The Sorcerer's Hat Is Staying

Pat571

hey guys all i have to say is things change, its always gonna change like the big hand for epoct, which i like to the giant hat which is pretty neato, its not gonna stay the same forever.

JLW11Hi

I would liek to see the hat moved, too, but I don't think that moving a gigantic thing like the hat would be very easy. It would probably be too expensive or something

JLW11Hi

Ok, STGRhost, you need to settle down. This is a discussion board, and that is exactly what we are doing: discussing. I think the hat looks cool and all, but I just think that it is really blocking something important to the park.

yes, we all know it is a recreation of another theater. That is why it was put there. i have been to Hollywood, and trust me, I would choose to go to Disney's recreation of Hollywood over the real one ANY day. The real place is, well, kinda run down sadly. I realize that Disney might be trying to tell people that the Studios are more towards Disney's movies than anything else, but in my opinion, I think the park should stand for all movies, and not just one studio. I mean, Disney isn't the only company that makes movies. And when I am talking about movies, I dont just mean animated ones. I love Disney animation, and the Animation studio is probably my favorite place in the whole park. But I also love live action movies, mostly classic ones (my favorite actor is Jimmy Stewart :D) And I think with Disney backing away from the whole Hollywood image and more towards the Disney movies in general, well, I just think they dont have to do that. Ok, I dont know how to word this, but if you dont know what the hell I am talking about, then just pretend you get it. I dont normally type this long of a post. Ok, I am going no where. Goodbye. Have a nice day. :hammer:

Pat571

who ever said they where gettting ride of the great movie ride?? all they need to do is revamp it with some new films i love that ride though.

djmatthews

I agree with the vast majority of people on here, I love the hat, great icon, WRONG PLACE! I think it should be up near Fantasmic, that would be very appropriate (until Fantasmic changes to a different show), or it should have been maybe at the front of the park so you walk under it to enter it.

I hated the 25th Castle Cake, which spoilt my first WDW trip, it just wasn't magical. The 2000 logo was OK, but it should have been removed. The thing that annoys me now is that the sign reads Epcot, and the park is actually E.P.C.O.T.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Time to learn to love it...I personally love it...you can see it from the highway that runs along the back of the studios. Anyone who has seen it at night can verify that it definitely adds a ton of disney magic to the studios.

Also, they spent almost a year in construction, that thing is anchored into concrete supports that run pretty deep into the ground. It's not something that was ever designed to be reassembled and moved. The concrete around that area has been changed from the "hidden mickey" to center around the hat.

STGRhost

The thing that annoys me now is that the sign reads Epcot, and the park is actually E.P.C.O.T.

Actually, the park is officially "Epcot" now...(No more acronym) Not that it changes the fact that it gives Spaceship Earth that "Eat at Joe's!" quality. I don't like it, either...

Oh, and Justin (JLW11Hi), I'm fine. I love the concept of a discussion board, but I get riled when people post things that really aren't news. I even said myself :
Discuss the merits of WHERE it is, and WHAT it is (a firigging shop!) all you want
SEE? I'm all for discussing the damn thing, but going back and forth about whether or not it's permanent, when even the company has said this is a FACT, is getting annoying....
Also? I was tired...worked all day in the HOT. But thanks for your concern:)

Andy

I sort of agree with you on this point, however, I think that the Epcot logo really highlights Epcot, people were just forgetting about the park, by putting the logo on the top of Spaceship Earth is a great reminder that Epcot does change and is still current.

ToTBellHop

As I have said before, the Epcot Wand adds color to Epcot, which Disney has been doing a lot of late--reason being we no longer see a future where everything is silver and people dress in aluminum foil clothes.

Merlin0402

Original Poster
Sorry that I posted this thread, I obviously didn't know that the hat was announced as being permanent. I am a huge Disney fan, and I never remember hearing anything about this. However, I really don't appreciate how I was told that the hat would be permanent. In the future, inform me nicely instead of biting my head off. Thanks

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Andy
I sort of agree with you on this point, however, I think that the Epcot logo really highlights Epcot, people were just forgetting about the park, by putting the logo on the top of Spaceship Earth is a great reminder that Epcot does change and is still current.

Whatever! Should they put Magic Kingdom up over the castle too? I think Spaceship Earth was fine - now it's cheesy...but still not as cheesy as the hat! Was there a contest to see what would be the tackiest thing to do at WDW and I somehow missed it?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Relax...this is a matter of opinion..I like the wand...they wouldn't cross certain lines, and when the 2000 went over huge they probably figured that MOST people would like it, which I bet most do. (Take a poll at a park, not on a die-hard disney board like this). I think the shear magnitude of it makes it amazing by itself.

Remember that everyone is allowed to their own opinions. Feel free to debate, but please do not flame. I'm not being specific here, just asking for a little more civility.

Thank you.

cymbaldiva

Flame? That was by no means flaming ....As far as the wand, I thought that it was very elegant and tasteful for 2000. Silly me though, I thought it would go away afterwards...

TURKEY

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
Flame? That was by no means flaming ....As far as the wand, I thought that it was very elegant and tasteful for 2000. Silly me though, I thought it would go away afterwards...

I don't think he was talking directly to you.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by turkey leg boy

I don't think he was talking directly to you.

I really do hope not...I'm bad to take all things personally. Wouldn't it be so great if we were all in the same place at the same time to talk this over in person? We all love Disney, so I know we'd all get along! :)

Tramp

The Sorcerer's Hat is a beautiful structure...but I will go to my grave believing it doesn't belong on Hollywood Blvd...

...the next time you visit the Studios, notice how short Hollywood Blvd. looks with this monstrosity sitting at the end of it...it ruined the entire atmosphere of the street...all for another lousy friggin' pin & souvenir shop...

...we were there for the July 4th 'Sorcery in the Sky' fireworks show and it looked nice with the fireworks exploding above and around it...there are some special lighting effects that make the Hat look nice at night...

...several Disney managers told me that the hat was permanent (no surprise there) and that the 100 years of Magic sign will be removed by March 2003 and replaced with some sort of design that will allow you to see thru it...this I gotta see....apparently, they've taken a lot of heat about the view of the Chinese Theater being obliterated by the Hat...duh, guess that's something that the Imagineers failed to imagine!

Tramp

Originally posted by Fievel
Relax...this is a matter of opinion..I like the wand...they wouldn't cross certain lines, and when the 2000 went over huge they probably figured that MOST people would like it, which I bet most do.

Howdy Fievel!
I like the wand too...I'm not too crazy about the design of Spaceship Earth in general...too many people call it the "Ball"...even cast members ....perhaps if it were designed to look like Planet Earth more than a golf ball...I really like this attraction alot.

VinnieG

Well if they have to keep the hat AFTER the 100 years I sure hope they do not put MGM Studios on it like on Spaceship Earth with EPCOT on the Wand.Like we do not know where we are.

d dude

Personally, i like the hat, yeah it does make Holley Wood Blv. seem a lot smaller, but its still kewl

I hate the EPCOT sing tho

bearboysnc

I like the hat, but it belongs somewhere with more breathing room. It's a great icon for the park. I personally think they need a bigger main gate area. It would have anchored a new gate quite nicely.

Besides the GMR, what else has a MGM copywrited image (within the park)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom