The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar R M

This is the problem in this industry. I am 53.....not old but....definitely not young. I too most often have more work to do then hours in a day. Young people do not want to put the time in to become "sklled". He is right....finding good help is extremely difficult. Working hard for a honest living is an obscure concept these days. There was a time when we were proud to work hard to take care of our families. We took pride in a "job well done" The new crede in America is....scam, flam, sham.....how can I do the least amount of work and make the most money. That is the new badge of honor.....how can I get in your pocket and take money with out you knowing it. I realize I am a dinosaur.....your "guy" might as well be me. What young people do not realize is that we skilled workers are getting smaller in numbers and there will come a time in the not to distant future that those that are skilled workers will be able to just name their price. BTW I am a flooring installer.....hardwood floors....Vinyl....laminate...etc.
Agree, nowadays.. you hit 50 years old, and you're "useless" for the suits.
people should take pride in the work well done regardless of age.

alissafalco

I think the system is a gross mismanagement of money, ill advised and poorly executed. However, I think it will generate revenues but I couldn't say when it would generate profits over that massive price tag. It is quite terrible for guests and fans that this is what they spent significant money on.

While I think they needed to get more efficient, they didn't need to spend all this money doing so. Can anyone with insight tell me if they had Accenture analyze this project and their needs at the resort (yup, that comment is from experience, they are fantastic /sarcasm)?

I still don't see how this will generate revenue.

Funmeister

My apologies for assuming you were speaking of personal experience instead of relating the experience of others. I'm still amazed that WDW world can get away with having career CMs who make so little above the minimum wage. The labor supply must greatly exceed demand to retain a workforce with such low wages. I realize due to today's abysmal economy that it's difficult to find work and risky to leave a somewhat secure job for the hope of a higher paying one elsewhere, but it is hard to get my mind around WDW being able to get away with such behavior during the mid to late 1980s and the mid to late 1990s. The job market was so hot then I can't see how it didn't put tremendous upwards pressure on the hourly wages at WDW. But it appears it didn't, and there are two reasons I can see for that - 1) WDW must not view most front line CM positions as careers and is willing to tolerate the churn of turnover (and constant training of new hires) when CMs leave for greener grass or 2) the low wages don't lead as much turnover as I think it should so WDW feels no need to pay higher wages. Either way, it can't be a good work environment once the novelty of working at WDW wears off.

That is ok., I just know from a lot of personal experiences with friends and Cast Members who I have worked with, above and for.

Rodan75

You miss the point, Disney & Universal's low pay drags the whole area's pay down. No one can afford these housing because everyone is underpaid.

The Central Fl labor market is strange. After working with two very different companies who couldn't make Central FL work for them, I'm so surprised at the lack of quality entry level applicants in the 35k to 45k pay range. Basic skills that applicants bring to the table in KC or Minneapolis are completely lacking in Orlando. Which is painful since I was raised there.

The area needs to invest in better secondary education in a big way.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Although it's great to see my old pal @jakeman is still alive and around ... he is always welcome in any discussion of mine!

Disday

I just wanted to make sure that the post's talk of Marvel and the title Spirit takes the Fifth isn't hinting at a future 5th park, right?

Nubs70

I went to college in 'Age of Clinton' and not all of us turned out to be societal rejects. :) My wife and I worked newspaper routes for two years, seven days a week during our first two years of college with only four days off over two years while driving nearly 70 miles per night. We worked like dogs, went to school, provided seed money for our business, and then moved to Florida.

We had student loans, but they were very mild and the loan program was of great benefit to us as we knew that once we had completed our useful bachelor's degrees, we'd have the means for repayment. I think it gets far too overstated that kids are lazy today and are partying all the time. So many kids get stuck an extra year or two in universities because there are simply not enough classes available to get their degrees done in four years due to budgetary cuts and poor planning by all too many bloated university bureaucracy layers.
And just to add, today's students aren't as smart as us Clinton era graduates. I had the opportunity to go for my MBA and was a little concerned when applying ( results of the course work/ social paradigm) because of my undergrad gpa. I was happy to discover that my gpa from 15 years ago is now considered a full point higher due to grade inflation.

Today's 4.0 graduate is a 3.0 from 15 years ago. So graduates today are paying more, learning less, and yet feel entitled to start in the corner office.

Tigger1988

Frozen reviews are generally positive, so far: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/frozen_2013/?nopopup=true

Of those positive reviews I've seen reviewers proclaim Disney is back and others claim good but not great. We will see, I wish Disney could return to their former self but that won't happen without a little shakeup at the company.
Saw it Monday night, overall the film is wonderful. The music is lackluster, not one song stuck with you through the credits and 2 days later I'm hard pressed to remember any song titles at all. Robert Lopez and wife are better suited for the adult crowd, their PG music never quite hits the mark (didn't for Winnie the Pooh either).

Liked Tangled better however.

alphac2005

And just to add, today's students aren't as smart as us Clinton era graduates. I had the opportunity to go for my MBA and was a little concerned when applying ( results of the course work/ social paradigm) because of my undergrad gpa. I was happy to discover that my gpa from 15 years ago is now considered a full point higher due to grade inflation.

Today's 4.0 graduate is a 3.0 from 15 years ago. So graduates today are paying more, learning less, and yet feel entitled to start in the corner office.

This is totally off topic, yet on topic for the conversation here, so I've got to add it. Here's an example: This guy is six years younger than I and his family has been friends with my family for three decades. This guy goes to a top university located on the East Coast. His brother had done the same. Both have college educations that cost significant six figures and the parents end up paying for it, even having to have the father forgo his retirement for several more years. No student loans for these two. Mommy and daddy that can't afford to pay, pay. Unbelievable. The older one gets a respectable job, but then quits the job to essentially follow his dreams [Vomit inducing here]... The younger brother gets out of university and thinks that he should essentially walk into the CEO role of any given company and the concept of working his way up is a foreign concept. The guy works for a firm, gets tired of it because he thinks that he should be doing the job of his boss. He then quits and ends up working part-time doing some bookkeeping.

Both of these guys somehow (hmmmm) end up with women that are extremely well off and get married. The two continue to chase their "dreams" and magically (haha on here) they end up coming into what has to be an extremely significant amount of cash (Inlaws... of course.) and they open the business of their dreams. Entitled brats. They didn't have to work for anything. They have absurd, grandiose visions of themselves along with the egos to match, and they end up getting the keys to the proverbial candy store handed to them. They are the perfect example of what is wrong with my generation and below. Sometimes you truly root for the failure of someone's business and this would be the case, but to be honest, if it fails, they'll never see that they would be at fault due to some interesting choices with their business plan.

The friends that my wife and I are surrounded with aren't the entitled, moronic batch that has caught on like some venerial disease in this country, but the story above certainly shows that there are plenty of these people throughout the land.

The Mom

Premium Member
I remember my parents opining that "Today's young people don't know what hard work is. They don't know how lucky they are to have a job - they didn't live through the Depression and WWII, or they would know how tough things can be and be grateful for all they have. We learned more in Junior High than they learn after 4 years of college. Today's young people are spoiled!" :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

I remember my parents opining that "Today's young people don't know what hard work is. They don't know how lucky they are to have a job - they didn't live through the Depression and WWII, or they would know how tough things can be and be grateful for all they have. We learned more in Junior High than they learn after 4 years of college. Today's young people are spoiled!" :rolleyes:
That's what happens when everyone gets a trophy just for showing up. Can't have the young one feeling disappointment can we? Heavens knows the the world will just open its doors to them.

Sadly, many of those people are starting at the top, because they know how to sell themselves, however, before to long they are in over their heads and the fall from the top is a long drop.

Funmeister

It also does not help younger kids (especially girls) when Disney markets princesses out the wazoo giving kids the feeling of entitlement. Some may refer it as the Honey Boo Boo effect.

Funmeister

That's what happens when everyone gets a trophy just for showing up. Can't have the young one feeling disappointment can we? Heavens knows the the world will just open its doors to them.

Sadly, many of those people are starting at the top, because they know how to sell themselves, however, before to long they are in over their heads and the fall from the top is a long drop.

It goes beyond that. There are actually schools that will only use red towels so kids do not see blood when they scrape their knee or elbow. The world has become or becoming too sugar coated.

Cesar R M

the cycle pretty much repeats.

It goes beyond that. There are actually schools that will only use red towels so kids do not see blood when they scrape their knee or elbow. The world has become or becoming too sugar coated.
agree, I facepalmed really hard when one news mentioned the removal of red ink pens for when giving the scores to kids in school, because it would "traumatize them".
And changed the red ink to Purple.

I mean for gods sake A FRIGGING F SHOULD TRAUMATIZE THEM TO MAKE THEM WORK AND PUT EFFORT!
let's not forget the "let's give trophies to everyone, even if they just participated and ended in last place".

Funmeister

the cycle pretty much repeats.

agree, I facepalmed really hard when one news mentioned the removal of red ink pens for when giving the scores to kids in school, because it would "traumatize them".
And changed the red ink to Purple.

I mean for gods sake A FRIGGING F SHOULD TRAUMATIZE THEM TO MAKE THEM WORK AND PUT EFFORT!
let's not forget the "let's give trophies to everyone, even if they just participated and ended in last place".

Not to mention expanding the number of teams that can make the playoffs in high school football. Should a high school team that is 2-6 really have a shot at a championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom