The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

RandySavage

I'm avoiding the videos - but needless to say people are impressed with PoTC?

Does it look like it could compete as a top 5 dark ride?

I think you're smart to avoid. It is looking like it could be a new number 1, but giving it that title will require a number of in person rides to see how well/seemless/convincing the set-to-screen integration is.

You'll be one of the first WDWMagic forumers to be able to tell us...

Bairstow

Once again, we dumb American rubes get screwed. Shanghai gets a better Pan ride, and the Pirates ride looks like a big step up too. Meanwhile we Yanks get a Disco Yeti and a Little Mermaid ride with plastic fish glued to the walls.

Why does Iger's Disney company have such contempt for its American customers? I realize that Iger's an old toot, but he really ought to know that Youtube/Instagram exists, and thus EVERYONE knows how badly the American Disney parks are shortchanged. I thought the reason Tokyo Disneyland was so amazing was because of the OLC. But that's not the reason this Shanghai park looks so amazing so far. I don't get it. Why can' WE have nice things?

Because the multi-billion dollar Avatar and Star Wars expansions aren't done yet?

Shiny new rides in brand new parks are going to be shiny and new. This shouldn't surprise or offend you. If Shanghai was built with attractions that didn't improve on their antecedents, technologically and artistically, THAT would be cause for outrage.

On that note, if we're going to hyperbolically fly off the handle at cherry-picked examples, can I take this opportunity to say that Iger must have a lot of contempt for his Chinese customers and think they're all rubes for installing an inferior version of Winnie the Pooh to the one in Tokyo? Why can't THEY have nice things?

dweezil78

I would definitely give them credit for originality, but so far, I'm mixed on it and feel they went a little too far in certain areas. I know some of its cultural adaptation, but other things seem like Disney product pushing. Personally, I think DLP did the culturally adapted MK best. It wasn't made up of exact clones like TDL nor the cheapest options possible like HKDL. DLP made lots of big changes, but never to the point where it lost the core design principles of the MK style park like SDL does in many areas.

You're comparing two parks that are nearly 25 years apart in age in two very different parts of the world. How different were you 25 years ago?

mickEblu

WOW. That under water Scene on Pirates is insane! I imagine this is what people felt like when they saw the original version for the first time in the 60s.

I get that TLM isn't an E ticket but I wish they would have went more of this route to make you feel like you really are under water.

dweezil78

WOW. That under water Scene on Pirates is insane! I imagine this is what people felt like when they saw the original version for the first time in the 60s.

I get that TLM isn't an E ticket but I wish they would have went more of this route to make you feel like you really are under water.

Did you ever see the ride-thru of the version that was originally was proposed (they included it on the first DVD)? Was going to have a much better effect than what we got! I just watched it for the first time in many many years... and I'll be damned, there are some striking similarities to this new PotC ride, eh (especially around the 2:45 mark!!!)???

mickEblu

Did you ever see the ride-thru of the version that was originally was proposed (they included it on the first DVD)? Was going to have a much better effect than what we got! I just watched it for the first time in many many years... and I'll be damned, there are some striking similarities to this new PotC ride, eh (especially around the 2:45 mark!!!)???

I was thinking the same exact thing! I saw it last year sometime. It's one of the bonus features on the diamond edition blu Ray. I think they definitely borrowed from the old TLM attraction concepts. That was Tony Baxters version right?

Last edited:

BrianLo

I think you're smart to avoid. It is looking like it could be a new number 1, but giving it that title will require a number of in person rides to see how well/seemless/convincing the set-to-screen integration is.

You'll be one of the first WDWMagic forumers to be able to tell us...

I think I've decided it will be the first thing I go for (Soarin' Fastpass along the way). The masses I'm sure will scurry to Fantasyland or Tron.

Wish I had a chance to see Ratatouille, still holding out on watching a video, at this point its stubborn determination.

mickEblu

After seeing Pans ride thru I would love to see a modern take on the classic Alice in Wonderland but I also think it's kind of cool that Disneyland has the only one in the world.

Mike S

Because the multi-billion dollar Avatar and Star Wars expansions aren't done yet?

Shiny new rides in brand new parks are going to be shiny and new. This shouldn't surprise or offend you. If Shanghai was built with attractions that didn't improve on their antecedents, technologically and artistically, THAT would be cause for outrage.

On that note, if we're going to hyperbolically fly off the handle at cherry-picked examples, can I take this opportunity to say that Iger must have a lot of contempt for his Chinese customers and think they're all rubes for installing an inferior version of Winnie the Pooh to the one in Tokyo? Why can't THEY have nice things?
When there's an 11 year wait between E Ticket attractions resort wide it's understandable to look at what happens in the rest of the world with jealousy.

BrianLo

This would be absolutely perfect for Hollywood Studios :jawdrop: How long does their exclusivity last? @BrianLo?

I've never heard anything about exclusivity in terms of SDL. That seems to be more of an HKDL thing. If there is exclusivity it would be five years.

That said, SDMT was scooped and Soarin' is opening day and date with Shanghai so I kind of assume anything is fair game.

Now I haven't obviously seen it - but I'm surprised everyone feels it is different enough from the original to co-exist at the same resort?

My honest assumption is that it will forever be an SDL exclusive mostly because everywhere already had PoTC and HKDL is hyper sensitive about staying different from SDL.

SDL is also a very interesting 'snap shot' of 2008-2010 when it was designed. I really don't think they would use the same IP again. PoTC is no longer Disney's sole live action juggernaut and Tron is back to being a footnote in history. Like Avatar that's kind of nice for SDL as the drive isn't there to steal their rides and it will likely stay a fairly unique park as a result.

Donaldfan1934

SDL is also a very interesting 'snap shot' of 2008-2010 when it was designed. I really don't think they would use the same IP again. PoTC is no longer Disney's sole live action juggernaut and Tron is back to being a footnote in history. Like Avatar that's kind of nice for SDL as the drive isn't there to steal their rides and it will likely stay a fairly unique park as a result.
There is whole lot of awkwardness that comes from this project being a snapshot of when its basic plan was finalized about 5 or 6 years ago. The POTC film series is wrapping up next summer and Tron 3 was cancelled last year. But hey, if it was designed now, you could be sure that Star Wars land, Frozen land, and Marvel lamd would be replacing Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Adventureland respectively. This is why I think DLP was adapted best because despite being built 25 years ago, it wasn't made up of flavor of the moment IP like this was.

BubbaQuest

... this one shows the big reveal into the battle sequence. Here we can see how the wall sized screens are used and then you blend into the physical set running inbetween the two ships

These scenes look amazing. I'm assuming the boats must be on some type of track/movement system to keep everything coordinated instead of the standard water conduit?

Mike S

I've never heard anything about exclusivity in terms of SDL. That seems to be more of an HKDL thing. If there is exclusivity it would be five years.

That said, SDMT was scooped and Soarin' is opening day and date with Shanghai so I kind of assume anything is fair game.

Now I haven't obviously seen it - but I'm surprised everyone feels it is different enough from the original to co-exist at the same resort?

My honest assumption is that it will forever be an SDL exclusive mostly because everywhere already had PoTC and HKDL is hyper sensitive about staying different from SDL.

If the exclusivity lasts five years that would put us at 2021 ;) If the MK ride removed all movie references and pretty much brought back an updated version of the original classic I fully believe both rides could coexist, just not in the same park. This would also put us in line with DHS's phase 3 which I would love as a new Adventureland type area for DHS with this ride and Indiana Jones thus avoiding another single IP land with wiggle room for future expansion.
At least WDW is on year 10 of 11... Poor Tokyo is only at year 7 with 4 more to go.

They truly are sister resorts!
Only in that one respect. Otherwise they're like on separate planets. Consistently fresh entertainment, amazing maintenance, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom