The Sorcerer's Hat Is Staying

plpeters70

Originally posted by VinnieG
on it like on Spaceship Earth with EPCOT on the Wand.Like we do not know where we are.

No kidding, but for me, that's not the worst thing about that wand -- what I hate the most is that they have Mickey holding it up!!! It's like they somehow have to explain to everyone that "Yes, there is Disney Magic here at EPCOT". What's next - a big sign that says "FUN HERE" with an arrow pointing to the ball. I just don't see this thing as being necessary - not to mention that it absolutely ruins the theming of Future World. I mean, is this supposed to be the world of the Future, or Fantasyland???

Oh, and I feel pretty much the same about the Hat -- I just don't care about MGM as much as I do about EPCOT.

Sherm00

I haven't sen the wand or the hat yet. The wand Definitly pulls the spirit out of EPCOT. to me EPCOT , science should have been the key for future world. Then again the wand kinda fits the future part of imagination. as far as the HAT haven't seen it yet but the pictures look awesome. I will make a better decision when I get back. as for the castle cake that was really awesome. it was unique diffrent and imaginitive when it was there. if it staied looking like a cake it would definitly took away from the magic kingdom park.

wdwcrazy

When they decided to put the Epcot up to replace the 2000, Disney said that they wanted to identify Spaceship earth with Epcot more. People knew about the "big golf ball" but had no idea where it was. Now they do.:)

Attachments

• dscf0012.jpg
    dscf0012.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 153

pheneix

No, it was just cheaper to slap "Epcot" on it than it would be to do a favor to humanity by tearing it down.

Besides, if someone knows that Spaceship Earth is, and not where it is at, then they are brain dead. SE represents, no, I'll go higher than that, it *IS* Epcot. Nothing else testifies to the high reach of the Imagineers or the spirit of looking forward like Spaceship Earth (the icon, not the ride itself) does.

WDWManic

Originally posted by bearboysnc
I like the hat, but it belongs somewhere with more breathing room. It's a great icon for the park. I personally think they need a bigger main gate area. It would have anchored a new gate quite nicely.

Besides the GMR, what else has a MGM copywrited image (within the park)?
Yeah i agree with you, it ruins the atmosphere when you are walking that street and instead of see the Theatre you see a huge Mickey Hat.

CAPTAIN HOOK

When we were last at WDW they were still constructing the site for the hat - personally I can't wait to see it.

From what I've seen of it in photos, I think it looks great.

wdwcrazy

It looks great in pictures, and looks even better in person. The best part is at night when it's all lit up. It looks amazing.

Dizneydude87

I heard that one of the reasons they put the hat up is beacuase they wanted to take the central focus off the Chinese Theatre. They did this beacuase they are supposed to be taking it down, or re-vamping it or something. But that is just what I heard, and is a RUMOR. Please don't shoot the messenger...lol. I kinda like the hat there, but I wonder...where it says, "100 Years Of Magic" at the bottom, what are they going to put there? Or will they just take it off, and leave it with nothing?

Pease Easy!:hammer:

Merlin0402

Original Poster
The reason that I don't like the wand is because it's so cheap! It's basically a metal structure covered in plywood, but what makes it even worse is what it's connected to. One of the most amazing examples of architecture ever created. Needless to say, it looks very tacky.

wanabeimagineer

I dont mind so much the wand (dont get me wrong, I liked it a lot better before, but I can live with it) as I hate that they got rid of the old entrance for those stupid picture things that you can barely see the people's faces (by the way, I found N'sync on there)

As for the hat, it's beautiful at night, but all in all it ruins the whole "studio atmosphere" of the park.

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
When they decided to put the Epcot up to replace the 2000, Disney said that they wanted to identify Spaceship earth with Epcot more. People knew about the "big golf ball" but had no idea where it was. Now they do.:)

I liked the 2000 better. Hey,at least I knew what year it was. Why don't they take down the Epcot and start putting together 2004 (you figure, it takes them a year and a half to put one of those signs together). If they start now, they can have it up by Jan 1, 2004 :) :lol:

STGRhost

I liked the 2000 better. Hey,at least I knew what year it was. Why don't they take down the Epcot and start putting together 2004 (you figure, it takes them a year and a half to put one of those signs together). If they start now, they can have it up by Jan 1, 2004

In the future...we'll have REALLY BIG calendars!:sohappy:

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by pheneix
No, it was just cheaper to slap "Epcot" on it than it would be to do a favor to humanity by tearing it down.

Besides, if someone knows that Spaceship Earth is, and not where it is at, then they are brain dead. SE represents, no, I'll go higher than that, it *IS* Epcot. Nothing else testifies to the high reach of the Imagineers or the spirit of looking forward like Spaceship Earth (the icon, not the ride itself) does.

EXACTLY!!! You are SO my mental soulmate!!! :D

MKingdom25

I have a question that I don't think has been up here. Although the hat will stay, will the "100 Years of Magic" sign stay below the hat? Also will the exhibits below the hat continue to be related to the 100 YOM? I am wondering if they will put any new label below it once 100 YOM is over and what they will do with the exhibit area underneath. Anybody know?

Tramp

Originally posted by MKingdom25
I have a question that I don't think has been up here. Although the hat will stay, will the "100 Years of Magic" sign stay below the hat? Also will the exhibits below the hat continue to be related to the 100 YOM? I am wondering if they will put any new label below it once 100 YOM is over and what they will do with the exhibit area underneath. Anybody know?

I was told by an area manager that the 100 Years sign will be removed March, 2003 but didn't mention what would replace it except that the replacement would allow visibility of the Chinese Theater to some extent...this guy could've been a big bag of wind and not know what he was talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom