The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
We NYers love hearing people from SoCal and Florida call 60 degrees cold! Haha I remember I was in Florida a few years ago and it was 60 all week. People had their giant winter coats on! Haha today in NYC it's 50 and I considered that too warm for a jacket lol. Though I envy the fact that 60 degrees is considered cold lol
I was in Buffalo, Sunday - Tuesday and the daytime high was 36 (that's 2 celcius for me), with no new snow accumulation, so I wore flip flops the whole time.
I passed a guy coming out of the Bon Ton, wearing shorts and flip flops.

We Northerners are made of sterner stuff.

bhg469

I was in Buffalo, Sunday - Tuesday and the daytime high was 36 (that's 2 celcius for me), with no new snow accumulation, so I wore flip flops the whole time.

The only weather I can't handle up here is when its too"warm" for snow and all you get is rain that is about 38 degrees. Worst feeling in the world. I'll take below freezing any day of the week over 40s and rain. Having said that we WNYers and Canadians love to pick on each other but we are truly cut from the same cloth.

MerlinTheGoat

Never been to one. And never been to Rochester or Buffalo either. I'll take Paris, Tokyo or Lake Como!

That said, I think Publix is quality and a pretty consistent place to shop for groceries. I want to shop Whole Foods, but I don't want to pay their prices. Those are basically the options here unless you buy groceries at Target (I do sometimes) or Walmart (never!) ... As a child, we had so many chains here ... everything from A&P to Grand Union to Pantry Pride to Winn-Dixie (only the last one still exists here and with about 85% smaller market share than say 25 years ago).

I miss Bristol Farms from my days living in SoCal. Nothing anywhere beat them.
One thing i've unquestionably learned is that a grocery you previously thought you loved or hated can change your opinion with a different store branch. It's something I noticed about both Publix and Whole Foods. And while I detest Wal Mart as a corporation, we have a surprisingly nice singular Wal Mart store where I live currently (the employees are generally very nice and it's kept quite clean, even the clientele tend to look somewhat more upscale than i'd ever have imagined from my previous negative experiences with Wal Mart). Doesn't mean Wal Mart is suddenly a good store, but that particular one is surprisingly well run from what I had previously seen from the company (it was also built in a pretty nice part of town and attracts a more discerning type of customer than what one would normally see from a lesser Wal Mart built near dilapidated parts of cities).

I used to be a huge Publix fan. I visited Florida often as a child and we always wished they'd expand up north into Tennessee (our old home). Years later this happened and it was very welcome (especially as a number of our older groceries had gone belly up by then). Though I think one reason it remained a good choice up there was because they were competing with another rather big grocery, Kroger. Both stores consistently had huge crowds during this competitive phase. When there's a lack of decent competition, i've noticed the groceries tend to suck a lot more, including keeping decent stock, prices and employee behavior. That's how it was when Kroger didn't have much competition in our area until Publix came along, they changed dramatically when that happened as they found themselves forced to compete against an aggressive competitor. Once Publix arrived, there began a really huge pricing war between the two (particularly offering deals such as double or triple coupons) and I noticed the Kroger stores began to dramatically improve their employee behavior and other aspects.

Unfortunately my opinion of Publix has become rather split after moving to Florida a few years back. From my experience they are very hit or miss. And it could be because there just isn't much competition except for Wal Mart or some smaller health stores such as Whole Foods. Sweet Bay and Winn Dixie are the closest thing you get to any sort of decent competition, and recently Sweet Bay just closed a number of stores in our area (not at all impressed with them from my experience either- generally high prices, hit or miss fresh foods such as produce as well as bad employees from what i've seen of several locations in my general area). Winn Dixie is pretty good but it's a rather long drive to get to the nicer one (there's one closer but the management isn't very good at that one). Publix doesn't seem to have much to worry about competition wise where I live. This may explain why i've seen a decline lately.

There are exceptions, but Publix's employee behavior has become hit or miss lately. Recently i'ver come across an alarming amount of unpleasant and snotty people working there, and some that seem annoyed whenever you're forced to interact with them (there's one in particular that consistently leaves a nasty taste in my mouth whenever I visit). They are also beginning to price themselves above even Whole Foods (which btw also used to have a very unpleasant and snotty staff in my location when I first moved here but has begun to clean up their act lately in an attempt to compete with Publix). Trader Joe's also seems like a nice store, particularly if you're like me and tend to go for produce, nuts and other such fresh items. Very friendly staff from the only two locations I've had experience with. It could be different in the areas where you live Spirit (again all groceries are different and this includes both management and pricing within the same chain), but from my experience there are a number of good alternative stores that are trying to compete against Publix in terms of pricing and service. Even Whole Foods.

I've also noticed Publix is having a pricing war with Wal Mart lately as many of their customers have actually switched over to other groceries instead (i've heard a lot of people express displeasure with Publix as of late, and not too long ago the Publix corporate leaders got into a very Walmart-like situation regarding abysmal working conditions and pay of some of the employees on their corporate farms).

So I guess you could say it's like Disney parks- the quality of attractions in one park as well as the way it's managed and run is not indicative of the others scattered around the world.

Last edited:

bhg469

^^ Ill go one step further here and say while the wegmans stores vary by location, in offered food and services not by quality of service. Everything down to the paint and lighting must be thought out. The stores are a bit darker than most but its noticeably more welcoming. They reinvented the super market like disney reinvented the theme park. If you go to any brand new giant eagle you see subtle nods to wegmans but its still not quite right. I just hope wegmans doesn't decide to rip out there sandwich counter one day and try to sell me a T-shirt with a big turkey sub on it... :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We NYers love hearing people from SoCal and Florida call 60 degrees cold! Haha I remember I was in Florida a few years ago and it was 60 all week. People had their giant winter coats on! Haha today in NYC it's 50 and I considered that too warm for a jacket lol. Though I envy the fact that 60 degrees is considered cold lol

Same here 50's no jackets weather, 60 shorts for some people, Last weekend it was 5 for 3 days in a row - that's officially cold, However the minus -20 to -30 is coming and that's COLD.

All temps on the Farenheit scale - sorry too lazy to convert to Celsius

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other news found THIS on Slashdot - Sounds suspiciously like a certain company in Burbank...

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/13/12...rity-non-existent-boss-doesnt-care-what-to-do

An anonymous reader writes "I am a senior engineer and software architect at a fortune 500 company and manage a brand (website + mobile apps) that is a household name for anyone with kids. This year we migrated to a new technology platform including server hosting and application framework. I was brought in towards the end of the migration and overall it's been a smooth transition from the users' perspective. However it's a security nightmare for sysadmins (which is all outsourced) and a ripe target for any hacker with minimal skills. We do weekly and oftentimes daily releases that contain and build upon the same security vulnerabilities. Frequently I do not have control over the code that is deployed; it's simply given to my team by the marketing department. I inform my direct manager and colleagues about security issues before they are deployed and the response is always, 'we need to meet deadlines, we can fix security issues at a later point.' I'm at a loss at what I should do. Should I go over my manager's head and inform her boss? Approach legal and tell them about our many violations of COPPA? Should I refuse to deploy code until these issues are fixed? Should I look for a new job? What would you do in my situation?"

Soarin' Over Pgh

Right?! It's going to be 63 here today. I've already seen people in shorts and flip flops. I'm wearing a tank top and a skirt.

Yep!

I couldn't believe MK had sweaters for sale when I was there in May.

Goofyernmost

-1 right now in Denver!
Do us a favor and keep it there. We thank you!:joyfull:

Having spent 63 years in the cold climate, I am always amused by the fact the here in NC as soon as the weather hits the 40's out comes the parka's, wool hats and mittens. I'm still wearing shorts and T's. However, that is slowly changing. The longer I stay here the colder 49 feels to me. I'm hoping to never resort to parka's, ever again, but I know that cooler air does bother me more.

Cesar R M

yikes, I can barely handle temps like that... not so much if there is wind D:
I think id be safer in a taco of blankets in my home ;)

Here where I live, the lowest temp we had.. was around 15Celsius.
Normal temps are 20-28C in winter.
so we're all "WHAT IS WINTER?" over here.

WDWFanDave

Yep, shorts are in just until we get below 40 or so for me.

Has to be pretty cold for a jacket...usually in the 20s before I need something more than just a turtleneck, unless of course the wind kicks in, and then I'll break down and grab the 180s for the ears :)

Last edited:

luv

Although I never wore flip-flops in thirty degree temps, I do now find 60 to be much chillier than I once did. Not like I put on a big winter coat, but I do dress appropriately for the weather, especially if I'll be spending a lot of time outside.

It's crazy warm in Orlando now and that's great. :) I am eager to wear new fall/winter clothes, but can wait a little longer. :)

WildcatDen

Hopefully you'll get to see Freeman as Jafar. He was a hoot! As was the genie. ;)
If StarKid was approached, I have to imagine they would be open to a Broadway run of Twisted. A really funny take on Jafar from his perspective. They would have to tone down a bit of the show but overall, VERY ENTERTAINING!

luv

That was hilarious. I just love the Jimmy Kimmel show.

I come from a cold place and half of my family hails from Minnesota, so I do remind myself, when I'm thinking, "Oh, my God! Forty degrees! It's too cold!" that people elsewhere are much colder and I shouldn't really complain. But I didn't move to Florida to be cold, lol. :)

It works both ways., too. The southern people chuckle when people up north go on and on about their unbearable "heat wave" - a week or so of humidity and ninety degree temps, which many southerners commonly call "summer."

Goofyernmost

So glad I live somewhere that I can experience all four seasons and not stuck with one temperature usually and freak when it goes above or below it.
I find that NC has all four seasons, they are just not as extreme as the north, or for that matter, the south. I have dealt, in VT with -36F in mid January to 104F in mid July. On average the temps are more consistent and moderate then either location. Right now, in Raleigh it is 68F. 5 days ago the morning temp was 27F. It does snow, but, it isn't often and is usually gone in two days. I like that in a winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom