The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

RandySavage

There is whole lot of awkwardness that comes from this project being a snapshot of when its basic plan was finalized about 5 or 6 years ago. The POTC film series is wrapping up next summer and Tron 3 was cancelled last year. But hey, if it was designed now, you could be sure that Star Wars land, Frozen land, and Marvel lamd would be replacing Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Adventureland respectively. This is why I think DLP was adapted best because despite being built 25 years ago, it wasn't made up of flavor of the moment IP like this was.

While being touted as the first "PotC movie land", my feeling is that Treasure Cove stands on its own as an adaptable pirate-land and doesn't need to rely on Bruckheimer/Depp's film franchise (unlike say a Wizarding World, Star Wars Land, Carsland or Pandora).

A majority of the opening day content does have some direct or indirect connection to that filmic world (typically by the venue name, e.g. Pintel & Rigetti's Grub), at least two attractions don't (the Canoes and Shipwreck Shore). And physically and architecturally, everything on the outside of Treasure Cove is original (they haven't recreated any buildings, ships, etc. that were seen in the films). For example, if Disney were to remake RLS's "Treasure Island" down the road, I could see that IP going into Treasure Cove without any problem (or if they were to add more original material, change out the stunt show for a new one, etc.).

As a themed environment, Treasure Cove looks like one of the neatest ever put together (its lead imagineer Luc Mayrand was recently promoted to head of WDI Asia)... hope walking through it lives up to what the photos conjure.

Also, I think Depp will always come back round to playing Jack Sparrow as long as he is still working in film.

Last edited:

reverted

It's so difficult trying NOT to watch all these videos and pics. >< Trying to to keep some surprises for when I visit SDL. (Not that that is happening anytime soon) :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
shdisney has posted his next segment of POTC.. this is the same segment we saw out of order earlier. But this seems a bit clearer.

You come up to Davy Jones REALLY close... then it's more clear what is happening in the ships. You are all underwater, then the ships suddenly start raising to the surface and you too start this surge towards the surface.. you break through with the ships on the screen.. then you find yourself inbetween the big physical ship sets. Looks pretty damn convincing on video :)

Mike S

shdisney has posted his next segment of POTC.. this is the same segment we saw out of order earlier. But this seems a bit clearer.

You come up to Davy Jones REALLY close... then it's more clear what is happening in the ships. You are all underwater, then the ships suddenly start raising to the surface and you too start this surge towards the surface.. you break through with the ships on the screen.. then you find yourself inbetween the big physical ship sets. Looks pretty damn convincing on video :)

Wow. I just now realized that the glow in the dark thing that's been appearing in the videos with Davy Jones is some guys hat :hilarious:

That's Instagram quality for ya :)

dweezil78

There is whole lot of awkwardness that comes from this project being a snapshot of when its basic plan was finalized about 5 or 6 years ago. The POTC film series is wrapping up next summer and Tron 3 was cancelled last year. But hey, if it was designed now, you could be sure that Star Wars land, Frozen land, and Marvel lamd would be replacing Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Adventureland respectively. This is why I think DLP was adapted best because despite being built 25 years ago, it wasn't made up of flavor of the moment IP like this was.

I'm really not trying to be a Disney apologist here -- because, in reality, I'm far from it. But I think you're being a little over-dramatic here.

There's really not much awkwardness. A Tron themed coaster in Tomorrowland will always be a rad idea and provide a great design aesthetic for the area no matter how well the sequel performed or even if it never had come out in the first place. Fanboys have been wanting a Tron attraction since the original came out in the 80s and were teased with the speed tunnel. And as for Pirates having connective ties to the movie, who cares? How is that any better/worse than having connective ties to a 50 year-old theme park ride made in the 60s featuring the vocal talent of Tony the Tiger and Boris Badenov?

Short of Jack Sparrow (which, by now, has overcome 'flavor of the day' character status), it's not like Disney is throwing in a bunch of characters who we closely associate with actors from a certain era. You don't see Jeff Bridges anywhere in Tron nor are audiences going to look at Davy Jones and say, "Oh hey, that's Bill Nighy... what's he doing here!?" It's not like they're sticking Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in scenes. The only difference is that the attraction now features some characters that already resonate with audiences and have actual depth/backstories to them.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates having Jack Sparrow in the originals. It's definitely awkward to shoehorn the character into a story where he didn't exist previously, but it's another to build him into an attraction from the beginning in a way that makes sense.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Indiana Jones>Tron, not only in quality, but also relevance.
But the tron ride isn't based around any characters you are simply going to the grid on arguably the most iconic aspect of tron the light cycles. Is tron as iconic as Indiana jones? nope and I never said it was. But in the same vein of how Indiana jones has survived despite being based on a live action property tron will do the same. Same for the pirates attraction.

Flippin'Flounder

But the tron ride isn't based around any characters you are simply going to the grid on arguably the most iconic aspect of tron the light cycles. Is tron as iconic as Indiana jones? nope and I never said it was. But in the same vein of how Indiana jones has survived despite being based on a live action property tron will do the same. Same for the pirates attraction.
Oh, I have no issue with it. The video looks great. But most people don't know what Tron is, and that will only get worse with time, whereas Indy is still well known, even without any new films. Of course, that doesn't mean anything either, just look at Splash Mountain. I think it would probably do better as "Lightcycle Power Run" though. People who know what Tron is will know what it was based on, and people who don't will assume it has no IP attached to it, just like Splash Mountain.

dweezil78

Indiana Jones>Tron, not only in quality, but also relevance.

Who cares how relevant something is if it translates into a great attraction? Twilight Zone was off the air for 30 years (Rod Serling dead for 20) when it was used for ToT and people are screaming bloody murder over the idea of it getting the boot in exchange for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Flippin'Flounder

Who cares how relevant something is if it translates into a great attraction? Twilight Zone was off the air for 30 years (Rod Serling dead for 20) when it was used for ToT and people are screaming bloody murder over the idea of it getting the boot in exchange for Guardians of the Galaxy.
^See post above yours

Sped2424

Oh, I have no issue with it. The video looks great. But most people don't know what Tron is, and that will only get worse with time, whereas Indy is still well known, even without any new films. Of course, that doesn't mean anything either, just look at Splash Mountain. I think it would probably do better as "Lightcycle Power Run" though. People who know what Tron is will know what it was based on, and people who don't will assume it has no IP attached to it, just like Splash Mountain.
I think you are underestimating Tron's popularity at least in terms of it's identifiability when it comes to it's aesthetic. Again they can leave the tron name in there because if the attraction as you say can hold it's merits without people knowing the ip why would the name tron cause any issue?

Flippin'Flounder

I think you are underestimating Tron's popularity at least in terms of it's identifiability when it comes to it's aesthetic. Again they can leave the tron name in there because if the attraction as you say can hold it's merits without people knowing the ip why would the name tron cause any issue?
Its popularity is fine, in 40+ year old Westerners. Definitely not the majority of the people going to this park.

FigmentForver96

If people who do not who Tron is will still ride it then why change the name. Disney fans and movie fans will know it and consider it a cool refrence to a old film.

dweezil78

Because Tron 3 was coming out...

Even with Tron 3 not dying until 2015, execs within the company have known since December 2010 that the franchise would not be the juggernaut they had hoped for. They could have gotten cold feet and changed course on the Tron coaster many many times, well before ground was broken, but ultimately chose not to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom