The Resort TV channel is going away

JoeCamel

In yet another perplexing, hair pulling move, WDW appears to be doing away with the Resort TV channel in favor of the new interactive systems. It's starting to feel like every small detail I love about this place is evaporating.

Old:

View attachment 652350

New:

View attachment 652354
Its like those making these decisions have never done a family vacation at Disney World like the tourists do....

castlecake2.0

In yet another perplexing move, WDW appears to be doing away with the Resort TV channel in favor of the new interactive systems. It's starting to feel like every small detail I love about this place is evaporating.

Old:

View attachment 652350

New:

View attachment 652354
Are we sure 100% that the resort channel is gone? I stayed at Coronado last month and I’m pretty sure it was still there when you clicked the “live TV” option. I always play the music when I’m getting ready for the day and if it was removed Im sure I’d remember.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It doesn't do the same thing nor does it play the same music. It has no utility unless you are directly interacting with it. And needless to say, it is yet another decision that slightly deteriorates the experience.

The people green-lighting stupid things like this need to have their jobs deteriorated. Seriously.

Thank goodness I have the 2000’s resort TV loop tracks on my computer to listen to anytime.

castlecake2.0

From what I understand it's hit or miss but there is a slow, but ongoing effort, to phase it out.
Maybe people just assume it’s gone before checking? It can’t really be hit or miss, all resorts have the same cable service and channel line up. Can’t see them removing this until all the resorts have smart TV.

castlecake2.0

The people green-lighting stupid things like this need to have their jobs deteriorated. Seriously.

Thank goodness I have the 2000’s resort TV loop tracks on my computer to listen to anytime.
They both exist, the interactive version on the main screen when you turn on the TV (which also features resort specific music) and the original version when you switch to live TV.

Vegas Disney Fan

What‘s nice about the old version is you didn’t need to interact with it. You could be doing other stuff in the room (making coffee or whatever) and glancing thru the screen changes while listening to the music.
We always have this channel on in the morning while getting ready, it’s a small detail but part of our WDW vacation.

If I want specific WDW info I’ll grab my iPhone and pull up the app or website where there’s infinitely more information and it’s easier to interact with than a tv app.

Happy to hear it’s still there, the little things like the Magical Express video and Stacy never “made“ the vacation but they were part of the little touches that set Disney apart and they are slowly disappearing.

JoeCamel

What‘s nice about the old version is you didn’t need to interact with it. You could be doing other stuff in the room (making coffee or whatever) and glancing thru the screen changes while listening to the music.

We always have this channel on in the morning while getting ready, it’s a small detail but part of our WDW vacation.

If I want specific WDW info I’ll grab my iPhone and pull up the app or website where there’s infinitely more information and it’s easier to interact with than a tv app.

Happy to hear it’s still there, the little things like the Magical Express video and Stacy never “made“ the vacation but they were part of the little touches that set Disney apart and they are slowly disappearing.
People like BGM/BGN (background noise). In the parks or just around the home people have whole house sound systems or leave a TV on while they do things even have earbuds in with tunes, nature abhors a vacuum or silence I guess.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
Then just interact with it..?
You're not really getting it. You seem to be a long time Disney guest/fan/enthusiast. You of all people should know that when it comes to Disney, the details are everything. This is yet another small but significant detail stripped away. The feeling of walking into your fresh room with this playing is now gone. I don't want to have to play with a TV. I want to have it on while I get ready, unpack, etc. I couldn't care less about interacting with my TV.

It's honestly just more silly, unnecessary and complex nonsense replacing a simpler solution that works perfectly; which can be said about basically everything they've done over the last 2 years.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
That version is still there when you switch the TV to live channels
I've spoken to about a dozen guests who stayed a Coronado, Beach Club, Riviera, Animal Kingdom Lodge and the new Grand Floridian DVC rooms in the last 3 months. In their experience, the channel did not appear in the lineup.​
As you can see in this demo, this guest couldn't find it either:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They both exist, the interactive version on the main screen when you turn on the TV (which also features resort specific music) and the original version when you switch to live TV.
Until the original version is phased out. They aren’t going to keep infrastructure for both.

“Declining by degrees” has never been more appropriate. It also describes my monetary spending directed at the parks since my level of disgust for the Bob & Josh era (and really both Bob’s, but Bob 2.0 in particular since he was installed as P&R head in 2015) is astoundingly high. They don’t deserve your vacation dollars when their attitude is “good enough” combined with “How can we extract more money from the consumers/walking ATM’s?”.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
Until the original version is phased out. They aren’t going to keep infrastructure for both.

“Declining by degrees” has never been more appropriate. It also describes my monetary spending directed at the parks since my level of disgust for the Bob & Josh era (and really both Bob’s, but Bob 2.0 in particular since he was installed as P&R head in 2015) is astoundingly high. They don’t deserve your vacation dollars when their attitude is “good enough” combined with “How can we extract more money from the consumers/walking ATM’s?”.
It's going to take some time for them to get around to replacing all the TVs on property. In fact most of the resorts do not have this system. I'd say probably at least 3 years maybe 5 for it to finally happen. Could be even longer at some of the DVC resorts. But it's one small little thing that doesn't cost them really anything at all and pretty much runs itself off of the information system database. Just keep it, it's perfectly suitable for today's standards.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
Phase it out! For every person who’s upset about the change, there’d be a thousand more people who’d have to wade through a channel they find useless and redundant. This kind of clutter eats away at a business if it becomes an acceptable standard. Everyone will move on and get used to the more modern thing.
"Wade" lol. It's channel 1 and it's the default channel when you turn the TV on. It's literally less button clicks and easier to access than the new system.

Have to be honest and say this seems more like a change than a downgrade to me.
If they played the normal resort music, agreed. They give you the generic music that is supposedly tied to your resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom