The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

speck76

TimeTrip said:
Sigh.. i'm still without power here, and probably wont get it back until at least tomorrow. Right now I'm going through all the ice cream hehehe :)

I had a few power blips yesterday, with a few more overnight, and I lost it twice today for less than a few minutes each.....for Charley, I was without power for 36 hours.

Luckily, the area I live in is new, and most of the power lines are under ground, so as long as the feed to those lines stay up, I am ok. :D

Sorry to hear about your power loss.....enjoy your ice cream.

steineymel

speck76 said:
I am not sure why this would be the case, unless flights are very backed up. Things seem to be calming down here.
Oh, That is good to hear. I heard that Port Canaveral was getting wind gusts up to 120 mph and since I have no idea where WDW is in relation to that I just assumed the wind would make things worse. We are trying to be optamistic about getting to WDW on Tuesday since it will be our 1st time ever there. We live in CA and have disneyLAND here but have never been to WDW. Amazing eh?

Melodi

Tim G

boo52 said:
Back up, yahoo messenger crashed
Could you put this kind of conversation through IRC channels or something... this thread is not meant for this "chat"work...

Greetz: :D

speck76

steineymel said:
Oh, That is good to hear. I heard that Port Canaveral was getting wind gusts up to 120 mph and since I have no idea where WDW is in relation to that I just assumed the wind would make things worse. We are trying to be optamistic about getting to WDW on Tuesday since it will be our 1st time ever there. We live in CA and have disneyLAND here but have never been to WDW. Amazing eh?

Melodi

Port Canaveral is over an hour east of WDW, on the Atlantic Coast. Coastal areas get larger wind gusts than inland areas. The largests gusts in Orlando were less than 100mph.

Compared ot Charley, this storm has not been too bad for Orlando....just too long!

Except for DAK, all of the parks opened at 9/9:30 the morning after Charley. I would expect the parks to be open tomorrow, Tuesday at the VERY latest.

Tim G

Hurricane Frances Update
(South-East Florida Doppler Radar)

Image = Real Time

2055Florida_anim21.gif

barnum42

speck76 said:
I am not sure why this would be the case, unless flights are very backed up. Things seem to be calming down here.
I'm guessing the airlines are prepared for a delay in case the airports need work before flights can resume, plus as you say there is a backlog, so getting volunteers to reschedule helps lessen the load. As US Airways have offered this option, if I can swing it at work I’ll try delaying to the end of the week and not even think about Ivan.

The rain has been a steady drizzle for most of the afternoon here. The wind really hasn't been that bad except for a couple minutes ago when an aluminum cover for an attic vent flew off our roof. Now I know what's been banging around up there. Here's a picture of it on the ground. DH went out and put it in our garage so it won't fly around. There are a lot of people out and about in my area. We even had a call (wrong number) asking if Olive Garden was open. The Orange County Chairman was telling people to leave their homes boarded up for a couple days. I'm not sure if this is because they don't know what Frances will really do when she makes it into the Gulf or if they are already looking ahead to Ivan.
4851Pict0004_2_.jpg

speck76

barnum42 said:
I'm guessing the airlines are prepared for a delay in case the airports need work before flights can resume, plus as you say there is a backlog, so getting volunteers to reschedule helps lessen the load. As US Airways have offered this option, if I can swing it at work I’ll try delaying to the end of the week and not even think about Ivan.

During Charley, MCO was in the path of the strongest winds to hit the area.....I don't think we will see the same type of delay.

On another note Barnum, remember that the MK is closing early at the end of this week and weekend for the "Night of Joy" hard-ticket event.....no Wishes for the daytime guests.

barnum42

speck76 said:
On another note Barnum, remember that the MK is closing early at the end of this week and weekend for the "Night of Joy" hard-ticket event.....no Wishes for the daytime guests.
Thanks for the reminder - but I'll be over for a couple of weeks and should have plenty of other opportunities to see it.

barnum42

Tornado said:
Anyone know what Disney did for people staying at Pop Century?
Just want to know how my friends got through it.
As I mentione in my reply to your previous posts, some of the members from here sat out Charley at Pop Century. One of them has posted a video from that time, which will give you some idea of what went on:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=44168

I think guests were told to stay inside and extra movies were put on the TV. Your friends will be safe, if just a little bored staring at the walls.

Tim G

BREAKING NEWS

Hurricane Frances 'still very powerful'

September 5, 2004, 2:54 PM EDT

TALLAHASSEE -- Gov. Jeb Bush warned Floridians to "sit tight" today, as thousands in Central Florida were battered by Hurricane Frances, others anxiously waited to go home to check on damage, and still others in the Panhandle prepared for the massive storm to reach them.

"Please be patient," the governor urged those waiting to go home. " Just remember you and your families are more important than your valuables."

State officials said they had received some reports of deaths but would not classify them as storm related until county medical examiners made a formal determination.

"It's still a very powerful storm moving across the state," said State Emergency Management Director Craig Fugate.

At 2 p.m. the center of the hurricane was about 55 miles east of Tampa. The storm was moving west-northwest at about 9 mph. A continued west to west-northwestward track across the peninsula is expected today, and Frances should move over the Gulf of Mexico late tonight or Monday morning.

Top sustained winds were about 75 mph, with some higher gusts, down from 105 mph when it made landfall. The hurricane center said one gust was clocked at 124 mph at Port Canaveral.

The storm could dump from six to 18 inches of rain, worsening some Central Florida rivers that already were above flood stage before the storm, State Meteorologist Ben Nelson said.

The eye of the storm blew ashore at Sewall's Point, just east of Stuart, around 1 a.m. with top sustained winds of 105 mph. Frances was expected to remain over the state for most of the day, dumping 8 to 12 inches of rain, with up to 20 inches in some areas.

Frances was so big that virtually the entire state feared damage from wind and heavy rain. About 230 miles of coastline, from the Deerfield Beach area northward to Flagler Beach -- remained under a hurricane warning Sunday morning. A similar-sized part of the Panhandle from the mouth of the Suwannee River to Destin on the Gulf of Mexico were now also under the warning.

President Bush already has declared the entire state a major disaster area, officials said. An estimated 4 million people were without power. "It's in the millions,'' Bush said. "We'll probably see more power outages in the Panhandle, Tampa Bay and Central Florida -- again."

"We're getting battered but the heart is strong. As the governor says, we're a resilient state," said Fugate.

The Army National Guard today was positioning troops near Lake Wales to assist with search and rescue, evacuations using high-wheel vehicles, and removing debris.

"It's like fighting a battle,"' said Adjutant Gen. Douglas Burnett, Commander of the Florida National Guard. "You put your soldiers out there. And these folks just came back from Iraq."

But officials were waiting until the storm passed to begin evaluating damage. "We're not going to wait for blue skies to start to respond," Fugate said. "We just need to wait until crews can be safe."

Fuel shortages remain a problem. That also heightens concerns about people wanting to return home too soon, officials said. "Our biggest fear is, as in Hurricane Charley, more people died after the storm," Fugate said.

Many of the deaths in Hurricane Charley, as in most hurricanes, came not from the storm itself but from the storm's aftermath. Often, drowning, touching downed power lines or using generators indoors kills people, Fugate said. "These are very preventable deaths. We ask people to stay in your homes."

American Red Cross officials said no injuries were reported when the storm damaged the roof of a shelter housing hundreds of people in Stuart at Pinewood Elementary School. "It was just a leaky roof," said Red Cross spokesman David Rudduck. "They were moved to another shelter."

State officials are studying converting state parks to temporary housing for hurricane victims, Lt. Gov. Toni Jennings said.

"Housing is going to be a huge challenge," she said. "We have been talking about using our state parks."

She said officials began eyeing state campsites with power and water hookups for recreational vehicles after Hurricane Charley as a place to house the homeless. Officials already had identified one park in Charlotte County, she said, adding, "Now we're probably going to be looking at them everywhere." Many campsites also have showers and bathrooms to accommodate a large number, she noted.

"We're even looking at state buildings," Jennings said. State officials also have been talking with the manufactured housing industry and apartment owners about accepting federal housing vouchers, she said.

Jennings said the state could be facing the largest power outages and the largest debris pickup in state history. "This is going to be a much wider relief effort than Charley," she said. "This is enveloping the state."

The first issue is shelter and "mass care," she said. "That's the food, ice, water and comfort stations."

Jennings stressed that the new relief efforts won't hurt assistance for people still recovering from the last hurricane. "For those victims of Charley, we are not taking those resources away," she said. No confirmed deaths have been linked to Frances, Jennings said. However, some unconfirmed reports have been received, including one in Marion County, said State Department of Law Enforcement Commissioner Guy Tunnell.

Jennings warned residents against venturing out too soon to begin cleaning up.

Officials on Sunday shut down Interstate 95 temporarily near West Palm Beach after a gaping sinkhole opened in a northbound lane and what an official called "severe water puddles" and disabled vehicles in southbound lane. "The hole is getting larger and larger," said Maj. Leroy Smith of the Florida Highway Patrol.

Smith could not say how long the critical route would stay closed.

speck76

The wind is really calming down in my area. There is still some stiff gusts, but the sustained winds are not too bad....by the looks of the radar, the areas north and south of Orlando still have a while yet, but central Orlando is almost out of the woods.

Tim G

Photos Before, During And After Hurricane Francis

:(:(

Attachments

• Exxon.jpg
    Exxon.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 216
  • GasStation.jpg
    GasStation.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 209
  • LakeMar.jpg
    LakeMar.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 200
  • LakeWalk.jpg
    LakeWalk.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 211

General Grizz

Looks like the storm is starting to strengthen again -- but it seems also to be fastly approaching the Tampa area - generally good news that it may be leaving the state sooner than later. Hope everyone is OK! I know my house is out of power right now. . . perhaps I'll go sightseeing for a few extra days. :lookaroun

(GO AWAY IVAN.)

Tim G

Photos Before, During And After Hurricane Francis

0|0

Attachments

• SingerIsland.jpg
    SingerIsland.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 229
  • OrangeAv.jpg
    OrangeAv.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 222
  • MJSaloon.jpg
    MJSaloon.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 220

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom