The Spirited Back Nine ...

Next Big Thing

I don't have reason to doubt you. For the better part of 2014 you could not easily park at DTD--I think a "finally" is justified under those circumstances.

I fail to see how Universal's construction practices are germane to the conversation.
The only reason I brought it up is because many point to Universal and say "look how fast they got it done, Disney's going so slow!", but the don't realize that the two garages underwent different build methods.

I agree a "finally!" is definitely a feeling any of us who frequent the DTD area on even a semi-regular area have. I feel the same way to an extent. But it was completed fairly fast all things considered, it just seems like MUCH longer because of the headache traffic has been.

NormC

Erm, No it has not been 'open for years', Yes it has been used once or twice on NYE and the 4'th of July to alieviate traffic on Main St. Using a backstage area occasionally and the number occasions can be counted on the fingers of one hand != "Open as guest area".
Erm, yes. It has been used much more than once or twice. It has been used for years as an overflow during high traffic events. It was never open as a general guest area. It is still only intended to be used in high traffic periods but now it will look nicer than a parking lot and loading dock.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It really doesn't matter how high I aim or how high you aim or anybody else on this board. We have no power at all

You have the most power of anyone - you control your wallet and how you spend.

Disney doesn't sell me a "premium experience"

You don't buy into Disney based on their promotion of unique, leading attractions? Of customer service? Of a RESORT experience?

Disney advertises themselves as a top quality product - and charges that way too.

Good grief are we like little kids that have to be entertained every moment? Somethings are utility functions. The buses are a prime example of that. They exist to move people to and from the parks. If you get some kind of jollys over riding on the bus, then that is a plus for you, but, that is not their purpose and not their mission.

Yet, Disney goes through the effort to do things like decorate them, record spiels and music for them, create custom fabrics, etc. Disney created things like steam powered ferries, and monorails... all to serve that 'utility' function you are happy to write-off as germane and regular. It doesn't have to be, and the company used to do things to ensure it wasn't just regular... but Disney.

We are not in a position to make that determination and the only power we do have, we refuse to use. That would be not going back.

Yup - and if you feel the way I do, that's the only way to prove the point. Which is why last month we didn't goto Disney (except one stop in DTD) when I was in Orlando for my vacation... and instead went to Discovery Cove, SW, and Aquatica.

That alone would not even be effective because for all of you that think it's all bad, there are about a million that do not have that vision at all. It's all a waste of time.

Well if no one starts... it will never start either. Those other people will have to learn on their own. That doesn't mean the loss of my spend is irrelevant. Disney isn't at 100% capacity with an immediate overflow ready.

Worrying or even caring about an exit alleyway that is only used, at best, once a day, is crazy and completely unreasonable

I only eat dinner once a day... that doesn't mean we should just make it some germane experience.
You only go through the turnstyles once... yet Disney put effort into that experience too in the past.

You're just treating the visit like a 'utility' visit all over. I want them to live up to their potential and their own standard.

Horizons1

Personally, I'd love to spend and hour or two a day writing a blog exclaiming how wonderful everything is with a shot of pixie dust, if that would mean I'd get freebies thrown my way from the mouse. Free annual passes? Invitations to media-only Disney events? Sign me the hell up!!!

Sounds like Ricky over that other site. Uh-oh. Sorry there, Rick!

the.dreamfinder

So this has been on the Internet for a while...
http://thisismrb.blogspot.com/2014/11/mock-up.html?m=1
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Erm, yes. It has been used much more than once or twice. It has been used for years as an overflow during high traffic events. It was never open as a general guest area. It is still only intended to be used in high traffic periods but now it will look nicer than a parking lot and loading dock.
What could look nicer than this? Street signs; industrial equipment; and so much lighting that you can barely see 5 feet in front of you.

2010-12-30 19.57.05.jpg

Bairstow

CDavid

It really doesn't matter how high I aim or how high you aim or anybody else on this board. We have no power at all.

Literally not true.

That may sound like apathy, but it really is living in the real world.

It is indeed apathy, and rather than a reflection of life in the real world, it is in fact the second most serious problem (and shortcoming) in this nation (and world). It doesn't have to be that way; Problems persist and worsen often just because we allow things to happen. We are not anywhere near powerless, despite how you make it sound.

We only lack power when we just sit back and watch things unfold, rather than taking even a very minimal active role - a letter or phone call, for instance. It never ceases to amaze me how people today go around with a phone practically every waking moment, yet can't spare even a moment to express their complaints and concerns to those who do hold the authority and responsibility to make a difference. And that's hardly isolated to The Walt Disney Company.

Somethings are utility functions. The buses are a prime example of that. They exist to move people to and from the parks. If you get some kind of jollys over riding on the bus, then that is a plus for you, but, that is not their purpose and not their mission.

The "utility function" of resort transportation wasn't originally supposed to lie primarily with the buses anyway; Those monorails, trains, and ferryboats? They are part of the show, as well as fulfilling a necessary transport function.

I'm sorry, but we need to mature a little and be able to distinguish between a utility function and what is part of the show. RcRN is an attraction and it is themed to look like the story line. There is no story line in the backdoor exit alley.

There is no reason something which fills a "utility function" need be completely utilitarian and boring in appearance. I don't think anyone is suggesting it absolutely must have the level of detail of New Fantasyland, but that Disney can - and should - do very much better than exposed, ugly backstage areas. Facades aren't that expensive.

We are not in a position to make that determination and the only power we do have, we refuse to use. That would be not going back.

That's not the only power we have, not even close.

It's all a waste of time. Worrying or even caring about an exit alleyway that is only used, at best, once a day, is crazy and completely unreasonable.

How often does the alley have to be used before it becomes important? Seriously, if the exit need not be themed or attractively presented because most guests won't see it, how many people actually do need to receive an inferior experience before it becomes important enough to make a minimal effort to make the alley part of the "show".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It can be argued that the availability of the bypass does serve to facilitate additional sales, by getting people who just want to leave out of the way. When all of Main Street and the shops are essentially a solid, slow moving mob of people from Town Square to the hub it is hardly conducive to shopping. There is also the safety issue of such a large sea of people all massed in one corridor, so yes, there are benefits to Disney from this bypass in addition to guest service (but are assault charges really a serious concern???).
This is how I see it too. Providing an alternate exit for people who don't want to pass through a store is a positive for all guests. Shoppers have more room to shop and people who just want to get the heck out can. Win/win.

It's ironic that one of the bigger complaints around here (and a justified complaint) is that the stores on Main Street sell the same genetic crap but now people are upset that Disney isn't making this alley into more retail space. in this case Disney is giving up an opportunity to make more money in order to offer guests a quick exit. Guest experience ahead of profits.

the.dreamfinder

Interesting.

So they're not intended for the park, but are samples by contractors attempting to show Disney that they could build to spec if they were hired?
@Lee would know best, but IIRC the samples are used to test color schemes, textures, and most likely in the case of the castle, make sure the scale achieves its intended effect.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It's ironic that one of the bigger complaints around here (and a justified complaint) is that the stores on Main Street sell the same genetic **** but now people are upset that Disney isn't making this alley into more retail space. in this case Disney is giving up an opportunity to make more money in order to offer guests a quick exit. Guest experience ahead of profits.
Access to the shops would be crucial to making a proper arcade viable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom