The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tissandtully

Not to mention expanding the number of teams that can make the playoffs in high school football. Should a high school team that is 2-6 really have a shot at a championship?

Honestly, that's more about revenue as football is the only sport at schools that can bring in any money sadly. We're raising a bunch of bros while the band and computer kids with actual talent have to do fundraising to get good equipment.

ChrisM

This is totally off topic, yet on topic for the conversation here, so I've got to add it. Here's an example: This guy is six years younger than I and his family has been friends with my family for three decades. This guy goes to a top university located on the East Coast. His brother had done the same. Both have college educations that cost significant six figures and the parents end up paying for it, even having to have the father forgo his retirement for several more years. No student loans for these two. Mommy and daddy that can't afford to pay, pay. Unbelievable. The older one gets a respectable job, but then quits the job to essentially follow his dreams [Vomit inducing here]... The younger brother gets out of university and thinks that he should essentially walk into the CEO role of any given company and the concept of working his way up is a foreign concept. The guy works for a firm, gets tired of it because he thinks that he should be doing the job of his boss. He then quits and ends up working part-time doing some bookkeeping.

Both of these guys somehow (hmmmm) end up with women that are extremely well off and get married. The two continue to chase their "dreams" and magically (haha on here) they end up coming into what has to be an extremely significant amount of cash (Inlaws... of course.) and they open the business of their dreams. Entitled brats. They didn't have to work for anything. They have absurd, grandiose visions of themselves along with the egos to match, and they end up getting the keys to the proverbial candy store handed to them. They are the perfect example of what is wrong with my generation and below. Sometimes you truly root for the failure of someone's business and this would be the case, but to be honest, if it fails, they'll never see that they would be at fault due to some interesting choices with their business plan.

The friends that my wife and I are surrounded with aren't the entitled, moronic batch that has caught on like some venerial disease in this country, but the story above certainly shows that there are plenty of these people throughout the land.

As in anything, sometimes it's simply the social circles you are a member of that can almost guarantee some measure of success in life.

These man-children where able to access a top University (through some combination of connections, money, and *gasp* maybe even a little hard work of their own) and are reaping the attendant benefits of the society that goes along with it.

Are they douchebags? Sounds like it. But they, at the very least, had the presence of mind to take advantage of some of the opportunities presented to them. It may be a damn low bar, but that's all I really ask out of anyone these days. If you blow every opportunity presented to you, though...

Radok Block

It goes beyond that. There are actually schools that will only use red towels so kids do not see blood when they scrape their knee or elbow. The world has become or becoming too sugar coated.

I think it's okay to shield kids (10 and under) from blood spatter.

alphac2005

Are they douchebags? Sounds like it. But they, at the very least, had the presence of mind to take advantage of some of the opportunities presented to them.

Not only does it sound like it, they are. They did take advantage of the opportunities, marrying into money to build their dream business. What a crowning achievement.... All while their parents who should be in retirement aren't because they're footing the bill from their education. As far as I'm concerned, these two in question have been taking advantage of many opportunities for years. They might not be sponging off the rest of society, but they are the douches that help make it worse.

crispy

Not only does it sound like it, they are. They did take advantage of the opportunities, marrying into money to build their dream business. What a crowning achievement.... All while their parents who should be in retirement aren't because they're footing the bill from their education. As far as I'm concerned, these two in question have been taking advantage of many opportunities for years. They might not be sponging off the rest of society, but they are the douches that help make it worse.

You know what, though? The parents chose to spend their retirement on their sons' educations so that's on them. No one put a gun to their heads and forced them to do it. They sons may be douchebags, but they raised them so they hand a hand in that as well. My husband and I have both spent have siblings who are moochers, and both of us have parents who have enabled that behavior. "No" is a complete sentence, and if they refuse to say it, I don't have much sympathy for them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know its not really about WDW, but back to a topic from a few days ago:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pizza-hut-manager-says-fired-042328900.html

Basically, a Pizza Hut manager decided he was closing his store on Thanksgiving Day despite the fact that the corporate office said it should be open. He was asked to resign. Pizza Hut? On Thanksgiving? I guess all of the Walmart workers getting ready for the big Black Friday sales need somewhere to get food;).

If the Hut is open on Thanksgiving there is no hope of Disney closing their parks and giving CMs off.

The Mom

Premium Member
I know its not really about WDW, but back to a topic from a few days ago:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pizza-hut-manager-says-fired-042328900.html

Basically, a Pizza Hut manager decided he was closing his store on Thanksgiving Day despite the fact that the corporate office said it should be open. He was asked to resign. Pizza Hut? On Thanksgiving? I guess all of the Walmart workers getting ready for the big Black Friday sales need somewhere to get food;).

If the Hut is open on Thanksgiving there is no hope of Disney closing their parks and giving CMs off.

I saw what you did there. ;)

Soarin' Over Pgh

I noticed a link to this thread has been posted on disney report .com in regards to "possible Shanghai Disneyland attractions leaked?" Good. Maybe now even more people will see it, read it, then check out the rest of the board, and learn what else is going on at disney.

I think threads like this are important for that reason. One tidbit of information could bring someone who reads more and learns of other information and ideas all in the comfort of one single thread. Think of all the topics that haven been covered here, in the span of 48 pages.

WDWFigment

I wonder this as well. I also wonder how the park is going to be priced and whether attendance will be capped. There was talk about this park being more of a hybrid between a full MK and a Discovery Cove/boutique type experience and, thus far, we don't have an answer.

BTW, our pal @WDWFigment seems to be enjoying his first visit to HKDL. Hopefully, he'll drop in here with some comments when he returns.

Yes, my wife and I were both very pleasantly surprised by Hong Kong Disneyland. Our expectations were low--the main reason we went to HKDL this year rather than pairing it with Shanghai when it opens is because adding the stop only increased the cost of our airfare by $50 each (<$1,000 RT!). It did screw with our schedule, which "forced" us to visit TDR over a weekend, but that's another story for another time...

With the exception of Mystic Point, I wouldn't describe anything at Hong Kong Disneyland as a "home run," but there are a ton of solid doubles. The park does what it does very well, with only a few exceptions (the level of detail on Main Street was a disappointment for me, and is one thing that struck me as subpar). The quantity of attractions and number of water play areas and photo ops instead of actual attractions is a legitimate gripe, but by and large, the attractions that are there are well done. Fantasyland and some fan-favorites are missing, but I'm not of the mindset that every Castle park needs clones of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc., and I can't say the "classic" cardboard cut-out Fantasyland dark rides do a whole lot for me, anyway.

Grizzly Gulch is very close to a home run, but its size is a bit disappointing. I understand that it's a mini-land, but the concept there has so much potential that I think it should be a full land. I prefer Big Grizzly Mountain to every version of Big Thunder Mountain (even Paris'!), but I'm a sucker for AAs, and its bears go a long way for me in taking the themed rollercoaster concept to the next level. It did seem like the mountain icon itself was a bit on the small side, but then again, everything seemed slightly smaller in scale there (or maybe it was just me?).

Toy Story Land is what it is. I'm personally not a fan of the concept in Castle parks, although I don't totally hate it in general as I know many others do. I can understand adding it to up the attraction count, but I hope it's a temporary stop-gap not there in the long term. It seemed slightly better than the land in WDSP, but I really dislike that park, so perhaps I'm biased there.

Mystic Point is what I'd consider the flagship land of HKDL, and I think any discussion of top 10 Disney attractions all time should include Mystic Manor. It's my current favorite Disney attraction, and if you set aside nostalgia, history, etc., I think a case can be made for it being the best current attraction Disney has to offer. I'm glad I didn't watch videos or read spoilers before seeing it myself, in person, because I was blown away the first time we rode it. After 10 rides (we never waited more than 5 minutes for it...HKDL was pretty dead during our visit), I continued to see new things, and was still blown away by some effects. This is still relatively new, so I don't want to post any spoilers, but it's a good story, well-executed, and with a good balance of technology (screens are present, but they are used sparingly and in appropriate circumstances). There's no way video can do this attraction justice, so don't even bother judging it based on that.

Explorer's Club was pretty cool (they had this excellent drink called Blueberry Myst that's pretty addictive) as well, and well done. Not quite what I expected given the comparisons to the Adventurers Club, but still very nice. Mystic Point is smaller than Grizzly Gulch, and while I left wanting more of Lord Henry Mystic's adventures, I think a larger land with more attractions would probably be pushing the concept. The only thing I could see being done is expanding the play area to something more like Fortress Explorations.

Each of these three lands had puppet shows for "A Sparkling Christmas." The shows had nothing to do with Christmas and were entirely in Cantonese, but the Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor ones were cool. These should become permanent fixtures of both lands. In general, "A Sparkling Christmas" was fairly lame--I assume Halloween is the best time to visit HKDL.

Food was also a highlight of HKDL, and we were surprised by the variety and quality of offerings. Tahitian Terrace (which serves Halal-certified food) was a highlight, as were all of the restaurants we tried in the HK Disneyland Hotel. We never ended up trying the pressed squid, as we could only find it at snack stands and they only accepted cash, which we didn't have.

We took two days to do HKDL, and aside from Mystic Manor (ten times) and Grizzly Gulch (three times), we didn't do any attraction more than once, and we still didn't see everything. We waited very little for Mystic Manor (or anything, for that matter), but we also wandered around looking at stuff, took our time dining, etc., so I'd assume those factors would offset one another and the time it would take to experience the park during a "normal" season in terms of crowds by guests not taking their time would be about the same as it took us. I think the reputation that HKDL is a half-day park is definitely undeserved in 2013.

As a whole, HKDL is laid out well as a resort, with ample room for expansion and a solid foundation in place. While it doesn't come close to comparing to TDR (no other Disney resort does), it's no slouch. I wouldn't recommend flying to Asia just for HKDL, but combined with a trip to TDR or Hong Kong (we also visited Hong Kong, Macau, and TDR), it's an excellent place to visit. When we go back, we'll definitely devote another 2 days to HKDL.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Saw it Monday night, overall the film is wonderful. The music is lackluster, not one song stuck with you through the credits and 2 days later I'm hard pressed to remember any song titles at all. Robert Lopez and wife are better suited for the adult crowd, their PG music never quite hits the mark (didn't for Winnie the Pooh either).

Liked Tangled better however.

Interestingly your review aligns pretty close to that of The New York Times review.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Yes, my wife and I were both very pleasantly surprised by Hong Kong Disneyland. Our expectations were low--the main reason we went to HKDL this year rather than pairing it with Shanghai when it opens is because adding the stop only increased the cost of our airfare by $50 each (<$1,000 RT!). It did screw with our schedule, which "forced" us to visit TDR over a weekend, but that's another story for another time...

With the exception of Mystic Point, I wouldn't describe anything at Hong Kong Disneyland as a "home run," but there are a ton of solid doubles. The park does what it does very well, with only a few exceptions (the level of detail on Main Street was a disappointment for me, and is one thing that struck me as subpar). The quantity of attractions and number of water play areas and photo ops instead of actual attractions is a legitimate gripe, but by and large, the attractions that are there are well done. Fantasyland and some fan-favorites are missing, but I'm not of the mindset that every Castle park needs clones of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc., and I can't say the "classic" cardboard cut-out Fantasyland dark rides do a whole lot for me, anyway.

Grizzly Gulch is very close to a home run, but its size is a bit disappointing. I understand that it's a mini-land, but the concept there has so much potential that I think it should be a full land. I prefer Big Grizzly Mountain to every version of Big Thunder Mountain (even Paris'!), but I'm a sucker for AAs, and its bears go a long way for me in taking the themed rollercoaster concept to the next level. It did seem like the mountain icon itself was a bit on the small side, but then again, everything seemed slightly smaller in scale there (or maybe it was just me?).

Toy Story Land is what it is. I'm personally not a fan of the concept in Castle parks, although I don't totally hate it in general as I know many others do. I can understand adding it to up the attraction count, but I hope it's a temporary stop-gap not there in the long term. It seemed slightly better than the land in WDSP, but I really dislike that park, so perhaps I'm biased there.

Mystic Point is what I'd consider the flagship land of HKDL, and I think any discussion of top 10 Disney attractions all time should include Mystic Manor. It's my current favorite Disney attraction, and if you set aside nostalgia, history, etc., I think a case can be made for it being the best current attraction Disney has to offer. I'm glad I didn't watch videos or read spoilers before seeing it myself, in person, because I was blown away the first time we rode it. After 10 rides (we never waited more than 5 minutes for it...HKDL was pretty dead during our visit), I continued to see new things, and was still blown away by some effects. This is still relatively new, so I don't want to post any spoilers, but it's a good story, well-executed, and with a good balance of technology (screens are present, but they are used sparingly and in appropriate circumstances). There's no way video can do this attraction justice, so don't even bother judging it based on that.

Explorer's Club was pretty cool (they had this excellent drink called Blueberry Myst that's pretty addictive) as well, and well done. Not quite what I expected given the comparisons to the Adventurers Club, but still very nice. Mystic Point is smaller than Grizzly Gulch, and while I left wanting more of Lord Henry Mystic's adventures, I think a larger land with more attractions would probably be pushing the concept. The only thing I could see being done is expanding the play area to something more like Fortress Explorations.

Each of these three lands had puppet shows for "A Sparkling Christmas." The shows had nothing to do with Christmas and were entirely in Cantonese, but the Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor ones were cool. These should become permanent fixtures of both lands. In general, "A Sparkling Christmas" was fairly lame--I assume Halloween is the best time to visit HKDL.

Food was also a highlight of HKDL, and we were surprised by the variety and quality of offerings. Tahitian Terrace (which serves Halal-certified food) was a highlight, as were all of the restaurants we tried in the HK Disneyland Hotel. We never ended up trying the pressed squid, as we could only find it at snack stands and they only accepted cash, which we didn't have.

We took two days to do HKDL, and aside from Mystic Manor (ten times) and Grizzly Gulch (three times), we didn't do any attraction more than once, and we still didn't see everything. We waited very little for Mystic Manor (or anything, for that matter), but we also wandered around looking at stuff, took our time dining, etc., so I'd assume those factors would offset one another and the time it would take to experience the park during a "normal" season in terms of crowds by guests not taking their time would be about the same as it took us. I think the reputation that HKDL is a half-day park is definitely undeserved in 2013.

As a whole, HKDL is laid out well as a resort, with ample room for expansion and a solid foundation in place. While it doesn't come close to comparing to TDR (no other Disney resort does), it's no slouch. I wouldn't recommend flying to Asia just for HKDL, but combined with a trip to TDR or Hong Kong (we also visited Hong Kong, Macau, and TDR), it's an excellent place to visit. When we go back, we'll definitely devote another 2 days to HKDL.

Sounds like a great trip! Post up some pictures if you have any. I understand the videos don't do MM justice but even the video left me wow'ed to a degree. It appears to be a true home run classic.

Soarin' Over Pgh

So I'm streaming the Macys thanksgiving parade online and apparently it's coming from Miami Florida. I saw my first WDW commercial since I was there in May.

Ok, so I squealed excitedly, but that's besides the point.

Why do they show so much Star Wars presence in the commercial when the only real SW that was in the park was star tours and tons of merch? The ad looked like an ad for SW weekends. Kinda wrong to advertise something you don't have year round...no?

Cesar R M

So I'm streaming the Macys thanksgiving parade online and apparently it's coming from Miami Florida. I saw my first WDW commercial since I was there in May.

Ok, so I squealed excitedly, but that's besides the point.

Why do they show so much Star Wars presence in the commercial when the only real SW that was in the park was star tours and tons of merch? The ad looked like an ad for SW weekends. Kinda wrong to advertise something you don't have year round...no?
well, because star wars fans are very vocal and buy lot of merch?

RSoxNo1

the cycle pretty much repeats.

agree, I facepalmed really hard when one news mentioned the removal of red ink pens for when giving the scores to kids in school, because it would "traumatize them".
And changed the red ink to Purple.

I mean for gods sake A FRIGGING F SHOULD TRAUMATIZE THEM TO MAKE THEM WORK AND PUT EFFORT!
let's not forget the "let's give trophies to everyone, even if they just participated and ended in last place".
Old line from a former standup set of mine, "I don't want to meet the therapist that turns away the guy with Gulf War Syndrome because little Jimmy has Red Pen Fever."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom