The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Tim G

Frances May Delay Shuttle Flights

UPDATED: 6:09 pm EDT September 6, 2004

No storm in history has done more damage to the Kennedy Space Center than Hurricane Frances did.

Officials at the Florida facility said the storm tore about 1,000 exterior panels from the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Kennedy Space Center Director James Kennedy said the missing panels have left 40,000 square feet of "open window" on two sides of the building. But he said he's relieved the space center was spared even worse damage.

No space shuttles were inside the damaged building. But Kennedy said he's afraid the damage could set back NASA's plans to resume shuttle launches next spring.

Tim G

ooo

Attachments

• Archiesbar.jpg
    Archiesbar.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Brian.jpg
    Brian.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 259

Tim G

Frances Items Hit eBay

MIAMI, Fla. -- Items from Hurricane Frances are getting attention from online shoppers.

More than 170 items were listed on eBay's Internet auction site Monday, a day after the eye of the Category 2 storm came ashore.

The starting bid for Tupperware filled with wind was a penny.

Photos showed Broward County residents running around with the containers "catching" the wind. Surprisingly, someone had already bid $10 for one of the four containers.

Somebody had bid $6.99 for beach sand a Broward County surfer had collected.

Three Frances survivors had bid 15 cents each to have a woman pray for them.

Industry analysts say most of these items are tongue-in-cheek.

mom2of2

those poor people!! I wouldn't even know where to begin. The pictures where the insulation is covering everything with pink fluff is just a nightmare

Tim G

Yep!

Some damage to the porch, (pool)screen and some small trees...
Will be taken care of by friends...

I'll be home around chrstmas, unless IVAN is going to strike...
In that case I'll be there 2 days ahead of him... I'll leave in time before the orlando's airports will be closing...

Thorphin

Tourism -- back in business

I searched for this article on the forums and couldn't find anything. Hope it's not a dupe!

-Thorphin
<hr>

<h2>Tourism -- back in business</h2><h3>Most of the theme parks, and airports in Orlando and Sanford, will reopen today. </h3>

By Todd Pack | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted September 6, 2004

Central Florida's tourism machine will crank up slowly today with limited passenger service resuming from the Orlando and Sanford airports and five of Orlando's seven theme parks opening at least part of the day.

Only Disney-MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom will not open -- and that's because of staffing issues, said Disney spokeswoman Veronica Clemons. Both parks are "show ready," she said.

The return to business comes after the parks were closed for at least two days -- longer than they closed for hurricanes Floyd and Charley and for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The shuttering of the parks along with the closings of restaurants and souvenir shops could cost the industry hundreds of millions of dollars during the usually hardy Labor Day weekend.

Hurricane Charley, which tore across the peninsula last month, generally spared the parks, although it felled countless trees and damaged the roof of a stadium at SeaWorld.

Frances caused even less damage, park representatives said.

"We lost 450 trees in the park in Charley," SeaWorld General Manager Jim Atchison said. "We lost about a dozen from Frances."

SeaWorld, along with its upscale day resort Discovery Cove, is scheduled to open at noon today. SeaWorld plans to close at 6 p.m. -- four hours earlier than originally scheduled -- although the park may stay open later if attendance is strong, Atchison said.

Universal Orlando plans to open Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure at 9 a.m. today, spokesman Tom Schroder said. CityWalk also will be open.

Disney's Magic Kingdom and Epcot will open at 10 a.m., an hour later than usual. The Magic Kingdom will close at 8:30 p.m., while Epcot will close at 9 p.m. Downtown Disney will be open from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.

As Sunday progressed, rain raised the water levels in the numerous canals that drain Disney's swampy property. A few trees fell on roads and golf courses throughout the resort, and rain and wind sprayed brown pine needles and palm fronds across the asphalt. The wind bent a few signs.

By 5 p.m., the cleanup already had begun. Street sweepers brushed off the trees, as utility trucks roamed the property looking for downed tree limbs.

Likewise, there was little damage at Orlando International.

The airport's ticket counters are scheduled to open at 10 a.m. today with the first flights leaving about noon, although some airlines, including Southwest and British Airways won't resume service until Tuesday, said Bill Jennings, executive director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority.

Passengers should call their airlines before going to the airport, he said.

The airport suffered major roof damage from Charley, but Jennings said the temporary roof on its terminal buildings withstood Frances' weaker winds.

Some domestic service also is scheduled to resume today from Orlando Sanford International, spokesman Michael Caires said. International service will resume later, he said.

Orlando Sanford suffered minor damage in the latest storm "but nothing that would prevent us from operating," Caires said.

Ironically, the parks and airports were shuttered even as Central Florida's hotels were packed with out-of-towners. Orlando was a popular destination for coastal residents trying to escape the storm's lashing winds.

Some hotels lost power Sunday during the storm, and there were reports of leaking windows. Strong winds ripped a five-story gash across the façade of the Marriott Orlando Downtown, but there was no structural damage to the building.

Blowing rain entered air-conditioner vents in some rooms at the DoubleTree Club Hotel in Lake Buena Vista, and several guests were moved to another room, but damage to the hotel was minimal.

Other hotels didn't fare as well.

Indu Mehda, manager of the Kissimmee Days Inn on U.S. Highway 192, spent Sunday afternoon fielding complaints from guests who lost electical power at 4 a.m.

Working behind a cluttered front desk lighted by two candles, Mehda said she had only two workers on duty to service 145 occupied rooms. The rest of the staff, including most of the housekeepers, didn't come to work.

"We have 230 rooms and I would fill the rest, but without electricity or clean rooms there is little I can do," said Mehda, whose motel also lost power during Charley. "I'm only hoping the guests will remain patient."

It's unclear what the storm's economic toll on tourism will be. September is generally a slow month for tourism, but there is usually a bump in business over Labor Day weekend.

"It would be safe to say that it's in the hundreds of millions of dollars just in Central Florida," said Abe Pizam, dean of the University of Central Florida's Rosen School of Hospitality Management.

"The hotels are doing pretty well," he said, but the theme parks, restaurants and other businesses that rely on tourists missed out on what much of the country considers the last weekend of summer.

"Whatever they would have made this weekend is lost," Pizam said.

End of quoted article.

Glasgow

Hope everyone is staying safe. I just talked to my folks in St. Petersburg and both of their neighbors got a foot of water in their house .. and that's just in St. Pete. They were not even evacuated!

Hopefully Ivan completely avoids Florida!!

tigsmom

Corrus said:
Yep!

Some damage to the porch, (pool)screen and some small trees...
Will be taken care of by friends...

I'll be home around chrstmas, unless IVAN is going to strike...
In that case I'll be there 2 days ahead of him... I'll leave in time before the orlando's airports will be closing...

Its good to have friends that will help out. Glad the damage wasn't too bad. :wave:

Tim G

:(:(

Attachments

• MudCreeckBridge.jpg
    MudCreeckBridge.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 202
  • ORLSky.jpg
    ORLSky.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 200
  • planecar.jpg
    planecar.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 201

speck76

I finally got my Roadrunner back, it went out last night, although the digital cable did not....go figure.

I went to the MK and Epcot today....no real damage that I noticed except 1 small cloth awning on Main St was torn. The monorail was not running this morning, but was up in the early afternoon. The Epcot line was still down.

The parks were EMPTY....only Peter Pan had a wait, and that was only about 15 minutes. Almost everything else was walk-on.

Not as much debris on the roads as after Charley, only about 15-20 trees down in my neighborhood, not including the small trees planted after Charley.

Tim G

Frances Leaves 6 Million Without Power, Four Dead

7:27 pm EDT September 6, 2004

ST. MARKS, Fla. -- Frances sloshed into the Florida Panhandle on Monday, taking another swing at a storm-weary state where it already had knocked out power to 6 million people, torn up roofs and boats and been blamed for at least four deaths.

While Panhandle residents rode out the tropical storm's heavy rain and wind blowing at a sustained 65 mph, shutters started coming down in the south and residents began returning to homes they had evacuated.

Their return revealed fresh hardship as motorists waited for gasoline in queues that stretched for up to five miles, and others stood in enormous lines for water, ice and other basic supplies.

"We really hope to get ice and everything else. We don't know what they have in there," said Christine Bland, standing in line with about 1,500 other people at a Wal-Mart in Palm Beach County. Up the coast in Fort Pierce, hundreds of people stood in a line with buckets and ice chests on a sunny, steamy afternoon.

The core of the storm, once a powerful Category 4 hurricane before it slowed somewhat, slammed into the state's Atlantic coast early Sunday. After crossing the state and a corner of the Gulf of Mexico, it made its second Florida landfall at tiny St. Marks, 20 miles south of Tallahassee, early Monday afternoon.

In downtown St. Marks, where Frances caused little damage, Charles McCardle rode out the storm at Dewey's Pub and Deli.

"It might have gotten a little rough in this bar, but it ain't got nothing to do with the weather," McCardle said.

At 5 p.m. EDT, Frances' center was 10 miles northeast of Tallahassee, moving north-northwest near 9 mph and bound for Alabama and Georgia. Maximum sustained winds had receded to near 45 mph.

Sixty-year-old Emelina Alvarez of Orlando had a final message for the departing Frances: "Bye bye and never come back."

Forecasters said Frances could bring up to 10 inches of rain and a five- to 10-foot storm surge to the Panhandle. Linda Sellars worried about her property as she and her husband retreated inland from their home on a spit of land that sticks out into the gulf near Panacea.

"I worked the last three weeks in the yard," she said. "I'm going to be really upset if it blows my yard away."

The storm briefly sucked water out to sea away from the Big Bend, Florida's elbow where the peninsula joins the Panhandle.

"There was no water on the gulf along the Taylor County coastline as far as you could see," county emergency management director Roy Woods said.

"You can tell it's getting very close -- there's lots of rain, lots of wind now," said Penny Bolin, executive director of the Red Cross chapter in Albany, Ga. "What we're concerned most about is flooding -- we're expecting large amounts of rainfall."

tigsmom

speck76 said:
I finally got my Roadrunner back, it went out last night, although the digital cable did not....go figure.

I went to the MK and Epcot today....no real damage that I noticed except 1 small cloth awning on Main St was torn. The monorail was not running this morning, but was up in the early afternoon. The Epcot line was still down.

The parks were EMPTY....only Peter Pan had a wait, and that was only about 15 minutes. Almost everything else was walk-on.

Not as much debris on the roads as after Charley, only about 15-20 trees down in my neighborhood, not including the small trees planted after Charley.

Glad you & Speck made it thru OK. Thanks for the update. :wave:

Tim G

Tropical Storm Frances Update

Frances Almost Left The House!

(Gulf Coast Doppler Radar)

Image = Realtime
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

• Gulf Coast_anim04.gif
    Gulf Coast_anim04.gif
    360.6 KB · Views: 150

TimeTrip

Just to tag on Specks WDW attendance report, Universal was pretty much dead today as well. IOA was marked as closed when we pulled in at around 3:00, but they eventually opened up the park by the time we reached the entrance. Popeye was closed so we let ourselves get soaked on Ripsaw Falls :). Mummy had about 5 minute waits at most. That ride RULES!

And man, if you have been on Back to the Future, and remember it being a pretty good ride (like I did) but haven't been on it in years, DON'T ride in the back row. POW! POW! POW! :)

imamouse

Thanks again, Corrus, for the many updates on Hurricane Frances. And thanks also to Speck & TimeTrip for your updates on the parks. I'm glad everyone is safe and the damage was not worse. Here's hoping Ivan goes south of Florida! :lookaroun

diddy_mouse

glad to hear about the updates...i found myself watching the weather almost every night to keep up to date. i have my fingers crossed that Ivan takes a different path. once again, thanks for the pictures and updates and its good to know everyone's all right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom