The Sorcerer's Hat Is Staying

Merlin0402

Original Poster
I think that they should move the hat to the pathway to Fantasmic. This way it wouldn't hurt the theming of Sunset Blvd., and it would give people something to look at on the rather long and boring path.

bgraham34

I do like the hat, but i must agree that it is in the wrong spot. I love walking in MGM and seeing the theater in the distance. Just some fun memories.

cymbaldiva

It's only my opinion, but the wand needs to go (kewl for 2000, but it's over now), hat needs to go (once it's served it's purpose "Bu-Bye!), and Thank Goodness the Birthday cake finally did go! I hated that from moment one! :D

DisneyFreak721

Originally posted by jimmybop

and its good that you can see it from most of the park... it works like the Castle in MK. Its at the center, and if you ever loose your place in the park (maybe not the people on this board.. but the lesser disney fanatics..) can figure out where they are by finding the hat.:)

Hmmmmm. What am I thinking of that serves the same purpose....it skips my mind what they're called...oh yeah! GUIDEMAPS!!

JLW11Hi

Guidemaps only help sometimes. Believe me, I get lost at MGM even using a guidemap. (Not necessarily finding my way to the central hub)

It once took me 2 circles up and down NY Street to find my way to MUppet Vision 3D. Its in a place I kept thinking was a backstage area!

DisneyFreak721

I guess I just have an Inate Sense of Direction...but the parks, IMO, are extremely easy to navigate through and a large Hat wouldn't make a difference.

dennikoon

I guess that the big brass at Disney do not have confidence in the original concepts of both EPCOT and Studios. Spaceship Earth was always such an architectrual wonder in its simplicity and so confident as an icon. The Micky wand and second-grade-writing-class "Epcot" really just dumbs down the entire park. I understand that the direction of the park is evolving, but by trying to make EPCOT magical, they took away the majesty. Likewise, it seems that the adult sophistication that was supposed to be intergal to MGM park is being pushed aside for "whimsical"embelishments. That hat is just beating the guests over the head saying "This park is just as fun as MK!".

Sort of makes you wonder what Fantasia Mickey fluff they are going to inflict on animal kingdom. Perhaps a 100ft Scorcer Mickey next to the tree with an ax.

DisneyFreak721

Originally posted by Merlin0402
I think that they should move the hat to the pathway to Fantasmic. This way it wouldn't hurt the theming of Sunset Blvd., and it would give people something to look at on the rather long and boring path.

And it kind of gives hints as to the show too! That's a good idea...wait..thought..Wouldn't that kind of block the tower of terror though? It's still a good idea though!

VinnieG

The Hat has got to go.It was fine for the 100years celebration but it has to go.MGM is not the same with this hat blocking The Great Movie ride.:mad:

Rider

Long thread, making all my points here:

-I liked the Big Cake and it didn't bother me when it came down.

-I never liked the 2000 sign and I knew it was staying for a long time. The first time I say it I looked at the structure and said this is expensive. I knew they wouldn't put something like that up if it only stayed for a little bit. And I was right. I DO hope they take it down.

-The Hat is OK for me but I would like to see it gone too. Moving it over to Fantasmic is an interesting idea, but they made that hat the icon on all the products and stuff, so I think it is staying put.

-I THINK they reason they put the hat where it is is to replace the great movie ride. Which is sad, because that is everything that park is, all wraped into one great ride. You know if they build another ride there, it wont have the quality of GMR.

wdwcrazy

All of you people are funny. Do you really think that Disney will ever spend the money to pick up the hat and move it? :lol: :lol: The hat will be there for years and years. I hope everyone gets to like it because it's not going anywhere.

Attachments

• dscf0043.jpg
    dscf0043.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 217

DanStat

I've liked every logo that they've put out...I liked the Castle Cake, I like the EPCOT sign, I like the Sorcerer's Hat...I think the Sorcerer's Hat has as much to do with Disney movies as the China Theater does...

monorail256

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
I've liked every logo that they've put out...I liked the Castle Cake, I like the EPCOT sign, I like the Sorcerer's Hat...I think the Sorcerer's Hat has as much to do with Disney movies as the China Theater does...

Can I get an AMEN! lol :lol:

X-STech

Originally posted by disneyprep50321

So have I. But I feel sorry for the Great Movie Ride. I think its a great ride. I don't want the hat to go anywhere but at the same time I don't like to see the Great Movie Ride almost hidden behind the hat. :(

TravisMT81

true the hat is a great icon, though I like it there at the moment, I don;t want to see it there after the "celebrations" though it will. Great Movie Ride will probably lose attendence and give them and excuse to close it,you know how disney works these days.

Merlin0402

Original Poster
It just makes me sad to know that the people who are currently running the show, made a decision like this, knowing full well the effect it would have on the area. It just doesn't fit with the surrounding area at all, and while it is a great icon on its own, it's hurting the area around it.

STGRhost

Hasn't this been public knowledge since the hat was completed? It is a new Icon for the park... which was announced back when construction
first started.

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say!

:brick: WDCo. has said, from day 1 (of announcing the Hat), with no minced words, that the Hat is the new, permanent Icon for the Disney MGM Studios. kjhg;oakhfg!@*!*! [bangs head on keyboard] It's there. To stay. Where. It. Is.

As for WHY it is in front of the Chinese Theatre: First, the Theatre was NEVER the official Icon for the Studios. It's not even a DISNEY creation. It's a REAL Landmark, and a REAL icon for someplace/someone else. Also, the 5 - 10 year plan for the park includes plans for the Great Movie Ride to <gasp> dissapear. Travis had it right when he said this could be used as another (the final) nail in GMR's coffin.

Please, please, lets not spend any more time on whether the Hat is there to stay. Discuss the merits of WHERE it is, and WHAT it is (a firigging shop!) all you want, but the truth is, it's NOT going anywhere... [sigh...have to take a nap now...]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom