The Sorcerer's Hat Is Staying

LRV3400

Couple of Practical Notes

First off, the hat is MASSIVE! I have been helping guests get photos in front of it and most cameras can't get even half the hat in the picture if you are standing in the plaza. At MK the castle is separated from the hub by water and so it is farther away and fits into photos well. Here at MGM we are so tight for space people don't think to take a picture till they are too close to get a good shot! :rolleyes:

Second, like MK, I think it is OK to have a fanciful icon at the end of a themed street. (I don't think your 1900's small town had a castle!) The mickey shaped plaza at the end of hollywood blvd was never themed to be a real street. It had lots of planters, and the ABC theater and MGM Gate bordering it. Like MK's hub it's theme was much more abstract than the street that feeds it.

Also speaking from the experience of directing guests after the parade, most first-timers are now very unclear about what the Great Movie Ride is and where the entrance is. Both on the guidemap and in real life the hat completely blocks the front entrance.

But all in all I think both the wand and hat make good additions to the respective parks. Both Epcot and MGM are going though identity crisises and are slowly feeling thier way though. Hopefully their decisions are mostly good ones as they both strugle to find themselves.

pheneix

>>>The mickey shaped plaza at the end of hollywood blvd was never themed to be a real street. It had lots of planters, and the ABC theater and MGM Gate bordering it.<<<

That is all Hollywood. Unlike at the Magic Kingdom, where the castle almost seems canon (continuity), there are also three other lands bordering the hub. At MGM, you have Sunset Blvd (to a certain extent it borders it), the "studio," and Echo Lake bordering the hub. You really have to keep the continuity there, otherwise you end up with an abstract mess, which was not the intention.

>>>most first-timers are now very unclear about what the Great Movie Ride is and where the entrance is.<<<

Maybe it is because a big hat is blocking the way in.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by pheneix

>>>most first-timers are now very unclear about what the Great Movie Ride is and where the entrance is.<<<

Maybe it is because a big hat is blocking the way in.

ha ha!

Really, though, all they have to do is look around it :)

plpeters70

Re: Couple of Practical Notes

Originally posted by LRV3400
Both Epcot and MGM are going though identity crisises and are slowly feeling thier way though. Hopefully their decisions are mostly good ones as they both strugle to find themselves.

Yes, they certainly are - but I definitely think they're taking EPCOT in the WRONG direction by taking the future out of Future World and replacing it with Mickey Wands and Testing Today's Cars. I'll know the Future is really dead at Epcot if Mission Space ends up being nothing more than a "astronaut training center" instead of a "space trip in the future".

Good Lord, doesn't anyone at WDW remember what EPCOT Center is supposed to be about??? :mad:

ToTBellHop

perhaps they are going for a slightly brighter future than the dull, aluminum foil-colored Epcot of the past seemed to depict. Disney has clearly stated that Epcot is Disney's Discovery Park--reason being, from the day this park opened, nobody knew what it was because it had two distinct, unrelated halves that didn't seem to connect at all. By combining visiting the future and visiting the world and making Epcot the Discovery Park, Disney both opened doors for new attractions and contributed to the continuity of the park--they are obviously still working on completing this continuity as they try to make a more whole park--not two separate parks joined at the hip. As for the general influx of the Mouse between MGM and Epcot...maybe it's good for people to remember where it all started every once in a while.

TURKEY

The future keeps changing. It's hard to stay in the future with all of the technological advances being made.

So why not make something that the public can't do and is fun at the same time?

ToTBellHop

exactly. This is the problem Disney had with Tomorrowland...it is very expensive build an area, much less half of a park, that stays futuristic...it demands a complete overhaul every 20 years or so...

plpeters70

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
The future keeps changing. It's hard to stay in the future with all of the technological advances being made.

That's true, but isn't that why we all go to Disney - because they give us something amazing? If we wanted something that is easy to produce than we would all just go to our local amusement parks. I expect a little more from Disney. Yes, it's hard to keep the future "futuristic", but it can be done, and I expect Disney to keep doing it at EPCOT.

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
So why not make something that the public can't do and is fun at the same time?

Great, but why can't it be "themed" to the future as well. If you're talking about Test Track, couldn't we just have easily have been testing some amazing new "car of the future" in a futuristic looking "Test Track"?? All that would have needed to change was the look of the cars, and the theming involved would have been more immersive.

plpeters70

Originally posted by DogsRule!
...it demands a complete overhaul every 20 years or so...

Isn't that why Disney gets corporate sponsers - to help pay for the changes?? Perphaps they should be a little more aggresive about getting some new sponsers for EPCOT, or keeping the ones they have.

jmarc63

Originally posted by DogsRule!
exactly. This is the problem Disney had with Tomorrowland...it is very expensive build an area, much less half of a park, that stays futuristic...it demands a complete overhaul every 20 years or so...

Walt seemed to understand that and is why DLs Tommrowland was rebult from the ground up twice .

My opinnion is that they really cheesed the WDW remodeled of tommrowland with the jules vern applied accents, and not a full job of it either. Look at the TTA bridge from the courtyard to SM. It is the original concreat structure they built in 75 exposed.

I think they did a better job on the DL remake in 97

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by jmarc63

Walt seemed to understand that and is why DLs Tommrowland was rebult from the ground up twice .

My opinnion is that they really cheesed the WDW remodeled of tommrowland with the jules vern applied accents, and not a full job of it either. Look at the TTA bridge from the courtyard to SM. It is the original concreat structure they built in 75 exposed.

I agree that it does look a little cheesy but it definitely looks cool at night :)

JLW11Hi

I guess I dont know much about DL's Tomorrowland, but I am guessing that it is more of a "Realistic" view of the future than the MK's?

This would be because WDW also has Epcot to be the "realistic future", so Tomorrowland has changed to more of a cheesy, buck rodgers type "Tomorrow" place. I think that is fine.

pheneix

>>>I guess I dont know much about DL's Tomorrowland, but I am guessing that it is more of a "Realistic" view of the future than the MK's?<<<

No, it is cheap and tacky, and not much else. I'm serious, I was in shock by just how garish and insane it looked. Not only that, but half of the attractions there are closed now, the one original E-ticket that did open with the land (Rocket Rods) is closed because of how cheaply it was built, and the attractions that remain are a pathetic trade show (Innoventions), a 10 year old movie (Honey), an ancient simulator (Star Tours), and a spinner that has dramatically less thrill than what it replaced (Astro Orbitor). The one good attraction there is Space Mountain, but without the music, it is not that special compared to WDW's. From what I have heard, the new Autopia is also supposed to be good, but I haven't been on it yet.

Even though WDW's Tomorrowland has a few weak spots with it's theming, it's line-up of GOOD attractions definitely makes up for it.

You can read more about DL's Tomorrowland here:

http://www.laughingplace.com/Info-Att-L-DL-TL.asp

Credit given to LP for the attached pic.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 132

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

I guess I dont know much about DL's Tomorrowland, but I am guessing that it is more of a "Realistic" view of the future than the MK's?

This would be because WDW also has Epcot to be the "realistic future", so Tomorrowland has changed to more of a cheesy, buck rodgers type "Tomorrow" place. I think that is fine.

Well the DL makeover was in theaming of what they did at DLP and IMO the DL was a beter job than WDW unfourtunally. they could have done a total makeover at WDW instead of leaving some of the 1975 structure exposed like they did.

as far as the real future. It really is what you make it. in reality some of the futuristic ideas of the future are from the post WWII dreamers for a brighter and more peaceful tommrow with spoaceage materials and flying vehicles, etc. after the second War to end all wars and the dark period it created

I guess we were hoping to get past that part of our lives and brighten things up a bit and have hope for peace. the bright concreat and the shape of the structures were technological acheavements acheaved during the 50s and 60s and Walt caught the bug for a more technological future . you can see the developement of the futureists ideas in the first three incarnations of DLs tommrowland. with the third being the template for WDWs version.

If the furturists ideas had come to fruition we would have Videophones to talk to our friends( now by internet) and flying cars.(ala Jetsons/Back to the future) the E.P.C.O.T. style of neighbourhoods where we live instead of sprawling suburbs.

Oh and the topper Nuclear energy which was sopposed to be so clean and cheap it would be to cheap to meter. now were spending Billions to store spent fuel rods and decomission old plants that wont be useful till the next mellium. unfortunally we have had some change in our thinking of the future and many ideas of the 50s 60s and 70s are not feasable for too many reasons to go into here.

Check out this link to a look at DLs tommrowland in the 70s

http://home.pacbell.net/jonvn/tomorrowland1.html

ToTBellHop

exactly; the old Tomorrowland became out-dated. It is very expensive to completely redo a land as we have seen with our Tomorrowland--most of our attractions are drastically different from what they were--the exception being Space Mountain. Our New Tomorrowland is generally far better accepted than Disneyland's--Disney has openly called Disneyland's version a disaster. I like our new Tomorrowland--it looks like an alien city. You have to admit it won't become out-dated too easily...

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>I guess I dont know much about DL's Tomorrowland, but I am guessing that it is more of a "Realistic" view of the future than the MK's?<<<

No, it is cheap and tacky, and not much else. I'm serious, I was in shock by just how garish and insane it looked. Not only that, but half of the attractions there are closed now, the one original E-ticket that did open with the land (Rocket Rods) is closed because of how cheaply it was built, and the attractions that remain are a pathetic trade show (Innoventions), a 10 year old movie (Honey), an ancient simulator (Star Tours), and a spinner that has dramatically less thrill than what it replaced (Astro Orbitor). The one good attraction there is Space Mountain, but without the music, it is not that special compared to WDW's. From what I have heard, the new Autopia is also supposed to be good, but I haven't been on it yet.

Even though WDW's Tomorrowland has a few weak spots with it's theming, it's line-up of GOOD attractions definitely makes up for it.

You can read more about DL's Tomorrowland here:

http://www.laughingplace.com/Info-Att-L-DL-TL.asp

Credit given to LP for the attached pic.

I still would have to see it for myself (Which I will be doing this fall when I go to California :D ), but from the link you gave me, I can see your point. It seems that with the "space museum" thing and Innoventions, Tomorrowland seems to struggle with its theming. Is it a realistic view of the future, or is it Buck Rodger's? From the reviews, it looks like Autopia is pretty cool, I hope the MK replaces the Tomorrowland Speedway with this. I will have to give "Honey" and "Star Tours" credit, because they are popular attractions over at WDW, although it would be nice if Disneyland was given something original.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what the next makeover will be like!

jmarc63

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

I still would have to see it for myself (Which I will be doing this fall when I go to California :D ), but from the link you gave me, I can see your point. It seems that with the "space museum" thing and Innoventions, Tomorrowland seems to struggle with its theming. Is it a realistic view of the future, or is it Buck Rodger's? From the reviews, it looks like Autopia is pretty cool, I hope the MK replaces the Tomorrowland Speedway with this. I will have to give "Honey" and "Star Tours" credit, because they are popular attractions over at WDW, although it would be nice if Disneyland was given something original.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what the next makeover will be like!

accually It comes from Jules Vern. since the future becomes out dated so quickly that the new Idea to keep from rebuilding Tommrowland every 10 years is to go to the fantasy version like in jules vern stories.

plpeters70

accually It comes from Jules Vern. since the future becomes out dated so quickly that the new Idea to keep from rebuilding Tommrowland every 10 years is to go to the fantasy version like in jules vern stories.

I just don't understand what the big deal is about them having to update Tomorrowland every ten years or so?? These parks generate HUGE profits for the company - I don't think it's asking to much that they update the area every 10 years. At least that would give them something BIG to advertise to the public. I think people are making too many excuses for Disney being cheap with their parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom