The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWFigment

@WDWFigment....MM is better than Sindbad?

As I'm guessing you know since you specifically mention it, I'm a huge fan of Sindbad's Storybook Voyage. Its combination of quality, AAs, music, and duration make it one of my favorite Disney attractions anywhere. While Mystic Manor isn't as long, there aren't nearly as many AAs, and the score isn't as catchy, I still will give it the slight edge. I think most guests would probably far prefer Mystic Manor, but I really like Sindbad's.

We joked after riding Mystic Manor that Disney needs to create a series of attractions in which Chandu (Sindbad's tiger) and Albert (Henry Mystic's monkey) team up for mischievous adventures.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Thanksgiving Musings:

Yes, that is Kermit and Lady Gaga. ABC sure knows the meaning of holiday entertainment.

People in line at Best Buy at 3 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day (or any day for that matter) are insane.

Speaking of insanity, Mrs. Brigante's hubby took a swipe at the fan community for over reacting to Miceage's column the other day and then criticized the site for looking for hits. Gee, Ricky, don't you do the same thing? Doesn't it help keep you in that Lifestyle you so desire? And you've never jumped the gun and placed out misinformation like say that George Lucas and Bob Iger were coming to WDW's sad and neglected third gate on May 4, 2013 to make a major announcement, right?

I don't like yams and only tolerate pumpkin pie during the holidays.

Back to insanity, Jason Surrell (one of Disney's multiple mediocre at best 'talents' that exist in the Twitverse) took quite an aggressive swipe at Miceage without mentioning the site's name. Methinks he protests too much. Of course, why exactly does he even tweet or any of his ilk (Grandt, Sinclair-Harris, Dr. Blondie, Crazy Gary etc) when they say they are putting out their own opinions and not Disney's, yet never come close to saying a thing of consequence. It's actually more painful than reading my pal @EPCOT Explorer 's tweets (yes, that is saying something!) ... These Twitter accounts that say nothing are de facto PR accounts. These people have no desire to take on the fan community in a real debate/dialogue and come off like politicians. Laughable.

Hey, Jason, you want to talk NGE, Star Wars delays and SDL? You are more than welcome in this thread.

Speaking of the recent news 'splatter' ... a source tells me the BoD will be meeting in the next two weeks to discuss spending in general and in particular on P&R projects, but please take that as a rumour because I haven't gotten confirmation yet and I do not wish to be Miceage. I want to be right.

Folks who didn't like Michael Eisner's bad traits who turn around and say they like Bob Iger are truly clueless.

Adults who are really 'into' foamheads do freak me out.

Any deaths or riots yet in the Black Thursday shopping wars? I know I'd put myself in harm's way to buy a $300 TV that won't last a year!

I get that some people, lots in fact, are having positive MM+ experiences. But that doesn't change the big picture. It doesn't make the operational disaster that this is simply fade away. And it doesn't make the boondoggle any less of one. Nothing, not even DVC or outsourcing, has had such a negative effect on WDW. And it is one that will haunt the resort for a very long time to come.

Pass the stuffing ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I noticed a link to this thread has been posted on disney report .com in regards to "possible Shanghai Disneyland attractions leaked?" Good. Maybe now even more people will see it, read it, then check out the rest of the board, and learn what else is going on at disney.

I think threads like this are important for that reason. One tidbit of information could bring someone who reads more and learns of other information and ideas all in the comfort of one single thread. Think of all the topics that haven been covered here, in the span of 48 pages.

Thanks. I don't know any other Disney site that has credited me (or even this site) for having the information. Accurate and first. But I am not surprised. They'll simply pretend they didn't see it here when they all read -- the more they say they 'hate' me, the more they follow and read.

This thread has been pretty good ... only when it got into the CP and kids today in the job market did it sorta spiral away and hopefully that is over.

Soarin' Over Pgh

By the way, does anyone find it amusing everytime Blizzard Beach closes due to cold weather (like today).

Oh ... Piggy is on now!! I likes the bacon!!!:hungry::D:devilish:

It's a balmy 20 degrees here right now. I don't wanna hear Florida anything closing due to "cold weather" :)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
People in line at Best Buy at 3 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day (or any day for that matter) are insane.

I went for a ride with the Cousin N Law (that is not a thing is it?) just to look at the people in the lines. Local Best Buy was under 40 deep so we got out and made out on deals we had seen and said "yepp not waiting in line for that." All in all we were 2 hours from leaving the house to returning, including looking at other store's lines. Toy's R Us had at least 500 in line at the same time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Yes, that is Kermit and Lady Gaga. ABC sure knows the meaning of holiday entertainment.

Speaking of insanity, Mrs. Brigante's hubby took a swipe at the fan community for over reacting to Miceage's column the other day and then criticized the site for looking for hits. Gee, Ricky, don't you do the same thing? Doesn't it help keep you in that Lifestyle you so desire? And you've never jumped the gun and placed out misinformation like say that George Lucas and Bob Iger were coming to WDW's sad and neglected third gate on May 4, 2013 to make a major announcement, right?

Back to insanity, Jason Surrell (one of Disney's multiple mediocre at best 'talents' that exist in the Twitverse) took quite an aggressive swipe at Miceage without mentioning the site's name. Methinks he protests too much. Of course, why exactly does he even tweet or any of his ilk (Grandt, Sinclair-Harris, Dr. Blondie, Crazy Gary etc) when they say they are putting out their own opinions and not Disney's, yet never come close to saying a thing of consequence. It's actually more painful than reading my pal @EPCOT Explorer 's tweets (yes, that is saying something!) ... These Twitter accounts that say nothing are de facto PR accounts. These people have no desire to take on the fan community in a real debate/dialogue and come off like politicians. Laughable.

Hey, Jason, you want to talk NGE, Star Wars delays and SDL? You are more than welcome in this thread.

Speaking of the recent news 'splatter' ... a source tells me the BoD will be meeting in the next two weeks to discuss spending in general and in particular on P&R projects, but please take that as a rumour because I haven't gotten confirmation yet and I do not wish to be Miceage. I want to be right.

Folks who didn't like Michael Eisner's bad traits who turn around and say they like Bob Iger are truly clueless.

Any deaths or riots yet in the Black Thursday shopping wars? I know I'd put myself in harm's way to buy a $300 TV that won't last a year!

I get that some people, lots in fact, are having positive MM+ experiences. But that doesn't change the big picture. It doesn't make the operational disaster that this is simply fade away. And it doesn't make the boondoggle any less of one. Nothing, not even DVC or outsourcing, has had such a negative effect on WDW. And it is one that will haunt the resort for a very long time to come.

Pass the stuffing ...
Lady Gaga, Elton John and Gonzo all together in one show. Trying to figure out which one is the weirdo.

I just saw a news teaser which mentioned some tension and an arrest at a holiday sale at Walmart in NJ. Could be the first Black Friday incident or maybe just "the situation" upset because they were out of white sleeveless t-shirts.

I am one of those people who had a generally positive magic band experience this past week. Still doesn't change my opinion that the whole thing was an incredible misallocation of capital. The money could have been spent on so many other things. MK was looking pretty good in a lot of places. Just makes the other 3/4 of the parks look that much worse.

ParentsOf4

The only "positive" MM+ experience to report so far is that completely avoiding the MagicBands and sticking with RFID cards (safely stored in my RFID signal blocking wallet ;)) hasn't damaged my vacation at all. In and of themselves, MagicBands so far have panned out to be nothing more than a poor marketing gimmick.

Lots of really long FP+ lines to report this Thanksgiving week. My normal 5-to-10 minute FP waits during previous Thanksgivings have ballooned to 15-to-20 minute FP+ waits. Rather incredible to see unfortunate Cast Members waving "FastPass line starts here" signs 100 feet from the beginning of many FP/FP+ entrances. :eek:

Just stand near any FP+ line entrance for a few minutes and listen to dozens of guests complain about MagicBands. Or hang out for a bit at Guest Relations and hear all the nightmare stories. And we were afraid this was going to be the future of all Disney theme parks? As of now, I suspect MagicBands will be gone from WDW within a few years, the fad having passed, replaced by the latest wiz-bang from the geniuses running Disney.

Very sad that some much needed investments in real WDW improvements possibly will be delayed for years unless the BoD grows a few and realizes that corporate leadership backed the wrong horse in MyMagic+.

WWOHP and Carsland proven hits. Diagon Alley the undoubted next big hit in Orlando. You'd think someone running the show in Burbank would get the clue and accelerate Star Wars Land, not put on the brakes.

After this dud, it's hard to imagine Rasulo's stock rising enough to take over as the next CEO in 2016.

Maybe Iger's departure will represent an end of an era. The era when Disney's leadership treated WDW like a baby's diaper.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, my wife and I were both very pleasantly surprised by Hong Kong Disneyland. Our expectations were low--the main reason we went to HKDL this year rather than pairing it with Shanghai when it opens is because adding the stop only increased the cost of our airfare by $50 each (<$1,000 RT!). It did screw with our schedule, which "forced" us to visit TDR over a weekend, but that's another story for another time...

You fly Delta? I know someone who is taking advantage of their Asian deals right now.

And please share your TDR musings/experiences here. I went this week three years ago and had a great time with weather and crowds, but I did Monday-Thursday at the parks. No weekends, so I am interested in what you were able to see and do with the crowds and without the ability to book your rides on an iPhone months ahead of time!

With the exception of Mystic Point, I wouldn't describe anything at Hong Kong Disneyland as a "home run," but there are a ton of solid doubles. The park does what it does very well, with only a few exceptions (the level of detail on Main Street was a disappointment for me, and is one thing that struck me as subpar). The quantity of attractions and number of water play areas and photo ops instead of actual attractions is a legitimate gripe, but by and large, the attractions that are there are well done. Fantasyland and some fan-favorites are missing, but I'm not of the mindset that every Castle park needs clones of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc., and I can't say the "classic" cardboard cut-out Fantasyland dark rides do a whole lot for me, anyway.

I think the park' s structure is a home run. The template for a great park has existed since opening and they have steadily built and improved upon it.

I can't talk about the newest additions beyond saying they look great. And MM is highly regarded in the industry, which matters much more than fanbois drooling over YouTube clips. ... I think Main Street is quite detailed, but it doesn't have depth (literally, the shops don't go extend very deep). I'd still rather that version than MK's.

I love that the park has these new unique attractions that still are based on concepts done in the other castle parks but taken in completely new directions.

Grizzly Gulch is very close to a home run, but its size is a bit disappointing. I understand that it's a mini-land, but the concept there has so much potential that I think it should be a full land. I prefer Big Grizzly Mountain to every version of Big Thunder Mountain (even Paris'!), but I'm a sucker for AAs, and its bears go a long way for me in taking the themed rollercoaster concept to the next level. It did seem like the mountain icon itself was a bit on the small side, but then again, everything seemed slightly smaller in scale there (or maybe it was just me?).

Not just you. But the scale of DL is smaller than the scale of MK or TDL as well.

Toy Story Land is what it is. I'm personally not a fan of the concept in Castle parks, although I don't totally hate it in general as I know many others do. I can understand adding it to up the attraction count, but I hope it's a temporary stop-gap not there in the long term. It seemed slightly better than the land in WDSP, but I really dislike that park, so perhaps I'm biased there.

I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. It's not all that worse than the Toontown Fair type concept though. And with two pricey E-Tickets, they needed something cheap, and largely for kids.

Mystic Point is what I'd consider the flagship land of HKDL, and I think any discussion of top 10 Disney attractions all time should include Mystic Manor. It's my current favorite Disney attraction, and if you set aside nostalgia, history, etc., I think a case can be made for it being the best current attraction Disney has to offer. I'm glad I didn't watch videos or read spoilers before seeing it myself, in person, because I was blown away the first time we rode it. After 10 rides (we never waited more than 5 minutes for it...HKDL was pretty dead during our visit), I continued to see new things, and was still blown away by some effects. This is still relatively new, so I don't want to post any spoilers, but it's a good story, well-executed, and with a good balance of technology (screens are present, but they are used sparingly and in appropriate circumstances). There's no way video can do this attraction justice, so don't even bother judging it based on that.

When's the last time WDW opened an attraction that you'd put on par with MM?

Explorer's Club was pretty cool (they had this excellent drink called Blueberry Myst that's pretty addictive) as well, and well done. Not quite what I expected given the comparisons to the Adventurers Club, but still very nice. Mystic Point is smaller than Grizzly Gulch, and while I left wanting more of Lord Henry Mystic's adventures, I think a larger land with more attractions would probably be pushing the concept. The only thing I could see being done is expanding the play area to something more like Fortress Explorations.

Each of these three lands had puppet shows for "A Sparkling Christmas." The shows had nothing to do with Christmas and were entirely in Cantonese, but the Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor ones were cool. These should become permanent fixtures of both lands. In general, "A Sparkling Christmas" was fairly lame--I assume Halloween is the best time to visit HKDL.

Halloween is absolutely amazing at HKDL and VERY different than what is done at the other resorts. It's also the only time of year, thus far, they leave the park open until 11 p.m.

When I was there for Christmas, they had a parade (largely an overlay of the daytime parade with Let It Snow soundtrack), a nightly show and treelighting with Mickey, Minnie and, of course, Duffy and a little village setup in the Hub. Nice, but not nearly what they do for Halloween. Those shows you speak of are new.

Food was also a highlight of HKDL, and we were surprised by the variety and quality of offerings. Tahitian Terrace (which serves Halal-certified food) was a highlight, as were all of the restaurants we tried in the HK Disneyland Hotel. We never ended up trying the pressed squid, as we could only find it at snack stands and they only accepted cash, which we didn't have.

TT has great food. They totally changed it between my 2008 and 2010 visits. It went to a largely Indian menu (India is a major market for the park) and the food was really tasty.

Did you do Crytsal Lotus? Great local cuisine there.

We took two days to do HKDL, and aside from Mystic Manor (ten times) and Grizzly Gulch (three times), we didn't do any attraction more than once, and we still didn't see everything. We waited very little for Mystic Manor (or anything, for that matter), but we also wandered around looking at stuff, took our time dining, etc., so I'd assume those factors would offset one another and the time it would take to experience the park during a "normal" season in terms of crowds by guests not taking their time would be about the same as it took us. I think the reputation that HKDL is a half-day park is definitely undeserved in 2013.

As a whole, HKDL is laid out well as a resort, with ample room for expansion and a solid foundation in place. While it doesn't come close to comparing to TDR (no other Disney resort does), it's no slouch. I wouldn't recommend flying to Asia just for HKDL, but combined with a trip to TDR or Hong Kong (we also visited Hong Kong, Macau, and TDR), it's an excellent place to visit. When we go back, we'll definitely devote another 2 days to HKDL.

HKDL wasn't a half day park when I first went in 2008. But it wasn't -- and isn't -- worthy of more than two days (and that includes checking out both hotels and going at a leisurely pace). I tell folks you don't take a trip to HKDL, you take a trip to HK and spend a day or two at HKDL if you like Disney parks.

And 10 times on MM? No one will ever accuse you of being OCD! :D ...I'm just looking forward to getting my first!

When will the pics be on the DBP? (or better, your site, since I really don't want to give Disney's site one click)

WDW1974

Original Poster
As I'm guessing you know since you specifically mention it, I'm a huge fan of Sindbad's Storybook Voyage. Its combination of quality, AAs, music, and duration make it one of my favorite Disney attractions anywhere. While Mystic Manor isn't as long, there aren't nearly as many AAs, and the score isn't as catchy, I still will give it the slight edge. I think most guests would probably far prefer Mystic Manor, but I really like Sindbad's.

We joked after riding Mystic Manor that Disney needs to create a series of attractions in which Chandu (Sindbad's tiger) and Albert (Henry Mystic's monkey) team up for mischievous adventures.

I am right with you, Tom.

I'd take a trip to TDR just to ride SSV over and over again ...

Kuhio

It's 65 here now and my feet are cold. I have no clue how I am going to react to a European winter ...

I didn't think the Spirit ever got cold feet...
biggrin.gif

bcalltimandanna

Can Tippy Blue be in that series? Haha....think you can write a Trip Planning report on TDR/HKDL combo trip?

PhotoDave219

Pass the stuffing ...

Couple thoughts.....

First: why would miceage run an article that accuses without verifying any of it? I'd like them to be wrong .... Not for schadenfreude, but because I want that Star Wars expansion to be real and before I'm 50.

The Muppets don't sound right. But glad to see them in prime time.

Rickey is rather beneath my notice these days. What he does is his business. I do find it interesting criticising overreactions about rumors after the May the 4th rumors... Maybe he learned something? All I know is I don't care about him and his ilk.

As for MM+, yes I had a good experience. Whether or not they work the kinks out, it must be examined "WHY" it was built. Plus the execution of the project as the failings of management. With these sorts of cost overruns, management culture has to be cleansed and changed. Everyone needs to go. And we need to make it work.

They need a fixer.... What's Steve Burke up to?

Ciciwoowoo

I have changed or simply not shown up for most of our FP+ reservations this week. Such a pain! Did manage to obtain a few paper FP. Not available for the sold out in 10 minute rides, but easy to get for things like Pooh.

One neat trick: had a reservation for Barnstormer that most of my party decided to pass on. Went to the cars in Tomorrowland; wait time 50 minutes. Hopped on the app for FP+, there was an opening for 1:30-2:30 (time this was performed was 1:28) Grabbed it, and no wait!

Going to AK tomorrow with the idea I won't keep any of my original reservations. I am going to peek and see what I can find for us during free times and just grab them. Maybe we can cut down on the number of times we run in circles around the park.

Still waiting for my magic band to remember my favorite drink and give me a FP to the front of the margarita line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom