The Spirited 11th Hour ...

PhotoDave219

Domestic attendance for the quarter was up 10% but that included nearly an entire extra week during Christmas. (Last year's Q1 ended December 27. This year's Q1 ended January 2.)

To give you some idea of the importance of those days, Disney reported that Parks & Resorts operating income was up $176M but more than half of that ($90M) was due to those few extra days.

Thus, a good chunk of the attendance increase was due to the extra days during holiday season included in the quarter.

Also of interest:
  • Per Capita Guest Spending: Up 7%
  • Per Room Guest Spending: Up 9%
  • Room Occupancy: 92%
You have to go back to 3Q2008 to find the last time room occupancy was 92% for a quarter.

During the Q&A, COO Tom Staggs mentioned potentially "expanding our hotel capacity down the road."

Disney's domestic theme parks are humming. Disney is recognizing this and is finally opening up the spigots on capital spending at WDW. The next several years should be the most exciting time at WDW this century.

I just wish they didn't move at the glacial pace that they do. Good to see occupancy at 92% but was that due to bodies in rooms or rooms out of inventory?

MKCP 1985

Marvel being less concerned about "wider appeal" and being true to their characters has won them a wider audience and repeated box office success. The repeated attempts to "give people what they want" is similarly a big part of Warner Bros. continuing to bumble around for decades.
Maybe so, but I will make you a friendly wager of a Mickey ice cream bar that when ticket sales are done, more people will have gone to see the Dark Knight Rises (Batman vs Joker) than Batman vs Superman.

ParentsOf4

I just wish they didn't move at the glacial pace that they do. Good to see occupancy at 92% but was that due to bodies in rooms or rooms out of inventory?
I'll wait for the 10Q to fully answer you but I'm unaware of any appreciable drop in available room nights.

Most amusement parks reported strong numbers for 2015 so it really shouldn't be a surprise that this also shows up at Disney's domestic hotels.

DisneyRoy

Oh believe me, we are all very aware of that. My guess is that for the films to be successful on the level the studios expect, they need to draw a broader audience than the devoted comic book fans. I question whether people will turn out in the same numbers for civil war versus Avengers going against "the bad guys."

Civil War will be bigger than Avengers 2. This one is tracking huge from what I have seen. This story line IS what people want to see. Followed closely by Infinity War saga. It's once Marvel phase III is concluded that I think we will begin to see the drop off. Infinity War has been pegged as the end game since Iron Man 2 came out. So after that, we get into more minor characters and I think the product will be watered down and eventually peter out.

lazyboy97o

Maybe so, but I will make you a friendly wager of a Mickey ice cream bar that when ticket sales are done, more people will have gone to see the Dark Knight Rises (Batman vs Joker) than Batman vs Superman.
That's not really a wager relevant to my point. I have no high expectations for Batman v. Superman because I think it is very much trying to "give people what they want," which Warner Bros. sees as gritty (Nolan films) and lots of characters (Marvel films) without actually understanding why each works.

MattM

Domestic attendance for the quarter was up 10% but that included nearly an entire extra week during Christmas. (Last year's Q1 ended December 27. This year's Q1 ended January 2.)

To give you some idea of the importance of those days, Disney reported that Parks & Resorts operating income was up $176M but more than half of that ($90M) was due to those few extra days.

Thus, a good chunk of the attendance increase was due to the extra days during holiday season included in the quarter.

Also of interest:
You have to go back to 3Q2008 to find the last time room occupancy was 92% for a quarter.

During the Q&A, COO Tom Staggs mentioned potentially "expanding our hotel capacity down the road."

Disney's domestic theme parks are humming. Disney is recognizing this and is finally opening up the spigots on capital spending at WDW. The next several years should be the most exciting time at WDW this century.
But our beloved Ford Explorer fan says TWDC is on the brink of dissolution. What gives? ;)

IowaHawks7

Adventureland Liberty Square GM, Ann Williams 35+

GM Studios F&B;
I have experience working with Ann Williams from when I was a CP. She is great. From what I gained from her she has a strong knowledge of Disney Parks, F&B, and Retail. I think she will be great at MK. But i do not know about the other positions. But Ann is great and will be a really good fit for Adventureland/Liberty Square.

Cesar R M

Batman vs Superman seems to be taken from Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns." Which was genius and should not be made into a movie.

I'm betting Deadpool overperforms.
meh, I would have loved a movie about the comic arc "Kingdom Come" with Alex Ross's amazing art.

Cesar R M

Also of interest:

Question, how much of that guest spending is because of higher prices?
I notice that some restaurants have lowered the amount of food they offered, but yet have higher prices.

NearTheEars

But our beloved Ford Explorer fan says TWDC is on the brink of dissolution. What gives? ;)

It's kind of like that guy that keeps predicting the end of the world every few years.

I hear the "but they just love the company sooooo much! That's why they are angry" reasoning thrown around here a lot. And I think that is a fair description for many passionate fans here.

Not sure that applies to Exploder at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom