The Spirited 11th Hour ...

lazyboy97o

Pot, meet kettle. We are talking TFA and the implications it is a failure. In no way is that true. I know they push the new math nowadays, but unless you are using a broken slide rule, this movie is exceeding expectations and may, after RE releases. Make it to 2.5B
I have never said anything about Star Wars: The Force Awakens being a failure and that is still unrelated to the issue of constantly needing high box office grosses.

Sped2424

So does that mean that in order to be strong and brave, a woman has to be gay? I guess the stereotypes are not going away real soon are they.
That's really really rude of you to assume that was what people saw in her being coded lgbt in the first place? Also note how I never claimed she was canoically gay, but that her story resonated with the lgbt community due to her arc and the similarities lgbt people face growing up. You'll find conceal don't feel don't let it show takes a whole different meaning to someone who has actually had to hide who they are to the rest of the world. If you want to see more reasons as to why she is seen among some as possible lgbt representation I recommend you check this link so you can understand where me and so many others are coming from before you make comments like the one above.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's really really rude of you to assume that was what people saw in her being coded lgbt in the first place? Also note how I never claimed she was canoically gay, but that her story resonated with the lgbt community due to her arc and the similarities lgbt people face growing up. You'll find conceal don't feel don't let it show takes a whole different meaning to someone who has actually had to hide who they are to the rest of the world. If you want to see more reasons as to why she is seen among some as possible lgbt representation I recommend you check this link so you can understand where me and so many others are coming from before you make comments like the one above.

I'm sure her story resonates with a lot of people, gay and straight. You're acting like the LGBT community has exclusive rights to her or something.

Goofyernmost

Funny, I thought you were relaying what others thought, not what you thought. Besides, even if I did think you were talking for yourself, I fail to see how it was rude to express something that obvious. It really doesn't matter what the "link" says the whole idea and attitude that a female needs to be gay to be strong, is totally rude and incorrect. All a woman needs to be strong is strength of character not an association with a group or lifestyle. And the idea that her character is solely a manifestation of a particular lifestyle is offensive.

If what you're saying is that you are just a messenger, then I can understand that you are just explaining what others might think which is the way I read it. I was commenting on another social condition that just when we think we have overcome it as a society, it shows up again.

Sped2424

I'm sure her story resonates with a lot of people, gay and straight. You're acting like the LGBT community has exclusive rights to her or something.
Please stop putting words in my mouth. I am acting like someone on here stated that in order to view her story and arc as gay that they were simply responding to a stereotype. Nowhere did I say you couldn't see her as straight or that her story was any less important when viewed that lens. I did say that the other side of that view is just as valid which is funny that you don't want to accept that. And god forbid the lgbt community gets a disney character that can be viewed as some good representation for them. I am not saying Elsa is it because she is far from it, but there is an interpretation by many that's just as valid as the one you hold. If you find me at fault for wanting to defend that so be it.

Sped2424

Funny, I thought you were relaying what others thought, not what you thought. Besides, even if I did think you were talking for yourself, I fail to see how it was rude to express something that obvious. It really doesn't matter what the "link" says the whole idea and attitude that a female needs to be gay to be strong, is totally rude and incorrect. All a woman needs to be strong is strength of character not an association with a group or lifestyle. And the idea that her character is solely a manifestation of a particular lifestyle is offensive.

If what you're saying is that you are just a messenger, then I can understand that you are just explaining what others might think which is the way I read it. I was commenting on another social condition that just when we think we have overcome it as a society, it shows up again.
But I never once made that argument that she was gay simply because she was a strong woman, and the link I put explains the train of thought I and many others have in seeing that interpretation of the story and the character. That's all I meant in my original comment.

Sped2424

Wait, isn't that part of the story line for Frozen?
It is, I mean in a real world application being gay and that line are very much two things that work in tandem especially growing up so. Like I said if you want to read the link and see for yourself where this idea comes from go do it.

Goofyernmost

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I am acting like someone on here stated that in order to view her story and arc as gay that they were simply responding to a stereotype. Nowhere did I say you couldn't see her as straight or that her story was any less important when viewed that lens. I did say that the other side of that view is just as valid which is funny that you don't want to accept that. And god forbid the lgbt community gets a disney character that can be viewed as some good representation for them. I am not saying Elsa is it because she is far from it, but there is an interpretation by many that's just as valid as the one you hold. If you find me at fault for wanting to defend that so be it.
Once again... I was commenting on a social situation, not your involvement in it. I quoted you because you had the background topic that matched my comment. I was not assuming you were or were not part of the situation. There was nothing personal directed toward you in my comments. Sorry, if you felt that it was.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Please stop putting words in my mouth. I am acting like someone on here stated that in order to view her story and arc as gay that they were simply responding to a stereotype. Nowhere did I say you couldn't see her as straight or that her story was any less important when viewed that lens. I did say that the other side of that view is just as valid which is funny that you and that other person seem to not want to accept. And god forbid the lgbt community gets a disney character that can be viewed as some good representation for them. I am not saying Elsa is it because she is far from it, but there is an interpretation by many that's just as valid as the one you hold. If you find me at fault for wanting to defend that so be it.

I don't hold any interpretation. I said her story resonates with many, gay and straight. I'm not sure what there is for you to defend.

I also pointed out how you were coming across to me at least. Your elaboration here however changes that somewhat, as I understand your view a bit better now.

Sped2424

Once again... I was commenting on a social situation, not your involvement in it. I quoted you because you had the background topic that matched my comment. I was not assuming you were or were not part of the situation. There was nothing personal directed toward you in my comments. Sorry, if you felt that it was.
That comment wasn't directed at you but that other guy lol!

Sped2424

I don't hold any interpretation. I said her story resonates with many, gay and straight. I'm not sure what there is for you to defend.

I also pointed out how you were coming across to me at least. Your elaboration here however changes that somewhat, as I understand your view a bit better now.
You said "You're acting like the LGBT community has exclusive rights to her or something." Which is something I never wanted to claim nor infer! That's all I meant!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You said "You're acting like the LGBT community has exclusive rights to her or something." Which is something I never wanted to claim nor infer! That's all I meant!

Ok. Gotcha. As I said, that is how you were coming across to me. And as I mentioned above, your further elaboration changed my opinion now as I better understand what you're saying.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Grab a Snickers girls, y'all aren't right.

snickers_brady_bunch_super_bowl_1422636872506_12882413_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Mike S

To whom it may concern, the concert was absolutely amazing :D
If Eternity Should Fail
Speed of Light
Children of the Damned
Tears of a Clown
The Red and the Black
The Trooper
Powerslave
Death or Glory
The Book of Souls
image.jpeg
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
image.jpeg
Encore
The Number of the Beast
image.png
Blood Brothers
Wasted Years

Fun fact: this was the first time they've played Children of the Damned and/or Powerslave at any show since the last time I saw them on April 2, 2009. They were very welcome surprises for me :)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have never said anything about Star Wars: The Force Awakens being a failure and that is still unrelated to the issue of constantly needing high box office grosses.

The issue at hand is unrealistic expectations for film grosses in the Financial Analyst community, Let's face it a film which makes it's production/promotion/distribution budget back is a success by any measure whether one likes the picture or not.

What Iger fostered was that TFA was going to break all motion picture financial records in it's first month of release, Sorry it did not do that so its a 'failure' even though it will probably eventually break all motion picture records,

Iger set expectations that no film could ever meet so the 'Street is punishing Disney for setting the bar unrealistically high, And if you think any US based analyst is going to admit that they hung a BUY on Disney because of TFA well I want whatever you are smoking because it's good stuff.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
To whom it may concern, the concert was absolutely amazing :D
If Eternity Should Fail
Speed of Light
Children of the Damned
Tears of a Clown
The Red and the Black
The Trooper
Powerslave
Death or Glory
The Book of Souls
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore
The Number of the Beast
Blood Brothers
Wasted Years

Fun fact: this was the first time they've played Children of the Damned and/or Powerslave at any show since the last time I saw them on April 2, 2009. They were very welcome surprises for me :)

Not too shabby. I have to wait till June when they close Download. Will they top Sabbaths last ever UK show the day previously? Big ask.

Anyway, back to our normal programming and the sound of the ubber loyalists circling those defensive wagons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom