The Spirited Back Nine ...

mahnamahna101

I was speaking facetiously, of course, but just the same, Star Wars really isn't a part of the Disney universe, despite its purchase by Iger, so the same suspension of disbelief I apply to, say, Peter Pan, can't really be applied to that galaxy far, far away. And so I still think the new hilt-lights in that lightsabre are pretty dumb, frankly, and I'd still like to know how they're not cutting the guy's fingers off AND what the heck they're for anyway. Aside from making SW fanbois go "squee!"
Star Wars features the following:
Lightsabers
Spaceships
Droids
Wookies (basically a Bigfoot-esque species)
Blaster guns
The Force (mystical power used by Jedi - more or less MAGIC)
Ewoks (furry little critters)
Pod racers
Alien species
Lightspeed travel
Taun-Tauns
Freezing a person in carbonate while they're alive (similar to what's rumored about Walt... it's false)
Floating cities

....and you honestly expect realism??? Star Wars is just as fantastical as Disney animation - it's not a fanboy attitude. Both require suspension of disbelief... and with classic Disney and the original Star Wars trilogy they succeed at this. The prequels... another story. Same goes for Marvel and DC (except for Batman and their grittier IPs).

Bairstow

Star Wars features the following:
Lightsabers
Spaceships
Droids
Wookies (basically a Bigfoot-esque species)
Blaster guns
The Force (mystical power used by Jedi - more or less MAGIC)
Ewoks (furry little critters)
Pod racers
Alien species
Lightspeed travel
Taun-Tauns
Freezing a person in carbonate while they're alive (similar to what's rumored about Walt... it's false)
Floating cities

....and you honestly expect realism??? Star Wars is just as fantastical as Disney animation - it's not a fanboy attitude. Both require suspension of disbelief... and with classic Disney and the original Star Wars trilogy they succeed at this. The prequels... another story. Same goes for Marvel and DC (except for Batman and their grittier IPs).

It's not so much realism as it is a need for the series to play by its own rules.
Fantasy and science fiction by definition break or bend the established rules of our world and substitute their own, ie. Superman flies but kryptonite makes him weak. The forcefields in Dune will stop a speeding bullet but a slow-moving poison knife can be maneuvered through them. The One Ring makes a hobbit wearing it invisible but attracts the attention of Sauron by doing so, etc. It's important that once these alternate rules are established that the work of fiction follow them for the most part, because unless the reader/viewer understands the basic mechanics of what the characters are doing, there's no way to understand what the danger or stakes are in any particular situation.

The rules of Star Wars tell us that lightsabers cut through everything, especially flesh and metal (like the metal parts of other lightsabers) so how a lightsaber with a hilt made of metal is supposed to be useful is a valid question.

Phil12

It's not so much realism as it is a need for the series to play by its own rules.
Fantasy and science fiction by definition break or bend the established rules of our world and substitute their own, ie. Superman flies but kryptonite makes him weak. The forcefields in Dune will stop a speeding bullet but a slow-moving poison knife can be maneuvered through them. The One Ring makes a hobbit wearing it invisible but attracts the attention of Sauron by doing so, etc. It's important that once these alternate rules are established that the work of fiction follow them for the most part, because unless the reader/viewer understands the basic mechanics of what the characters are doing, there's no way to understand what the danger or stakes are in any particular situation.

The rules of Star Wars tell us that lightsabers cut through everything, especially flesh and metal (like the metal parts of other lightsabers) so how a lightsaber with a hilt made of metal is supposed to be useful is a valid question.
Explaining the abstract quantum mechanics of the fantasy world is useful for the explanation of improbable results.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is not finished yet.
Then why is it open??? If it's not finished it should not be open. If open and Still being worked on then I think we can safely say show is dead at WDW

Not to mention the lost merchandising opportunities but WDW is too busy picking up pennies whole dollars fly overhead,

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Then why is it open??? If it's not finished it should not be open. If open and Still being worked on then I think we can safely say show is dead at WDW

Not to mention the lost merchandising opportunities but WDW is too busy picking up pennies whole dollars fly overhead,

Whether it's finished or not is sorta of academic, since they have been letting people through that are long before they even started to theme it.

Goofyernmost

Wait, there's something that I apparently do not understand. Let's see if I got this right. Disney is sacrificing additional income to open, for pedestrians a pathway out of the crowd. It seems to me that the only folks that benefit from using that path would be the guests. How dare Disney put the guest convenience over additional sales. Seriously, some of you guys have to make up your mind. Is Disney a money grabbing evil entity or do they occasionally put the needs of the guests above either profit or show?

Personally I would gladly give up a themed exit to just get out of that crowd on Main Street. I don't need a theme to leave the park, I just want to get out without assault charges being levied against me for inappropriate brushing into other people. Not to mention, the blessed thing isn't done yet, but, lets complain about lack of theming.

Last edited:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
blocked and not available in my country.. trust me, I tried.. I have PRIME service.

You should try setting up a VPN in the States then. This gives priority service with the bonus of appearing in (by IP) in the States. I use my VPN around the world to appear where I am not. (VPN traffic as I mentioned before is "priority" traffic so speeds may be faster.)

PrivateInternetAccess is a decent service.

*1023*

bhg469

I understand the anger about the little themeing of the bypass, but not the "lost opportunity" to add more shops and such.

That would defeat the whole purpose of the bypass: to quickly, and easily move people out of the park.
My last visit we were ushered through a bypass that spit us up in the square where we hit a wall of people anyway. If this is the same bypass, it's pretty terrible and really needs to route you right out of the park.

lazyboy97o

Wait, there's something that I apparently do not understand. Let's see if I got this right. Disney is sacrificing additional income to open, for pedestrians a pathway out of the crowd. It seems to me that the only folks that benefit from using that path would be the guests. How dare Disney put the guest convenience over additional sales. Seriously, some of you guys have to make up your mind. Is Disney a money grabbing evil entity or do they occasionally put the needs of the guests above either profit or show.

Personally I would gladly give up a themed exit to just get out of that crowd on Main Street. I don't need a theme to leave the park, I just want to get out without assault charges being levied against me for inappropriate brushing into other people. Not to mention, the blessed thing isn't done yet, but, lets complain about lack of theming.
To someone just looking at the numbers, it is not a convenience. They're already not making the sales and the only example of proper arcades is at a park that has never had the guest spending numbers Disney desired. Why would real arcades with store access be bad for Disney or guests?

Phil12

See 'journal of irreproducible results' yes it is a real book.
2f4843b0-85b8-437e-81ea-1e82bcc6d17d.jpg

That's an odd name for a book. ;)

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Inside the Magic has a full breakdown of that Discovery Bay panel at Destination D
http://www./2014/12/discovery-bay-d...ands-never-built-steampunk-style-attractions/

Land aside, I really want that TV show

Mike S

Inside the Magic has a full breakdown of that Discovery Bay panel at Destination D
http://www./2014/12/discovery-bay-d...ands-never-built-steampunk-style-attractions/

Land aside, I really want that TV show

Read it earlier. Very cool concept.

Goofyernmost

To someone just looking at the numbers, it is not a convenience. They're already not making the sales and the only example of proper arcades is at a park that has never had the guest spending numbers Disney desired. Why would real arcades with store access be bad for Disney or guests?
I've been caught up in that mess trying to get out of there either during a parade or before Fireworks. It is not a pleasant experience and when tired trying to weave your way through that crowd is anything but fun or beneficial to me. I would find it to be a huge convenience and I don't think I am the only one that would.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom