The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

Wendy Pleakley

That Tron coaster looks like it would be amazing regardless of whether you've seen the movie or never heard of it. It works as a futuristic theme, tie-in or not, not unlike Space Mountain.

Some of the best, and most popular rides don't have a well known tie-in. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, have very many people watched the movie it's based on lately? Same for Splash Mountain.

Bairstow

But the tron ride isn't based around any characters you are simply going to the grid on arguably the most iconic aspect of tron the light cycles. Is tron as iconic as Indiana jones? nope and I never said it was. But in the same vein of how Indiana jones has survived despite being based on a live action property tron will do the same. Same for the pirates attraction.

I'm not a fan of TRON and I love Indiana Jones, BUT!

In general...

Attractions based on recognisable places and concepts > attractions based on characters.

Sped2424

I'm not a fan of TRON and I love Indiana Jones, BUT!

In general...

Attractions based on recognisable places and concepts > attractions based on characters.
But that's not the argument here though? I agree with your statement as well. Just saying tron will be fine and in 20 years won't be out of "date" or "Irrelevant" to park goers. If anything we might have a copy of this coaster stateside by then.

Bairstow

But that's not the argument here though? I agree with your statement as well. Just saying tron will be fine and in 20 years won't be out of "date" or "Irrelevant" to park goers. If anything we might have a copy of this coaster stateside by then.
And even if TRON was out of date, would it matter?

Attractions based on fictional places and concepts (Swiss Family Treehouse, Original Star Tours, 20,000 Leagues, etc.) tend to stay fresher longer than attractions based on characters.

Sir_Cliff

If people who do not who Tron is will still ride it then why change the name. Disney fans and movie fans will know it and consider it a cool refrence to a old film.
Yeah, I don't get any of the angst about the Tron name. Do people think the Tron name is going to put anyone off?

If anything, SDL has been smarter in its integration of IPs than the US parks. Treasure Cove, for example, is far less dependent on the PotC franchise and has greater potential to change things out over time than areas like Carsland, Pandora, and the Star Wars lands.

dweezil78

Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Sunken Treasure POV (First 6 minutes) [Instagram Compilation]

Is Youtube banned in China/Shanghai or something? It's kind of crazy that there's so little in the way of long(er) form HD video of the park out there. You'd expect the internet to be flooded with beautiful, full HD ride thrus by now, no? So much of what's out there right now is low-res, short form Instagram vids...

Flippin'Flounder

If people who do not who Tron is will still ride it then why change the name. Disney fans and movie fans will know it and consider it a cool refrence to a old film.
Probably not. It would just confuse people more than anything. Remember, this is China, very few people have probably heard of it. I just think it's an odd choice, not necessarily a bad thing (as it looks really cool!)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
TRON is a very simple concept, so it's not like you need to have a major background of the story to be enjoyable...you get digitized into a computer/video game world....something most people can relate to. I don't see the problem with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom