The Resort TV channel is going away

bugsbunny

There's nothing wrong with the new system, I welcome technology upgrades like this. But there's no reason they couldn't just keep the channel around in the TV lineup.
It's a LOT cheaper to whip up some code to put on a screen than it is to pay actors, camera crew, stage hands, blocking out attractions, etc. It's also desirable to update information in real time or even over set time period. Having to spend money on a skit about a ride could potentially have a short shelf life or even become irrelevant due to season change no doubt plays into their decision. Technology has been replacing human jobs for a long long time and this is just another example of opportunity and also the ability to steer you to their custom products that can data mine what you are clicking, how long you stay on what page, etc. Just think of it as another form Disney Magic! ;)

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
I don’t know why we’re talking like it has to be one or the other. They can and should co-exist.

Disney has several resort channels in their closed loop that will remain. This is one of a dozen. There’s no reason it couldn’t continue to air alongside the interactive feature (as all the other channels will).

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
The information is only one piece, which by the way is being downgraded here. The other pieces are the aesthetics (graphics) used and music. Both were downgraded. The new feature is poorly designed, visually speaking. It’s a cheap cookie cut replacement that they just slapped screenshots from the regular resort TV into.
It's literally a nothing more than a fancy PowerPoint. I can do the same thing on my tv in my living room.

brettf22

Premium Member
To me, this says more about the deficiencies of MDE than anything. I guess they realized they needed an “MDE-Lite” for folks who just want basic info.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
And the interactive feature is? I could literally build that interactive feature in PowerPoint in 2002.
You're creating mountains out of mole hills. These info channels are in every hotel world wide. You're acting like WDW was the only place that ever had these and that they were essential to one's trip. On top of that, these "interactive" features have been around since the late 2010's.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
You're creating mountains out of mole hills. These info channels are in every hotel world wide. You're acting like WDW was the only place that ever had these and that they were essential to one's trip. On top of that, these "interactive" features have been around since the late 2010's.
They’ve also been around at Disney for 3 years. The interactive TVs aren’t the issue. If the resort channel were heavily dated, sure. But it’s not. It still matches their current style guide. There’s no reason to get rid of it. It will be around for at least another 5 years. Why pull it from the loop on new TVs before then?

Dayma

Have zero issue with interactive Disney channels. Integrations with all your devices during your visit is really a good idea albeit nothing groundbreaking.

That said. I do miss Stacey :)

castlecake2.0

I've spoken to about a dozen guests who stayed a Coronado, Beach Club, Riviera, Animal Kingdom Lodge and the new Grand Floridian DVC rooms in the last 3 months. In their experience, the channel did not appear in the lineup.​
As you can see in this demo, this guest couldn't find it either:

Weird, I stand corrected. While most would consider this an upgrade as it features resort specific music and allows you to access info on demand instead of waiting through a loop, I will definitely miss having the old channel playing in the background.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
Weird, I stand corrected. While most would consider this an upgrade as it features resort specific music and allows you to access info on demand instead of waiting through a loop, I will definitely miss having the old channel playing in the background.
I think I’m confusing people as though I’m suggesting it has to be one or the other. I’m simply saying that the new interactive TVs (which are much more than just parks info) are a welcome upgrade but not a replacement for the resort channel. They should simply keep both. There is little to no overhead in doing so.

castlecake2.0

I think I’m confusing people as though I’m suggesting it has to be one or the other. I’m simply saying that the new interactive TVs (which are much more than just parks info) are a welcome upgrade but not a replacement for the resort channel. They should simply keep both. There is little to no overhead in doing so.
They did replace the radioDisney channel with a channel that just plays music videos now, so there is precedent. Email or twitter Guest Relations and explain your disappointment, maybe if enough people say something they’ll do something about it. So many people need background noise to sleep or relax, having a channel or two with instrumentals and white noise could be a good option.

dreday3

They did replace the radioDisney channel with a channel that just plays music videos now, so there is precedent. Email or twitter Guest Relations and explain your disappointment, maybe if enough people say something they’ll do something about it. So many people need background noise to sleep or relax, having a channel or two with instrumentals and white noise could be a good option.

The main screen on the "new" interactive tvs is instrumental. It's just not Disney music, but music themed to the resort. At GDT we had a lot of guitar instrumentals and it was very nice.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The information is only one piece, which by the way is being downgraded here. The other pieces are the aesthetics (graphics) used and music. Both were downgraded. The new feature is poorly designed, visually speaking. It’s a cheap cookie cut replacement that they just slapped screenshots from the regular resort TV into.

How dare you call it “a cheap cookie cut replacement” - They spent tens of dollars on a college intern to code that!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The main screen on the "new" interactive tvs is instrumental. It's just not Disney music, but music themed to the resort. At GDT we had a lot of guitar instrumentals and it was very nice.
Wait, so the new screen does play music, it isn't just straight IP, and in some cases it is enhanced to align with the resort? So what is the complaint again?

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Funny these are probably the same people who complain about the Disney music in Harmonious. But when they get rid of it at the hotels in favor of more on theme music, it's sacrilege. Interesting. 🤔

In November of 2020 our TV at Coronado had the interactive menu and was missing the resort channel. So this has been getting phased in for at least a year and half now. We also received a survey asking what we thought of the interactive TV.

I remember spending 15 minutes looking for the resort channel to have on as background noise and getting frustrated not being able to find it. I finally settled for the default Coronado music loop they have on the menu.

dreday3

Wait, so the new screen does play music, it isn't just straight IP, and in some cases it is enhanced to align with the resort? So what is the complaint again?

It actually was kind of jarring at first and I missed hearing parks music, but then we started to enjoy it.

I read that Yacht music was kind of like riverboat music? Not sure what that's about but I do know I can watch the Friendship Boats float by on the screen, so it's all good!

Sir_Cliff

I don’t know why we’re talking like it has to be one or the other. They can and should co-exist.

Disney has several resort channels in their closed loop that will remain. This is one of a dozen. There’s no reason it couldn’t continue to air alongside the interactive feature (as all the other channels will).
I get that you and others will miss it, but does anything last forever?

They've come up with a new system for resort tvs and replaced the old one. I guess they could have kept both, but I also understand why they would just implement a new system rather than keeping the old one going and then just keeping each prior version soldiering on into eternity on its own channel whenever they update things at the resorts.

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
I get that you and others will miss it, but does anything last forever?

They've come up with a new system for resort tvs and replaced the old one. I guess they could have kept both, but I also understand why they would just implement a new system rather than keeping the old one going and then just keeping each prior version soldiering on into eternity on its own channel whenever they update things at the resorts.
Valid points. I’m mostly upset they are removing it from rooms manually one at a time while it’s still around. At least let us use it while it’s still operating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom