The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Atta83

I actaully think its a good idea that the parks are going to be closed tomorrow (sorry dont hate me now), but if there is a chance of getting rain and from what i hear heavy rain, you do not want people driving out in it. I mean there are alot of tourist who are going to be out and about who have never driven in real heavy rain and strong wind gust......sorry i just had to put my 2 cents in....dont bash me to hard.....

tigger248

NemoRocks78 said:
030853W5.gif

Me and the other Tiggers no likey this model! After it slams all of my dear friends down in Florida, the remains look like they're gonna come through here in Kentucky. Granted it won't be nearly as bad here as there, but it still means a lot of rain that I don't particularly want.

I pray that you all stay safe. Take care down in Florida (and anyplace else that may get slammed by this horrible storm).

Tim G

Hurricane Frances Advisory Number 41

Issued at: 10:43 PM EDT 9/3/04

Frances slowly approaching grand bahama island, high winds and heavy rainfall continue to rake the northwestern bahamas,

A hurricane warning is in effect for the east coast of Florida from Florida city northward to flagler beach, including lake okeechobee. A hurricane warning also remains in effect for the northwestern bahamas.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion.

A hurricane watch and a tropical storm warning remain in effect from north of flagler beach northward to fernandina beach.

At 11 pm edt, 0300z, a tropical storm warning has been issued for the southwest Florida coast from bonita beach eastward to south of florida city. A tropical storm warning reamins in effect for the middle and upper Florida keys from south of Florida city southward to the seven mile bridge, including Florida bay.

At 11 pm edt, a tropical storm watch has been issued for the florida west coast from north of bonita beach northward to the suwannee river.

At 11 pm edt, 0300z, the center of hurricane frances was located near latitude 26.1 north, longitude 77.8 west or about 70 miles 110 km, east-southeast of freeport grand bahama island. This is also about 150 miles east-southeast of west palm beach Florida.

Frances is moving toward the west-northwest near 6 mph 9 km/hr, and this general motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours. However, steering currents remain weak and some erratic motion can be expected. On the forecast track, the large core of hurricane frances will continue to move slowly over the northwestern bahamas overnight, and will be very near the florida east coast by late Saturday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph, 165 km/hr, with higher gusts. This makes frances a strong category two hurricane. Some fluctuations in intensity are possible during the next 24 hours.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 110 miles, 175 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 200 miles, 325 km. A sustained wind of 81 mph was recently reported on north eleuthera island. During the past hour, ham radio operators at hopetown on abaco island reported wind sustained winds of 69 mph with gusts to 81 mph at hopetown. The settlement point c-man station on western grand bahama island recently reported a sustained wind of 59 mph with a gust to 75 mph, while a sustained wind of 44 mph with a gust to 52 mph were reported at the lake worth Florida c-man station.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 960 mb, 28.35 inches. A ship in marsh harbor recently reported a pressure of 960 mb.

Storm surge flooding of 5 to 12 feet above normal tide levels, along with dangerous battering waves, can be expected near the eye of frances on the north side of grand bahama island. Storm surge flooding of 3 to 5 feet above normal tide levels can be expected on the west side of the other islands of the bahamas. Coastal storm surge flooding of 4 to 5 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near and to the north of where the center makes landfall in Florida. Storm surge flooding of 5 feet above normal lake water level is expected in lake okeechobee. Along the southwest Florida coast, storm surge flooding of 1 to 3 feet above normal tide level can be expected.

Rainfall amounts of 7 to 12 inches, locally as high as 20 inches, are possible in association with frances over the bahamas.

Swells generated by frances will be affecting portions of the southeastern coast of the united states. These swells could cause dangerous surf and rip currents.

Repeating the 11 pm edt position, 26.1 n, 77.8 w. Movement toward, west-northwest near 6 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 105 mph. Minimum central pressure, 960 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 2 am edt followed by the next complete advisory at 5 am edt.

TimeTrip

Corrus said:
Ehmmmm...... NO IDEA!!! :D
I actually asked a manager standing around. He said that park management was gonna have the parks open tomorrow since nothing out of the ordinary was happening, but some big resort down the road is closing tomorrow for some reason. They attempted to ask this other resort why they are closing tomorrow, but they only got some message about not charging cancellation fees. So, they didn't get a real reason, but figured "Hey, if they're doing it, I guess we should".

TimeTrip

Atta83 said:
I actaully think its a good idea that the parks are going to be closed tomorrow (sorry dont hate me now), but if there is a chance of getting rain and from what i hear heavy rain, you do not want people driving out in it. I mean there are alot of tourist who are going to be out and about who have never driven in real heavy rain and strong wind gust......sorry i just had to put my 2 cents in....dont bash me to hard.....

Agreed. Granted the roads were really empty today, the last thing we need is accidents due to people being out and about when they really shouldn't be. Also there is a real threat of flooding. everyone should be staying in tomorrow :).

Atta83

TimeTrip said:
Agreed. Granted the roads were really empty today, the last thing we need is accidents due to people being out and about when they really shouldn't be. Also there is a real threat of flooding. everyone should be staying in tomorrow :).

Yes, nobody wants to see this type of accident in the new...so in this case.....if you see water across a road PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS IT!!! It could be deeper than you anticipate!!! Many of times have i seen people try to do this and do nothin gbut flood their cars or get them swept away which is really sad....dont let that happen to you.......

speck76

Rant time!

They really need to rethink the 5-day hurricane projections. For those of you not in the hurricane zone, prior to this year, only a 3 day forecast was ever released. The 5 day forecast has really not helped, I think it has made things worse. Almost every single storm projection has been different than the prior, and I think many areas were needlessly evacuated (manditory or not) due to these changes.

Now, many of you may think "it is better to be safe than sorry", and trust me, that is usually my opinion too, but these evacuations cost people, businesses, and the state MILLIONS of dollars.

The 3 day forecast is good enough, at least within the last 3 days, the projection has not varied greatly, except for the diminishing winds of the storm.

There is no reason places like Miami Beach had to be evacuated, except on 1 projection a few days ago, the storm could have gone that direction.

Ok....end rant

Atta83

speck76 said:
Rant time!

They really need to rethink the 5-day hurricane projections. For those of you not in the hurricane zone, prior to this year, only a 3 day forecast was ever released. The 5 day forecast has really not helped, I think it has made things worse. Almost every single storm projection has been different than the prior, and I think many areas were needlessly evacuated (manditory or not) due to these changes.

Now, many of you may think "it is better to be safe than sorry", and trust me, that is usually my opinion too, but these evacuations cost people, businesses, and the state MILLIONS of dollars.

The 3 day forecast is good enough, at least within the last 3 days, the projection has not varied greatly, except for the diminishing winds of the storm.

There is no reason places like Miami Beach had to be evacuated, except on 1 projection a few days ago, the storm could have gone that direction.

Ok....end rant

Weather forcasters and their high tech equipment...LOL.... I think its good to always have a plan, but I see what you are getting at Speck and you are right.

Like today they said it was supposed to rain here in houston and what did i get a couple of sprinkles..... :veryconfu

speck76

Atta83 said:
Weather forcasters and their high tech equipment...LOL.... I think its good to always have a plan, but I see what you are getting at Speck and you are right.

Like today they said it was supposed to rain here in houston and what did i get a couple of sprinkles..... :veryconfu

Pay attention to the 5 day forecast that your weatherman spills out on the nightly newscast.......how often is that correct? Weather Forecasting is not an exact science....it never will be.

speck76

Nothing is happening.....it is as breezy as a spring day. Some small clouds are coming through at a fast pace....that is about it.

BTW...you may notice my neighbors taped their windows (which does not help) with masking tape (which helps even less) :hammer:

MCO Dreamin

Atta83 said:
One of the biggest dangers in heavy rain is that there is always some nut that figures he or she can keep going regardless of how little they can see and have no idea where they are at in the first place, we were on vacation when Andrew came through and although we were far enough north to be out of the winds we got in some pretty heavy rain and had to pull over and that is nerve wracking as cars would come out of nowhere and zoom by driving basically blind.

HorizonsMan

i know i proabably shouldnt be but i am scared outta my freakin mind, its as if i just realized how badly i could go, im really really scared( crawls in corner and cowers)

joefox97

I couldn't resist the reference... so many of the news stories have used the word... hopefully this adds a bit of levity to a very serious situation...

And I quote:

"Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge. A deluge of such magnitude that the world's greatest waterfalls flowing together for more than a million years would only just begin to approach its results."

I really miss the Living Seas....

All my best to everyone in Florida and anywhere in the path of the storm...

Joe

speck76

HorizonsMan said:
i know i proabably shouldnt be but i am scared outta my freakin mind, its as if i just realized how badly i could go, im really really scared( crawls in corner and cowers)

There is nothing to be afraid of. Just be smart, cautious, and follow your instincts........you will be just fine.

HorizonsMan

does anyone know if the windows at sabal palm apartments are storm proof? i know ill be fine and definatly a level head but im just scared

DDuckFan130

HorizonsMan said:
MKT (Rob) -- in his hotel working
PhotoDave219 (Dave) -- Wilderness Lodge
General Griz -- Left town
speck5576 -- in his hotel working/riding out the storm
Horizonsman - in his bottom floor apartment fighting the cold

ill be ok, i think
You have a cold too?? I had a sore throat yesterday but now it's been upgraded to a cold :lol:. I think the fever will kick in momentarily :lol:

speck76

HorizonsMan said:
does anyone know if the windows at sabal palm apartments are storm proof? i know ill be fine and definatly a level head but im just scared

Apartments in Orlando are built to withstand 125mph winds....you are fine.

tigger248

MCO Dreamin said:
One of the biggest dangers in heavy rain is that there is always some nut that figures he or she can keep going regardless of how little they can see and have no idea where they are at in the first place, we were on vacation when Andrew came through and although we were far enough north to be out of the winds we got in some pretty heavy rain and had to pull over and that is nerve wracking as cars would come out of nowhere and zoom by driving basically blind.

To add to this, people also tend to try to drive at full speed (or faster) in those heavy winds. That will cause even more troubles because at the first puddle they're toast. Hydroplaning is a huge factor when people crash while driving in heavy rain.

I've been in blinding rain (crawling at like 20-30 mph with flashers on) while getting passed by people doing 50-60 mph (or possibly faster). These are the guys who cause the accidents (and my dad used to be one of those guys, thank god he's changed and no longer drives recklessly in storms!)

Woody13

tigger248 said:
I've been in blinding rain (crawling at like 20-30 mph with flashers on)...
Using your flashers while driving is a violation of the law (and good driving practices). Your emergency flashers are not designed to be used while driving. They are to be used for road side emergencies only.

tigger248

Woody13 said:
Using your flashers while driving is a violation of the law (and good driving practices). Your emergency flashers are not designed to be used while driving. They are to be used for road side emergencies only.

Are laws like that different in different states? I just don't understand how it can be against the law since everyone here does it. I actually am annoyed by people who go well below the speed limit with no warning that they're traveling so slow (like the flashers). I wouldn't doubt that some Kentucky drivers aren't good drivers, everyday I wonder how some people can drive and not have daily accidents. Just curious if maybe that law in Florida is also in Kentucky cause I do know there are differences (like ya'll can make U-turns and we can't). I don't think they could possibly enforce it because a lot of people do it. JMO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom