discuss how much mental health assistance dedicated Disney fans need.

Everybody has their own hobbies and some take their hobbies to the extreme. Just because I personally wouldn't care if I was the first to park (and it seems like many others on here wouldn't as well) doesn't mean the people who would do it are all mentally-ill. Just different interests.

And clearly there are people out there who care about this stuff because Disney had things prepared. The only gripe I had was that a garage got a "first to park" pin, which I thought would be reserved for attractions. But the fact that it got that treatment didn't ruin my day at all.

Hopefully this doesn't come off wrong, but before we label other people's mental states based on their dedication to Disney, we should self-reflect on our own mental states regarding how much we care about what the dedicated Disney folk do.

all of THIS times a Million!

Animaniac93-98

"Social media" is wholly overrated, overpriced, and over-marketed by people who don't understand what it truly is.

I wish I could like this post more than once.

There's a whole cottage industry of marketing firms that have successfully sold businesses on the idea that SM is amazing because it's so cheap to use and has such a far reach. Except in reality it's time consuming, expensive (because you have to pay people to create and monitor its content) and not nearly as effective on its own as they have been told to believe.

asianway

It has always been my opinion that even though "social media" reaches a lot of people almost instantly, it is too wide ranged to be really all that helpful. It does only focus on people that are already sold. No one, that doesn't have an interest in Disney, for example, is searching out a Disney board just for fun. Therefore, the ones that need it the most, do not see it. Those that are already part of the scene are all over it. What does that really accomplish? The only real benefit is that it gives people, like me, something to do, read and comment on while getting through an otherwise lifeless evening.
Then you agree with Spirits position that Disneys current social media strategy amounts to "preaching to the choir" and spending a lot of money to do so.

FigmentJedi

This is sickening.

What's wrong with it, you ask?

Nothing.

Except it's at The Disney Store in Pittsburgh, PA.

A whole rack of them, in red and gray.

Seriously, Disney?

Eh, they got Disneyland merch in their designated Outlet stores around the country. Got me some Buena Vista Street swag in Nashville while on vacation earlier this year.

Next Big Thing

The Infantization of America has not only taken root, but is now a beanstalk.

We live in a country where Judd Apatow characters are considered "Men".

article-800340270-7007729.jpg
You're making the point for everyone about this whole over use of "mentally ill".

You're making fun of him because you don't like Judd Apatow or Seth Rogan's style of comedy from what it sounds like. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad or that it's "mentally ill".

It's just not what you like. So ignore it.

Last edited:

MarkTwain

This is sickening.

What's wrong with it, you ask?

Nothing.

Except it's at The Disney Store in Pittsburgh, PA.

A whole rack of them, in red and gray.

Seriously, Disney?

That really is frustrating.

In 2010, we took a big family Disney cruise through Northern Europe. We had cruised with Disney through the Mediterranean a few years before, and were impressed with all the beautiful merchandise we found on the cruise. When we got home, we learned that Disney had released even more merchandise that was exclusive to people that went on the first sailing, which said things like "Disney Inaugural Mediterranean Cruise," that kind of thing.

So once we made up our minds to go on the Northern European cruise, we decided we would go on the first one available, so that we could gather any similar exclusive merchandise that was available for the inaugural voyage. We even paid a bit more for the privilege of doing so.

So imagine our shock when we went to a Disney store in Orlando later that year, and found shelves filled with "Northern European Inaugural Cruise" merchandise. :( Not only was the merchandise being sold to people that didn't have to go on a Disney cruise at all, but it was discounted significantly from what we had to pay for it. We felt very insulted that Disney would put it in a generic Disney store after we paid higher prices and flew to Europe to go on an inaugural sailing.

I wish I'd taken a picture.

Goofyernmost

Then you agree with Spirits position that Disneys current social media strategy amounts to "preaching to the choir" and spending a lot of money to do so.
Miracles happen sometimes, so yes, I do agree with that assessment completely. However, I don't think that is what they are spending a lot of money for. It is being done to counter balance the doom and gloomers and get a more positive message out to the choir. If this were a choir the fact that the organ was broken would not be mentioned, but the choir director would just decide that A Capella was the way to go for a while.

BrerJon

So imagine our shock when we went to a Disney store in Orlando later that year, and found shelves filled with "Northern European Inaugural Cruise" merchandise. :( Not only was the merchandise being sold to people that didn't have to go on a Disney cruise at all, but it was discounted significantly from what we had to pay for it. We felt very insulted that Disney would put it in a generic Disney store after we paid higher prices and flew to Europe to go on an inaugural sailing.

I can vouch for this - I have one of the towels from that Inaugural Mediterannean Cruise - they're nice towels. But I never went in the cruise, just picked it up in the Disney outlet store for ten bucks or something.

Am I imagining it, or was there a time when you could only get WDW merchandise in WDW, Disneyland merch in Disneyland etc... I don't think you could even get it online. To me that makes total sense, as you encourage people to buy stuff they can only get while there.

I assume they think that by putting everything in every Disney Store and online the market and audience is much bigger, but in the process they're massively reducing the incentive to impulse buy, as most people will just think 'ah, I can get that anytime', and once back out of the magic in the cold real world, will probably not bother after all.

doctornick

That really is frustrating.

In 2010, we took a big family Disney cruise through Northern Europe. We had cruised with Disney through the Mediterranean a few years before, and were impressed with all the beautiful merchandise we found on the cruise. When we got home, we learned that Disney had released even more merchandise that was exclusive to people that went on the first sailing, which said things like "Disney Inaugural Mediterranean Cruise," that kind of thing.

So once we made up our minds to go on the Northern European cruise, we decided we would go on the first one available, so that we could gather any similar exclusive merchandise that was available for the inaugural voyage. We even paid a bit more for the privilege of doing so.

I wish I'd taken a picture.

While I understand your point, what would you expect Disney to do with unsold merchandise after the cruise?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Miracles happen sometimes, so yes, I do agree with that assessment completely. However, I don't think that is what they are spending a lot of money for. It is being done to counter balance the doom and gloomers and get a more positive message out to the choir. If this were a choir the fact that the organ was broken would not be mentioned, but the choir director would just decide that A Capella was the way to go for a while.

Replace 'Doom and Gloomers' with realists and you have something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom