The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

Not to be that guy BUT....sometimes age does matter. At 18, I knew nothing. Now, at my age, I don't know anything but I am aware of what I don't know. It's a Zen-like existence.

And I get that. My father is quickly approaching 70 and, at 17, I know nothing at all-- especially in comparison to what he knows. But that doesn't mean that he knows, for example, as much as I know about Harry Potter. His knowledge of the series extends to making fun of me for my immersion in the canon and community.

So his broader worldliness and knowledge really does not mean he can cancel out my opinion on something I live and breathe, you get me?

And so it's always at least a little humorous seeing age being brought up in conversations where it has nothing to do with anything. That's all.

real mad hatter

Well Daniel Radcliffe is a friend of mine( sort of ) met him at a premier of Harry Potter years ago ( there goes my age again ) we had a good chat and laugh about the success of Mrs Rowling's books.I thought this is a one off,how wrong I was.

WED99

FJ is far from my favorite attraction, but you have got to be kidding about the theming. It's not even close. FJ's queue alone is better than all of Star Tours.
When you walk into FJ your supposed to be in Hogwarts, they do this well. When you enter star tours your supposed to be in an airport, they do this well. They both do what they try to do on the same level.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

And I get that. My father is quickly approaching 70 and, at 17, I know nothing at all-- especially in comparison to what he knows. But that doesn't mean that he knows, for example, as much as I know about Harry Potter. His knowledge of the series extends to making fun of me for my immersion in the canon and community.

So his broader worldliness and knowledge really does not mean he can cancel out my opinion on something I live and breathe, you get me?

And so it's always at least a little humorous seeing age being brought up in conversations where it has nothing to do with anything. That's all.

But we weren't discussing continuity or canon of a particular series or franchise, but whether one franchise is better than the other and I argued that we are all entitled to our opinions and it takes all kinds.

Now, I love Harry Potter and I am much older than you. However, as much as I know a lot about the canon and continuity of that world (and many others, for that matter, some of which a lot deeper and nerdier than HP) I will even admit that it is useless knowledge. As is my knowledge of Disney trivia. It enriches my life but doesn't add much to me being a productive member of society.

I would continue to argue that worldliness and having actually knowledge of life is much better than that of any series or franchise. Don't feel bad, you'll get there eventually. I'm not even there yet. It is refreshing hearing a teenager admit they know nothing of life. Far too many think they know how the world works.

captainkidd

When you walk into FJ your supposed to be in Hogwarts, they do this well. When you enter star tours your supposed to be in an airport, they do this well. They both do what they try to do on the same level.

And when you get off Maelstrom you're supposed to be in a Norwiegan Village, and they pull that off well. Doesn't mean it's even remotely on the same level as FJ.

This is a ridiculous discussion. Star Tours is a dated, even in it's new incarnation simulator ride that claims about a 30 minute wait on busy days. FJ is a world class attraction, thought by many theme park insides to be the greatest theme park attraction in the world, with waits that if you're lucky, are only 60 minutes long.

ThemeParks4Life

And when you get off Maelstrom you're supposed to be in a Norwiegan Village, and they pull that off well. Doesn't mean it's even remotely on the same level as FJ.

This is a ridiculous discussion. Star Tours is a dated, even in it's new incarnation simulator ride that claims about a 30 minute wait on busy days. FJ is a world class attraction, thought by many theme park insides to be the greatest theme park attraction in the world, with waits that if you're lucky, are only 60 minutes long.

How is Star Tours dated when it has better projectors than FJ? :rolleyes:

But we weren't discussing continuity or canon of a particular series or franchise, but whether one franchise is better than the other and I argued that we are all entitled to our opinions and it takes all kinds.

Now, I love Harry Potter and I am much older than you. However, as much as I know a lot about the canon and continuity of that world (and many others, for that matter, some of which a lot deeper and nerdier than HP) I will even admit that it is useless knowledge. As is my knowledge of Disney trivia. It enriches my life but doesn't add much to me being a productive member of society.

I would continue to argue that worldliness and having actually knowledge of life is much better than that of any series or franchise. Don't feel bad, you'll get there eventually. I'm not even there yet. It is refreshing hearing a teenager admit they know nothing of life. Far too many think they know how the world works.

I was using the canon thing as an example drawn from my personal experience. What I meant to get across was that the age thing was a complete non sequitor. My initial comment was just passive-aggressive snark, but I stand by the core of it.

But I will go ahead and correct you on the claims of such trivia as useless, the implication that such knowledge is a substitute for "the real stuff." Consider the Harry Potter Alliance, a non-profit started in 2007 on the premise that we can use fiction to change the world for the better. Since its origin, the HPA has used the Potter canon and its derivatives to mobilize youth towards very real activism. Much of this is based on awareness and knowledge, but they've also sent five cargo planes full of life-saving supplies to Haiti in the midst of the tragic earthquake aftermath, donated over 88,000 across the world (many of which went towards building libraries in underprivileged areas), raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in the name of equality, made significant contributions to anti-genocide, anti-child slavery, pro-equality movements, so on, so forth.

All in the name of Harry Potter and all because of the incredible Potter fanbase.

The HPA epitomizes the fan community, which has become a very big and very real phenomenon that accounts for innumerable jobs and lots of money. Books have been published, musicals made, fan cons organized, communities built, and innumerable experiences had because of Potter.

That's the thing about fiction-- it works in parallel to reality and makes crossovers when a person connects with that medium, is moved by it, is changed by it. Fiction is not something to stare blindly at until one starts to drool; it's a tool for not only personal growth, but change on all levels.

So forgive me if I reject the notion that trivia is trivial, because somebody out there saw the idea of Dumbledore's Army in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and they started a non-profit organization, and somebody before them started a band that started a music movement (Wrock is over 800 bands strong and still kicking), and somebody in between was inspired for a fan musical starring a guy who would go on to change lives.

And whenever I do pass that threshhold, whenever I do something that makes me worthy of the "productive member of society" title, it'll have been entirely because of Harry Potter. And it wouldn't be the first time that's happened, nor the thousandth, nor the last.

G00fyDad

I was using the canon thing as an example drawn from my personal experience. What I meant to get across was that the age thing was a complete non sequitor. My initial comment was just passive-aggressive snark, but I stand by the core of it.

But I will go ahead and correct you on the claims of such trivia as useless, the implication that such knowledge is a substitute for "the real stuff." Consider the Harry Potter Alliance, a non-profit started in 2007 on the premise that we can use fiction to change the world for the better. Since its origin, the HPA has used the Potter canon and its derivatives to mobilize youth towards very real activism. Much of this is based on awareness and knowledge, but they've also sent five cargo planes full of life-saving supplies to Haiti in the midst of the tragic earthquake aftermath, donated over 88,000 across the world (many of which went towards building libraries in underprivileged areas), raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in the name of equality, made significant contributions to anti-genocide, anti-child slavery, pro-equality movements, so on, so forth.

All in the name of Harry Potter and all because of the incredible Potter fanbase.

The HPA epitomizes the fan community, which has become a very big and very real phenomenon that accounts for innumerable jobs and lots of money. Books have been published, musicals made, fan cons organized, communities built, and innumerable experiences had because of Potter.

That's the thing about fiction-- it works in parallel to reality and makes crossovers when a person connects with that medium, is moved by it, is changed by it. Fiction is not something to stare blindly at until one starts to drool; it's a tool for not only personal growth, but change on all levels.

So forgive me if I reject the notion that trivia is trivial, because somebody out there saw the idea of Dumbledore's Army in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and they started a non-profit organization, and somebody before them started a band that started a music movement (Wrock is over 800 bands strong and still kicking), and somebody in between was inspired for a fan musical starring a guy who would go on to change lives.

And whenever I do pass that threshhold, whenever I do something that makes me worthy of the "productive member of society" title, it'll have been entirely because of Harry Potter. And it wouldn't be the first time that's happened, nor the thousandth, nor the last.

Speak for yourselves.... I know everything. ;)

GeorgiaPinesRJB

And that is all fine and good, and good art (not just fiction) SHOULD have the power and ability to inspire. But that isn't just exclusive to the Harry Potter fanbase, as others have been inspired by their particular own fandom or art they choose to consume.

Also, I am glad young persons are inspired to act and become part of the world and everything...any which way, but again, this is not exclusive to just the Harry Potter fanbase. However, trivia is just that...trivial. They have the same word base. I do reject that notion; my knowledge of which spells are used for which case in HP or how many X-Wings were used on the first assualt of the Death Star does not help me in my personal or professional life. They are things I choose to know but I don't actually HAVE to know them. That is what I am arguing and I am afraid you missed my point.

The things I HAVE to know are much more important. And please don't take this the wrong way, but (and I say this because I remember what it was like when I was teenager) you and anyone your age may not be able to see the world that way because you don't need to yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom