The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

A1st

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 12.00.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 12.00.12 AM.png

No Name

First of all I just want to say thank you. Thank you to you for making this thread and finding all of these pics from the furthest corners of the internet. Thank you to those who took these pictures. Thank you to Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group for building a quality park and realizing that going cheap would not work. And thank you to every other person involved.

I am really liking how this is turning out. The ride videos and pictures look wonderful. I have too many thoughts to really put into words, at least not right now, but it looks beyond excellent. I'll have more specific thoughts tomorrow.

I'm glad @WDW1974 's claims about the condition of the park turned out to be so, so wrong. :rolleyes::D

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't think their Pan looks better from what I can see from this video...

The first half of the show looks like the upgraded pan state side.. minus the obnoxious shooting stars.. and then the second half of the ride is a W T H is that... the pirate boat and everything is is better than that excessive jungle ride that ends with the pan version of "ariel under the sea send off"...

Donaldfan1934

Yup. At least Eisner gave us Everest even in his bad years.

Add in Star Wars just because of the insane money they'll make from it and his knee jerk reaction to get Avatar.
I was thinking of Star Wars at DHS. But if you want to count Iger's greedy, destructive rampage on Disneyland, then I guess that technicaly counts too as much as we don't want it to.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I don't think their Pan looks better from what I can see from this video...

The first half of the show looks like the upgraded pan state side.. minus the obnoxious shooting stars.. and then the second half of the ride is a W T H is that... the pirate boat and everything is is better than that excessive jungle ride that ends with the pan version of "ariel under the sea send off"...
Let's wait and see until better quality videos surface in the coming days/weeks. Personally, I do like to have complete opinions on things unless I see them in person, but an HD video will give us a much greater sense of what this ride would be like in person.

BrianLo

Strange for a park that is so dedicated to having unique versions of every attraction for this to be a downright clone in almost very way is a tad disappointing. But that's based off the bar they set themselves lol so in that regard it's not horrible just meh.

I've been saying that for the better part of a year. I think that's the reason they didn't even mention this rides existence last summer during their media blow out. They literally mentioned every other ride, restaurant etc. and left it out.

My bet is that it was sort of tacked on later in the blue sky process and since it is the same clone from HKDL they felt it best to pretend it didn't exist.

BrianLo

It's probably too early to tell...but any word on what they will have for fastpass over there? Paper/legacy fastpasses? Or probably what seems more likely, the digital fastpass that DL is getting? (app-based, one-ride-at-a-time reservations)

Yes, a bit of an interesting hybrid. They are still paper based, but you go to one of three centralized locations and can then pick a FP for an attraction at that specific land. Fantasyland (SDMT, Pooh, Pan), Tomorrowland (Tron, Buzz), Adventureland (Soarin', Roarin').

Of interesting note, unlike the NA parks (well WDW in particular) there is some thought put in that attraction that don't need FP don't have them. Pirates and Voyage of the Crystal Grotto don't offer FP but I just sort of assume both boat based rides have huge capacity.

It's a good mix of attractions that in my mind I'll actually use FP for. I'll probably focus on a Tron, SDMT and Soarin' in terms of guessing at capacity. Buzz probably doesn't actually need FP.

Donaldfan1934

I've been saying that for the better part of a year. I think that's the reason they didn't even mention this rides existence last summer during their media blow out. They literally mentioned every other ride, restaurant etc. and left it out.

My bet is that it was sort of tacked on later in the blue sky process and since it is the same clone from HKDL they felt it best to pretend it didn't exist.
Still no excuse for them considering how Disney has had a penchant for updating the classic dark rides recently, particularly PPF. Its amazing how they thought they'd get away with putting in the exact same ride from 1999 (with HKDL's incredibly small handful of insignificant changes) when the most radically updated version of PPF is right around the corner.

BrianLo

Still no excuse for them considering how Disney has had a penchant for updating the classic dark rides recently, particularly PPF. Its amazing how they thought they'd get away with putting in the exact same ride from 1999 (with HKDL's incredibly small handful of insignificant changes) when the most radically updated version of PPF is right around the corner.

Oh I totally, totally agree!

However - I'm giving them a lot of slack since pretty much across the board the park is unique. They did a much better job of doing that than any other castle park, ESPECIALLY their other most recent...

brb1006

First of all I just want to say thank you. Thank you to you for making this thread and finding all of these pics from the furthest corners of the internet. Thank you to those who took these pictures. Thank you to Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group for building a quality park and realizing that going cheap would not work. And thank you to every other person involved.

I am really liking how this is turning out. The ride videos and pictures look wonderful. I have too many thoughts to really put into words, at least not right now, but it looks beyond excellent. I'll have more specific thoughts tomorrow.

I'm glad @WDW1974 's claims about the condition of the park turned out to be so, so wrong. :rolleyes::D
Can't wait to see more videos of the attractions will better quality. I'm still amazed by Pirates attractions and we haven't even seen the full attraction for it.

brb1006

I'm avoiding the videos - but needless to say people are impressed with PoTC?

Does it look like it could compete as a top 5 dark ride?
It's a bit early due to some of the videos being difficult to notice. But let's just say it will blown you away with the amount of effort they put into this attraction.

ThemeParkTraveller

I'm avoiding the videos - but needless to say people are impressed with PoTC?

Does it look like it could compete as a top 5 dark ride?

From what I have seen so far in the videos, it will definitely rank among the top. Just like Mystic Manor took the Haunted Mansion formula to a whole new level, this looks like it is a worthy 21st century successor to PotC.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Let's wait and see until better quality videos surface in the coming days/weeks. Personally, I do like to have complete opinions on things unless I see them in person, but an HD video will give us a much greater sense of what this ride would be like in person.
I mention it because many in other threads were tripping over themselves oner it... I don't see it

Donaldfan1934

Oh I totally, totally agree!

However - I'm giving them a lot of slack since pretty much across the board the park is unique. They did a much better job of doing that than any other castle park, ESPECIALLY their other most recent...
I would definitely give them credit for originality, but so far, I'm mixed on it and feel they went a little too far in certain areas. I know some of its cultural adaptation, but other things seem like Disney product pushing. Personally, I think DLP did the culturally adapted MK best. It wasn't made up of exact clones like TDL nor the cheapest options possible like HKDL. DLP made lots of big changes, but never to the point where it lost the core design principles of the MK style park like SDL does in many areas.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom