The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Mikejakester

barnum42 said:
I think tape proved it's use in London during The blitz, they put it on windows in a big star pattern to minimise the spray of glass shards when bombs landed, so I think it has a proven track record. But if someone is hoping it will keep the window intact then I agree it's a waste of time. Especially masking tape. But I guess if that's all you have and home depot is sold out it's better than nothing, even if it only has a placebo effect.

Yeapo.
Masking tape is used to keep the class "together" in case it breaks. Instead of having a million shattered sharp pieces of glass flying around. The tape prevents that from happening, It wont make the window stronger, it's just a precaution just in case it breaks there wont be so many sharps pieces of glass all around.

Tim G

Osceola County Evacuates Residents, Halts Alcohol Sales

UPDATED: 11:30 pm EDT September 4, 2004

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Osceola County is bracing its residents for Hurricane Frances by issuing evacuation orders and implementing a curfew.

As of midnight Friday, Osceola County also planned to stop sales of alcohol and guns.

Officials said they are looking at Hurricane Frances' slow pace as a mixed blessing.

On one hand, it gives people more time to prepare. But on the other, officials said they are afraid people are going to get antsy in the shelters.

Officials added that they don't want people to leave the shelters to go check on their homes, and they don't want people to let their guard down.

The county has asked for a voluntary evacuation in the low-lying areas and mobile home parks because they are afraid the slow-moving storm might create massive flooding.

Tim G

What We Know: County By County

County By County Guide To Openings, Closings And Emergency Information

UPDATED:</TEXT> 11:30 am EDT September 4, 2004

<!--startindex-->

Airports

Orlando International Airport is closed
Daytona Beach International Airport is closed
Orlando/Sanford International Airport is closed
Melbourne International Airport is closed
<LI>Note: Before arriving at the airport, contact your airline directly for further information

Roads, Highways, Transportation

Intersections without traffic signals should be treated as four-way stops
Tolls suspended on all Central Florida toll roads and on the Florida Turnpike
<LI>LYNX buses will not run during weekend

Theme Parks And Cruises

SeaWorld is closed
Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are closed
Walt Disney World theme and water parks are closed
Gatorland is closed
Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex closed Saturday and Sunday
Disney Magic scheduled to depart Saturday will sail Monday on five-night voyage from Port Canaveral at 7 p.m.
Disney Wonder scheduled to depart Sunday will sail Monday on three-night voyage from Port Canaveral at 6 p.m.
Carnival Glory scheduled to depart Saturday will sail Tuesday on four-day cruise from Port Canaveral
<LI>Carnival Fantasy scheduled to depart Sunday will sail Tuesday on two-day cruise from Port Canaveral <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Orange County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 836-3111
ORLANDO CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 246-4268
WINTER PARK CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 599-3497 (7am-7pm)
WINDERMERE CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 876-3757
Mandatory curfew will be in effect for Orange County from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. both Saturday and Sunday nights
Citizens should be off area roadways by noon Saturday
Mandatory evacuation order issued for those in manufactured housing or mobile homes
Voluntary evacuation order for those in low-lying areas and flood zones
Septic system problems, contact Orange County Health Department at (407) 836-2600

Winter Park City Hall closed
Catholic Diocese of Orlando cancels confessions and Masses for Saturday afternoon and evening
The Labor Day Football Classic at the Citrus Bowl has been moved to Virginia
Farmers market in Orlando canceled Saturday
Orange County debris drop-off sites closed Saturday and Sunday
Orange County health officials offer advice to people with special needs:
  • Be sure that you have extra bottles of oxygen stored safely and easily accessible
  • Extra batteries for wheelchairs should be fully charged and be ready for use
  • Insulin should be stored refrigerated between 36 degrees and 46 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not freeze. If refrigeration is not possible due to power outage, insulin bottles may be stored at room temperature, below 86 degrees Fahrenheit, and away for direct heat and light for up to 28 days
  • People who have needs for life-sustaining medications should refill their medications before the storm
  • Be sure that your medications are placed in plastic bags and stored safely
  • In the event that you move to a special needs shelter, bring medications with you along with doctor's order
  • Check with your doctor for additional preparation advice
Volunteers needed for post-storm recovery. For more details, call (407) 740-8652
West Oaks Mall in Ocoee closed
<LI>Mall of Millenia closed

Seminole County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 665-2650
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 571-8000

Mandatory evacuation order issued for persons with special needs and those in low-lying areas and mobile homes. There will be a dusk-to-dawn curfew
Mandatory curfew in effect for entire county from dusk until dawn
Residents with special needs that may need sheltering assistance should register with Seminole County management at (407) 665-5102
Residents asked to refrain from putting items at curb until after storm and remove real estate and political signs from yards
Courts closed and plan to reopen Tuesday
Longwood Central Transfer Station closed
Seminole County landfill closed
Residents urged to conserve water and limit use of sewer systems
All extracurricular activites for high schools including rehearsals, meetings, and practices canceled through Monday
The county needs HAM radio operators. Interested people should call (407) 665-2650 or 147.285 repeater.
Altamonte Springs city offices are closed
Altamonte Springs city parks closed
Altamonte Mall closed through Saturday
<LI>Sanford City Hall offices, facilities and parks closed

Osceola County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (407) 343-6942

A voluntary evacuation order has been issued for those in mobile homes and in low-lying areas
Kissimmee implements citywide 24-hour curfew
Local businesses asked to have all employees carry ID -- Only essential travel permitted
Alcohol and gun sales prohibited
<LI>Kissimmee residents are asked to stop putting debris on their curbs until after Hurricane Frances passes

Volusia County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (866) 345-0345
NEW SMYRNA BEACH INFORMATION LINE: (386) 424-2113 and (386) 424-2114
DELTONA CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (386) 561-2109
PORT ORANGE CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (386) 506-5999
EDGEWATER CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (386) 424-2400
ORMOND BEACH CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (386) 676-3220 or (386) 676-3221
Mandatory evacuation for Daytona Beach residents east of Intracoastal Waterway and those living in manufactured and mobile homes countywide. Beachside residents will not be allowed back without proof of residency
City of South Daytona strongly recommends evacuation for its residents
Jurisdictions may close bridges to vehicular traffic when winds reach 45 mph
Bascule bridges locked down to boat traffic to facilitate evacuation. Draws will open on the hour for 15 minutes when boat traffic is present

Votran will continue shelter transportation and regular route service Saturday -- All rides free
Council on Aging closed through Monday
Tomoka Landfill and West Volusia Transfer Station closed
City of Deltona will have five information posts after the storm:
  • The Dupont Lakes Center (Publix) parking lot on Howland Boulevard
  • Deltona Landings (Publix) parking lot on Doyle Road
  • Winn-Dixie parking lot at Howland Boulevard and Catalina Boulevard
  • Deltona Plaza (Winn-Dixie) parking lot on Deltona Boulevard
  • Dewey Boster Park at 1236 Saxon Boulevard
American Red Cross blood drives canceled Saturday. Red Cross Blood Donor Center in Daytona closed Saturday
Port Orange parks and recreation services cancels all events until further notice
Ormond Beach has suspended collection of garbage, recycling and storm debris until further notice
Daytona Beach Community College will be closed through Labor Day -- All campus activites for weekend canceled
Father Lopez Catholic High School will follow Volusia County closings
Edgewater garbage collection suspended until further notice
<LI>After the storm, Volusia County will open relief centers at:
  • Dickerson Center -- 308 S. Martin Luther King Blvd., Daytona Beach
  • Daytona Beach PAL Center -- 925 George Engram Blvd.
  • Schnebly Center -- 1101 N. Atlantic Ave.

Brevard County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (321) 637-6670
Brevard County issues state of emergency
Brevard County issues mandatory evacuation for Merritt Island, barrier islands, manufactured and mobile homes
Titusville enacts dusk-to-dawn curfew

American Red Cross blood drives canceled Saturday
The Cocoa Surf Festival is postponed until further notice
Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Cocoa closed until further notice
Webster University Campuses in Brevard closed until Tuesday. For information about next week's next classes call (407) 449-4500
Florida Metro University/Melbourne Campus plans to reopen Tuesday
Florida Institute of Technology closed until further notice
Cocoa Utilities asks all residents to shut off all irrigation systems by Friday and to use water sparingly
Until further notice, courts will reopen on Tuesday
<LI>http://www.orlandoweather.com/news/2458730/detail.html

Lake County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (352) 483-7975
All county offices closed
Lake County Health Department closed, including all services not directly related to emergency responses
Mandatory evacuations for residents of mobile homes, manufactured homes and low-lying in effect
Special needs shelters open. Residents that are not registered and feel they need to be in a special needs shelter, can call (352) 483-7975 for transportation. Medication and dialysis are not available at the special needs shelters

<LI>Lake County Library System Branch Libraries will be closed through Monday

Flagler County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (386) 437-8202
A mandatory evacuation of mobile homes and homes in flood-prone and low-lying areas has been issued. All evacuations should be completed by 3 p.m. Saturday
A mandatory evacuation order issued for areas east of Intracoastal Waterway
Palm Coast issues mandatory evacuation of The Woodlands, residents on saltwater canals east of Florida Park Drive or Palm Harbor Parkway, north of Palm Coast Parkway
Curfew on barrier islands implemented for Saturday evening until 6 a.m. Monday

Sandbags vailable at all fire stations in Flagler County -- 10 bag limit per residence
American Red Cross blood drives canceled Saturday
<LI>All debris, sanitation, and recycling services for Bunnell and Flagler Beach is suspended until Sunday

Marion County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (352) 369-6807

County state of emergency in effect
Mandatory curfew in effect from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. through Sunday night
Mandatory evacuation order issued for mobile homes and manufactured homes
<LI>Central Florida Community College classes are scheduled to resume Tuesday

Sumter County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (352) 793-5346 and (352) 793-5308
A voluntary evacuation order has been issued for those in mobile homes and in low-lying areas

<LI>Lake-Sumter Community College will reopen Tuesday

Polk County

CITIZENS' INFORMATION LINE: (863) 534-0321 (locally) or toll-free (866) 661-0228, from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Polk County schools closed until further notice
Mobile home residents are urged to seek shelter with friends, relatives or at a public shelter

WDWScottieBoy

Do you have an updated dopplar radar image we can see in action right now Corrus? I'm hoping you're staying safe right now. Speck, any more images from you either?

Stay safe both of you and everyone else in the storm's path. I'm thinking about all of you!

speck76

I am 1/2 miles NE of Universal.

I decided not to go to the hotel.
First, if I went there, I would have to work (I am salary, so this would be for free) and after having a rough week at work, I need the time off.
Secondly, the storm does not look as bad as Charley, and the only thing I need to be concerned over is wind....I live on the 3rd floor, so flooding would not be a problem for me (compared to wind).

I am headed out to find some food.

Tim G

Hurricane Francis Atlantic Position

Image 90 mins. Delay

2055Frances-19.gif

Atta83

Just got off the phone with Dave and he said the first wave came through and wow....he tired to open the door on the balcony to see but the wind was pushing up against the door. So he is down in the lobby now eating food and visiting with Mickey, Minnie, Chip, and Dale.

Atta83

Corrus said:
I TOLD him NOT to stay in his room, but in the Lobby... (Again I was Right :D)

LOL that and I guess he needs to eat.....LOL he wants to shoot somemore footage though..... :p

WDWScottieBoy

Corrus, seeing that you're in Celebration, I noticed that about 30? minutes ago the first big line went through. Do you see any damage or how is it there in Celebration right now. I hope you're staying safe.

Gail Hayden

Corrus,

Do you EVER sleep? Where do you get those GREAT doppler maps?
Please, stay safe, and that goes for all of you in FL!!!! See you Monday, with any luck. Any news about the reopening of MCO? I am not trying to be insensative at all, please believe me.
Thank you all so much for keeping us updated!!!!

speck76

Atta83 said:
Just got off the phone with Dave and he said the first wave came through and wow....he tired to open the door on the balcony to see but the wind was pushing up against the door. So he is down in the lobby now eating food and visiting with Mickey, Minnie, Chip, and Dale.

That rainband was no worse than the average afternoon thunderstorm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom