The Spirited Back Nine ...

lazyboy97o

I've been caught up in that mess trying to get out of there either during a parade or before Fireworks. It is not a pleasant experience and when tired trying to weave your way through that crowd is anything but fun or beneficial to me. I would find it to be a huge convenience and I don't think I am the only one that would.
And if Disney was being run by people who get theme parks and their own history then they'd offer you a great convenience as well as an opportunity to buy.

Soarin' Over Pgh

And if Disney was being run by people who get theme parks and their own history then they'd offer you a great convenience as well as an opportunity to buy.

Bingo.

Tourists with money in hand heading toward exit. Prime opportunity to go in for the kill (on their $$$$$$$).

The bakery got me last year, for $38, as I was exiting the park. If I didn't see the shop, smell the sickly sweet cotton candy scent, I wouldn't have ventured in on my own. Money in hand, heading towards the exit, had to stop at "just one more" store....I'm not the first, and certainly not the last.

That candy apple was worth every bit of the $10 and easily 3,000 calories. :hungry:

Little Green Men

Then why is it open??? If it's not finished it should not be open. If open and Still being worked on then I think we can safely say show is dead at WDW

Not to mention the lost merchandising opportunities but WDW is too busy picking up pennies whole dollars fly overhead,
Alright now you're just complaining to complain. Or you don't know what you're talking about. This area was NEVER themed, it will be used the same amount of time as before, but they're making it look at least presentable. Why would they create alternate entrances i the bypass won't even be used most of the time?

NearTheEars

My last visit we were ushered through a bypass that spit us up in the square where we hit a wall of people anyway. If this is the same bypass, it's pretty terrible and really needs to route you right out of the park.

I believe that would be the one. But I personally haven't taken it yet.
To someone just looking at the numbers, it is not a convenience. They're already not making the sales and the only example of proper arcades is at a park that has never had the guest spending numbers Disney desired. Why would real arcades with store access be bad for Disney or guests?

Again, though, isn't the point of this bypass to quickly move people out of the park, away from the congestion of main street, where there are tons of shops, and people stopping to purchase things?

It just seems if there was shop access, or new stores on a second street, it would just lead to continued congestion.

But also again, it should still be nicely themed. I just don't agree that there needs to be opportunities for people to stop and hold people up on a bypass trying to avoid that.

lazyboy97o

I believe that would be the one. But I personally haven't taken it yet.

Again, though, isn't the point of this bypass to quickly move people out of the park, away from the congestion of main street, where there are tons of shops, and people stopping to purchase things?

It just seems if there was shop access, or new stores on a second street, it would just lead to continued congestion.

But also again, it should still be nicely themed. I just don't agree that there needs to be opportunities for people to stop and hold people up on a bypass trying to avoid that.
The point is that Disney in their shortsightedness once again missed the dollars flying overhead as they picked up pennies on the ground. Disneyland Paris style arcade could have been opened all day, offered a better experience at all times and still provided revenue generating opportunities for Disney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

And there is the crux of the master WDW is not being run by people who understand its history and/or care about operating theme parks.

And so we get something like the bypass which basically herds the cattle out of the park once Disney is done with them.

Just really bad show and another example of how the keys to the kingdom are largely ignored for those who don't know the 'keys to the kingdom' are the operating principles which once governed WDW.

Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency and they are in order for a reason. Their relative importance. Once upon a time SHOW always trumped efficiency, As this bypass demonstrates this is no longer true.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The point is that Disney in their shortsightedness once again missed the dollars flying overhead as they picked up pennies on the ground. Disneyland Paris style arcade could have been opened all day, offered a better experience at all times and still provided revenue generating opportunities for Disney.

This needs a thousand likes

Soarin' Over Pgh

Man, you guys really get worked up over a simple exit corridor.

We will debate anything until it's dying, dead, totally dead, super dead, without a chance of reincarnation and if it does, we will debate it again.

This is what happens when there's no real "news" or excitement over concept art or new christmas time shows or anything noteworthy. We argue walkways. Toilets, too!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Alright now you're just complaining to complain. Or you don't know what you're talking about. This area was NEVER themed, it will be used the same amount of time as before, but they're making it look at least presentable. Why would they create alternate entrances i the bypass won't even be used most of the time?

Yes this area was NEVER THEMED but it was also never opened to the guests except in the event of an evacuation as such theming was not needed as it was considered a backstage area.

Now it's a regular guest area and in a gesture which telegraphs TDO contempt for their guests. It's not themed because 'the rubes will never notice'

There was a time when SHOW mattered at WDW apparently no longer

Goofyernmost

You say that like I want to buy something. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I have had to exit through the stores on Main Street, I just looked straight ahead and kept walking. If I want to buy something I will go out thru the stores or will have taken care of that earlier.

Animaniac93-98

One would have to go to DLP to fully appreciate this. Same with knowing they have "attractions" in the form of museum type displays, or that they have additional restrooms and merchandise carts within them too.

It's a case of ignorance is bliss for most, but for those of us who know what Disney has done before, it's disappointing to see them take the easy way out.

It's also my opinion that as soon as something becomes intended for guest use it's stops being a "backstage" area and should be themed on par with on stage spaces.

Goofyernmost

Yes this area was NEVER THEMED but it was also never opened to the guests except in the event of an evacuation as such theming was not needed as it was considered a backstage area.

Now it's a regular guest area and in a gesture which telegraphs TDO contempt for their guests. It's not themed because 'the rubes will never notice'

There was a time when SHOW mattered at WDW apparently no longer
Perhaps the "Rubes", as you so sensitively put it, are realistic and grounded enough to know that it is a utility location. It isn't meant to be themed, it is strictly to help people out of the park. How in the hell would one theme an alley anyway? Put little Disney character that pop up on the way by and demand your money? Tell me, when you leave Fantasmic through the back path, (back stage) and there is no theming there, unless you consider dumpsters a theme, is that a problem? Why not? I've never heard anyone complain about that.

Personally, I'm upset because the toilet paper in the men's room does not have pictures of Disney princesses on the roll. If they knew anything about running a theme park, they would care enough to never leave the theme, no matter what the circumstances might be.

I would rather spend all my time with a "rube" then a minute with those that have so much pixie dust in their eyes that any variation in what they have decided is the "way it should be" get's them all upset over things that aren't even worth the time of day to discuss. Here's the thing, an alley way exit is not now nor ever will be a part of the show. It is the backdoor exit from the show.

NormC

Whether it's finished or not is sorta of academic, since they have been letting people through that are long before they even started to theme it.
Exactly. It has been "Open" for years and not just for emergencies or evacuations. Now they are trying to make it look a bit nicer and people still complain. Human nature I guess. If it had access to the stores it would not be a bypass.

Last edited:

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
It's not so much realism as it is a need for the series to play by its own rules.
Fantasy and science fiction by definition break or bend the established rules of our world and substitute their own, ie. Superman flies but kryptonite makes him weak. The forcefields in Dune will stop a speeding bullet but a slow-moving poison knife can be maneuvered through them. The One Ring makes a hobbit wearing it invisible but attracts the attention of Sauron by doing so, etc. It's important that once these alternate rules are established that the work of fiction follow them for the most part, because unless the reader/viewer understands the basic mechanics of what the characters are doing, there's no way to understand what the danger or stakes are in any particular situation.

The rules of Star Wars tell us that lightsabers cut through everything, especially flesh and metal (like the metal parts of other lightsabers) so how a lightsaber with a hilt made of metal is supposed to be useful is a valid question.

Colbert explained it all last night... The actual saber is inside the outer sheath and is a fully connected cross.;)

CDavid

Wait, there's something that I apparently do not understand. Let's see if I got this right. Disney is sacrificing additional income to open, for pedestrians a pathway out of the crowd. It seems to me that the only folks that benefit from using that path would be the guests. How dare Disney put the guest convenience over additional sales. Seriously, some of you guys have to make up your mind. Is Disney a money grabbing evil entity or do they occasionally put the needs of the guests above either profit or show?

Personally I would gladly give up a themed exit to just get out of that crowd on Main Street. I don't need a theme to leave the park, I just want to get out without assault charges being levied against me for inappropriate brushing into other people. Not to mention, the blessed thing isn't done yet, but, lets complain about lack of theming.

It can be argued that the availability of the bypass does serve to facilitate additional sales, by getting people who just want to leave out of the way. When all of Main Street and the shops are essentially a solid, slow moving mob of people from Town Square to the hub it is hardly conducive to shopping. There is also the safety issue of such a large sea of people all massed in one corridor, so yes, there are benefits to Disney from this bypass in addition to guest service (but are assault charges really a serious concern???).

I would rather spend all my time with a "rube" then a minute with those that have so much pixie dust in their eyes that any variation in what they have decided is the "way it should be" get's them all upset over things that aren't even worth the time of day to discuss. Here's the thing, an alley way exit is not now nor ever will be a part of the show. It is the backdoor exit from the show.

And yet here you are with the rest of us, all discussing the matter in excruciating detail. Which is perfectly fine (and usually enjoyable - even sometimes productive), but don't pretend there is no irony in spending time discussing things which aren't "worth the time of day to discuss". ;)

Cesar R M

Man, you guys really get worked up over a simple exit corridor.
exit corridors are
GKqjSV7.jpg

serious business.

Goofyernmost

And yet here you are with the rest of us, all discussing the matter in excruciating detail. Which is perfectly fine (and usually enjoyable - even sometimes productive), but don't pretend there is no irony in spending time discussing things which aren't "worth the time of day to discuss". ;)
I suppose that is true, except I'm not talking about the wonderfulness or dreadfulness of the aforementioned alley as much as I am talking about it ever even being a talking point. Good or bad it's there and calling people names because they are not "offended" by it, is an obsession in it's highest form.

I didn't start the discussion, but, I did feel it necessary to defend those people that are not quite as retentive as others. Me being one of them. Call me a Rube if you like, but, just like those on the other side, I think I am right in my way of thinking and blanket branding needs to be answered. There are reasons why things happen, some are logical and some are not, but, we all see the world differently and one opinion is no more valid then another. But it is important that other opinions be heard even if it isn't the most important topic in the world.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The rules of Star Wars tell us that lightsabers cut through everything, especially flesh and metal (like the metal parts of other lightsabers) so how a lightsaber with a hilt made of metal is supposed to be useful is a valid question.
In the EU there are several metals that can withstand a light saber. Mandalorian iron being one of the more recognized. Bobba and Jango Fet wore Mandalorian Armor. Bobba became the leader of the Mandalorians and even trained Jaina Solo, daughter of Han and Leia to help her defeat her brother, Darth Caedus.

Cortosis was a mineral that was resistant and could even short out a light saber.

Also, what I think could be the explanation for the light saber we see in the new trailer is that the Sith used alchemy and would perform rituals to create metals. They could even be used against light sabers. This could explain the design of his saber. If JJ Abrams were to borrow any ideas from the EU, this would be a good one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You should try setting up a VPN in the States then. This gives priority service with the bonus of appearing in (by IP) in the States. I use my VPN around the world to appear where I am not. (VPN traffic as I mentioned before is "priority" traffic so speeds may be faster.)

PrivateInternetAccess is a decent service.

*1023*

You guys also over look he needs not just network access - but a payment identity in the US as well. His accounts are with the non-US version of the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom