The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY- Hype Thread

D Hulk

While we wait for results I wanted to share this shirt with you all that gave me heavy VBB flashbacks...View attachment 442577
enhance

#VBB

Disney Dad 3000

TEAM FANTASY
1579317057389-png.441997

This was the ultimate contrast to Team Tomorrow: where Tomorrow was filled with brainstorming, taking risks, and a wide focus, Team Fantasy brought us a slower, more analytical planning process, taking a “safer” bet that nonetheless paid off well. It’s also the only of the three that I feel is truly about the park entrance.

Special kudos to @Disney Dad 3000 for his amazing video. The combination of “An Imagineering Story” with references to past Sorcerer’s Apprentice Seasons got me instantly invested in what you had to offer.

(BTW is cutting to Tintin when they say “what didn’t work so we never do it again” intentional? LOL)

PRESENTATION
NGL, this was a bit disappointing. The forum post is the default choice in most competitions, but as you all know, the Sorcerer’s Apprentice is known for its more out of the box presentation models. I suppose we want to save for a buildup in later stanzas?

No reading music? Alright, I look some up myself.

LA VILLE LUMIERE (nice french name!)
tZHMQx4AA2Tz4JaCX1HwheUs.jpeg

I LOVE the choice to go for French Filmmaking. It holds far more weight than Walt Disney. The great idea combined with @orlando678- ‘s fabulous writing creates a certain elegance to this land. It’s not jumping in your face with excitement (Hollywood DHS) or cringe (Production Studio WDSP). But, I have three concerns.

My first concern is if this suits the rest of the park. You have a beautiful little land themed to French Film History… and then transition to Toon Studios, Marvel, Star Wars… there’s even an attraction called “Porkchop Falls”! It’s not that either idea is bad (both are fantastic) it’s that La Ville Lumiere doesn’t really represent the rest of the park. Had your 5 year plan been more Film History (ex: a b-movie monster land, a spaghetti western land) it would have been a stronger cohesive whole. Although admittedly unrealistic for the mouse.

My second concern revolves around whether the French would be interested in going to France. But because this is an entrance land, I’d say it works.

My third and final concern revolves around how short this project is, which is funny because I just got off Team Tomorrow. I don’t take issue with the simplicity of this land, because sometimes less is more. BUT when you have such a simple concept, you have an opportunity to expand it out. Give each restaurant a menu instead of each e-ticket a ride-through. That’s just not here, unfortunately.

SHOPPING
I love how the shops haven’t really changed all that much, but with a simple rename, interior redecorating, and tonal shift goes from cheesy to elegant. This really is the Paris you see in the movies!

DINING
For an entrance to the park, this does a good job capturing the “Paris” feeling without going overkill. Parisians know what Paris is really like, so they’d likely see this is as just a generic cuisine… so you didn’t do a $$$ restaurant. Instead, you have a highlight reel of some French favorites, which should do its purpose of serving any hungry guest just entering the park. Reminds me of the first eateries in Main Street USA.

THE FIVE YEAR PLAN
This is the proper detailing for a five-year plan. Simple, to the point. I kinda wish you detailed Frozen Land a bit, I’m just going to assume it’s a clone of Ace’s Frozen Land in DLR.

THE SANCTUM GRILL
Howard Park was made before Doctor Strange came out, so it makes perfect sense for the area to be updated to better reflect the MCU today. Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the name, “Howard Park” particularly when we consider the MCU now doesn’t even have Tony. Avengers Campus is a better name.

But I was a bit confused why you’d chosen to make Doctor Strange an eatery. Then I realized the whole “three Sanctums” thing, and I found it really interesting! You could play with three different cuisines. This is a smart choice, even if strange when you consider this was given significant details while Frozen remains unmentioned.

PORKCHOP FALLS
You could have totally brought in Midway Mania and called it a day, but I LOVE this concept! And the park does need a log flume. Going into Andy’s imagination would work really well.

GALAXY’S EDGE - ENDOR
I applaud your decision to avoid Batuu and instead give us the Forest Moon of Endor. Particularly when we consider in the SAU, DHS has Tatooine, DLR Batuu, and DLHK has Rothana.

Endor has always made sense as a theme park land. Exploring the Ewok Village would be a ton of fun. I also liked the Endor Speeder Bike Challenge. My only concern here is the lack of attractions. Not just rides, but “interactive” experiences too. For instance, an Ewok show. Or a rope course. Or a cave home to a Jedi hermit, where you can build your own lightsaber.

Endor Speeder Bike Challenge sounds like a lot of fun, and I like the combination of physical and simulator scenes. I’ve never been on Tron Lightcycle Power Run, but I’ve heard good things about it!

speeder_bikes.jpg

My one suggestion here would be to break up the wall of text! Also, bolding key attractions tends to improve readability.

SECOND ENTRANCE
At first glance, this is a smart idea. But now I’m not sure. Would the second entrance be open to the public? I know DCA has a second entrance, but it’s only for hotel guests. If you create two separate entrances for guests, the park might lose some of its identity… especially the entrance! For a prompt focused on the entrance, I’m worried you’ve sabotaged it here.

TOON STUDIOS
1-10.png

This is the big oof. You guys were planning on describing Toon Studios, but couldn’t get along to it. You definitely didn’t have to describe it in detail, but there is no mention of it whatsoever, besides the park map. This is a big issue when we consider the thematic cohesion of your park.

Why is the Tower of Terror still standing in the middle of Toon Studios? What would be in Toon Studios? For such a large land in the middle of your park, it’s absence seriously damages your 5-year plan. Something like your Galaxy’s Edge writeup would have done fine.

Luckily, the focus on this Stanza was on the entrance land, not the 5-year-plan. That was the frosting on the cake. That puts you in a good spot moving forward.

CONCLUSION
Overall, this was a great turn around from a concerning first half. There are some really awesome ideas here (French film, Porkchop Falls) but I just felt the detail was lacking, particularly around the entry land, and Toon Studios’ lack of mention whatsoever.

In the future, I’d suggest better planning, and possibly posting everything onto a Google Doc, even if you copy-paste it to a forum post after the fact. When a stanza starts, feel free to go wild with crazy ideas, and hone in and sharpen those creative juices later on.​

Ha. Yes. Tin Tin was totally intentional. When I pulled that audio from the show and that line was in there, had to do it considering the SA background.

DisneyManOne

I am in awe as to how many prominent theme park YouTubers are in this. For example, there's Tony Goldmark (aka Some Jerk with a Camera) as Dick Huemer, Rob Plays as Ward Kimball, Alicia Stella (she of Theme Park Stop) as Katherine Kerwin and Disney Dan as Ken Peterson. Someone on Twitter even compared this to Avengers: Endgame, but for theme park YouTubers.

Oh, and fun fact, the guy who played Walt Disney was Rocco Botte, aka the guy who cosplayed as Drew Carey in Superstar Limo at last summer's D23 Expo.

TheOriginalTiki

@mickeyfan5534 I finally got around to seeing Little Women and I've got to say I'm somewhat in awe with it. It probably helps that I'm not familiar with the story so I absolutely got sucked up in the melodrama with zero frame of reference for where it was going. Beyond that though, I'm leaning towards the camp of people who loves the framing device. I actually think after seeing the story told this way with an older Jo in darker times reflecting on her brighter past, seeing it told in straight chronological order would be boring haha.

The cast...MY GOD the cast. Ronan was fantastic as always, but the three who really stuck out to me were Laura Dern, Timothy Chalamet and of course Florence Pugh. I actually like Dern's performance in this more than in Marriage Story and her love and affection just radiates off the screen. Chalamet is a perfect leading man in the story and I love his mix of charm and in-over-his-head awkwardness. Florence Pugh...mother of god this woman is a sensation and I honestly don't remember a year that was dominated by a newcomer quite like 2019 was with her. Hell, even Bob Odenkirk shines as the father for what little screen time he has. All in all just a fantastic movie. I can see why the story made Moe Szyslack weep.

mickeyfan5534

@mickeyfan5534 I finally got around to seeing Little Women and I've got to say I'm somewhat in awe with it. It probably helps that I'm not familiar with the story so I absolutely got sucked up in the melodrama with zero frame of reference for where it was going. Beyond that though, I'm leaning towards the camp of people who loves the framing device. I actually think after seeing the story told this way with an older Jo in darker times reflecting on her brighter past, seeing it told in straight chronological order would be boring haha.

The cast...MY GOD the cast. Ronan was fantastic as always, but the three who really stuck out to me were Laura Dern, Timothy Chalamet and of course Florence Pugh. I actually like Dern's performance in this more than in Marriage Story and her love and affection just radiates off the screen. Chalamet is a perfect leading man in the story and I love his mix of charm and in-over-his-head awkwardness. Florence Pugh...mother of god this woman is a sensation and I honestly don't remember a year that was dominated by a newcomer quite like 2019 was with her. Hell, even Bob Odenkirk shines as the father for what little screen time he has. All in all just a fantastic movie. I can see why the story made Moe Szyslack weep.

I don't wanna say I told you so but...
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom