The Resort TV channel is going away

Vegas Disney Fan

I remember spending 15 minutes looking for the resort channel to have on as background noise and getting frustrated not being able to find it. I finally settled for the default Coronado music loop they have on the menu.

I did the same on our first trip back after they removed Stacy, she never told us anything we didn’t know but she was our go to Disney background noise. Stacy yapping away as we got ready was just how we started our WDW day, then it became the info channel music, now I guess we’ll find something else, unfortunately it’ll probably involve our personal phones, it seems like everything at Disney revolves around our phones now.

pdude81

Valid points. I’m mostly upset they are removing it from rooms manually one at a time while it’s still around. At least let us use it while it’s still operating.
I agree and think this is just another bit of familiarity that is being pulled too soon. I welcome the addition of on-demand offerings but taking away the closed circuit marketing channels and the rotating park hours on channel 1 is kind of dumb IMO. It's been hit or miss with the Wild about Safety channel as well the last few years. Sometimes the channel won't even load and you're stuck with a couple random videos on-demand.

And for all the on-demand offerings they have on the ineractive screen, you can't just watch disney plus on the TV without using your phone to screencast or interact with the television.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
I agree and think this is just another bit of familiarity that is being pulled too soon. I welcome the addition of on-demand offerings but taking away the closed circuit marketing channels and the rotating park hours on channel 1 is kind of dumb IMO.
This is really what I'm getting at. I know this community can be super nit picky and ridiculous at times. But I do think the resort channel is a staple of Disney resort stays that should have been given more careful consideration. I tweeted a clip of it yesterday and got a ridiculous amount of interaction on it. People really love that channel. There are certain things on property that are important to the experience and they are often really simple and inexpensive.

mightynine

I could understand a more interactive option being more appealing, but that music was such a default put on in morning getting ready and forget about it for me, it would be a shame to lose that.

Last visit though, it sure looks like the software powering the resort and hotel info channels was having a rough time compared to years past.

I also remember a few years ago a Disney Parks Music channel on the lineup that I think was a co-promoting the playlists on Apple Music, but I don't think I saw it there last time. If you defaulted the TVs to that channel - or had one on-demand - that would probably go a long way to keeping that little bit of...well, magic.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I've spoken to about a dozen guests who stayed a Coronado, Beach Club, Riviera, Animal Kingdom Lodge and the new Grand Floridian DVC rooms in the last 3 months. In their experience, the channel did not appear in the lineup.​
As you can see in this demo, this guest couldn't find it either:

FWIW, when I was there two weeks ago at YC, my TV had both the interactive screen and Resort TV.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
FWIW, when I was there two weeks ago at YC, my TV had both the interactive screen and Resort TV.
Thanks, Mike. Was it on Channel 1 or a bit deeper in the list? Maybe guests are just having trouble finding it? I have a question out to someone in that department to find out if it will truly go away forever.

Jrb1979

This thread is hilarious seeing arguments over something on a TV screen in your room. When we are on vacation the only time we use the TV is before bed or in the morning getting ready.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Thanks, Mike. Was it on Channel 1 or a bit deeper in the list? Maybe guests are just having trouble finding it? I have a question out to someone in that department to find out if it will truly go away forever.
I honestly don't remember, unfortunately, just know that we had it on most mornings while we were getting ready to leave (and scrambling to book our first LL).

Tha Realest

I think it was Chuck Klosterman that wrote that a person’s favorite music is from their high school/college days.

I am guilty of this, but I feel like many Disney fans also want the Disney experience as it existed in their preteen/first visit years to be forever encased in amber.

Communicora

Premium Member
This is really what I'm getting at. I know this community can be super nit picky and ridiculous at times. But I do think the resort channel is a staple of Disney resort stays that should have been given more careful consideration. I tweeted a clip of it yesterday and got a ridiculous amount of interaction on it. People really love that channel. There are certain things on property that are important to the experience and they are often really simple and inexpensive.
Exactly this. There is no reason why the interactive features and the single Resort TV channel can't coexist.

correcaminos

I do think this is one that might be more polarizing than you think. I am glad it is gone. The auto loud levels of music were awful and I turned immediately whenever I turned the TV on. Been going a long time and I thought the channel was an annoying addition in the first place. The new set up was preferred by us all. If I want info, I go to the app. Sorry.

Prince-1

I would say that besides the people on this site most people will care less about the change and most will prefer the new offering. And I think that the experience you refer to may be more meaningful to you then most other people.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
I do think this is one that might be more polarizing than you think. I am glad it is gone. The auto loud levels of music were awful and I turned immediately whenever I turned the TV on. Been going a long time and I thought the channel was an annoying addition in the first place. The new set up was preferred by us all. If I want info, I go to the app. Sorry.
No reason to apologize, valid points.

pdude81

Forcing the TV volume that loud on power up was certainly an issue, but I consider that separate from the channel itself

Prince-1

37F8C585-5332-4CF9-AB11-1BFAFD265AD2.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom