The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Tim G

Hurricane Preparation Photos

2055X01.jpg

No Idea For How Long

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
i'm at work right now. gonna go to universal in the AM, weather permitting :D

Tim G

Frances Claims Her First Life

Hurricane Warning Issued For Central Florida

UPDATED: 10:10 pm EDT September 3, 2004

Hurricane Frances weakened to a still-strong Category 2 hurricane Friday night, although she did claim her first life.

In the Bahamas, wind gusts reached 115 mph Friday, uprooting trees, tearing roofs off homes, and knocking out power and phone lines. A teenager was killed when he was electrocuted as he tried to fix his generator.

The outer squalls of Hurricane Frances began moving over Florida Friday, and forecasters said weather should begin to deteriorate gradually.

Frances is expected to hit somewhere in Florida Saturday afternoon or evening. The center of Hurricane Frances is located near latitude 25.9 north, longitude 77.5 west, or about 200 miles east-southeast of Florida's lower east coast.

Frances is drifting slowly toward the west-northwest near 4 mph. Top sustained winds are 105 mph, with higher gusts. Some fluctuations in intensity are forecast during the next 24 hours.

Rain bands associated with Frances came ashore in portions of Central Florida Friday evening, including Melbourne and Cape Canaveral.

Although Frances weakened slightly, she still has the potential to push ahore a storm surge of 10 to 12 feet.

With its imposing size and slow movement, Frances could ravage the state. Forecasters said the slower the storm moves across the ocean, the longer its winds and rain could linger. They warn Frances could bring 10 to 20 inches of rain.

About 14.6 million of Florida's 17 million people live in the areas under either a hurricane watch or warning.

Tim G

MCO Closed Through Weekend

Orlando International Airport is closed, and a spokeswoman said they probably will not resume operations until at least Monday.

By Friday evening, the runways were cleared of planes and most passengers had left the terminals. Commercial flights ceased at 12 p.m. Friday, even though Orlando was still enjoying Frances-free weather.

A spokeswoman said the closure was necessary in order to prepare the airport for the approaching hurricane.

"There's a lot of work to be done in anticipation so that we can begin operating efficiently once the storm has passed," said Carolyn Fennell.

She said airport employees are working to tie down equipment and waterproof ticket counters.

Most passengers left the airport earlier in the day after officials encouraged them to find a hotel or go to a shelter. Fennell said they hope to be flying again on Monday, but officials will probably meet Sunday to make a decision.

Tim G

Shelters Filled To Capacity!

Shelters from Brevard County to Orange County are filled to capacity with some of the state's 2.5 million evacuees.

By Friday afternoon, shelters in Orange, Brevard and Volusia Counties had stopped accepting new evacuees. Officials scrambled to open new shelters to house the millions of residents.

From coastal residents to mobile home dwellers to vactioners, people are pouring into the shelters.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Time for some good news for central FL, the VIPIR system has the storm heading North missing central FL, but heading towards the FL/GA border...

Of course, that's just what VIPIR says, not the NHC, but VIPIR was the only computer system to correctly predict Hurricane Charley's path, so it is proven. Let's hope VIPIR is right. Cross your fingers, eh? Unless you're near the FL/GA border. My heart goes out to all who are affected. I wish you luck. :(

Tim G

Curfews Enforced Throughout Region!

Counties are ordering mandatory curfews throughout Central Florida as they try to protect hundreds of thousands of homes vacated by evacuees.

Orange County, a curfew will be in effect from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. Saturday and Sunday nights. Seminole County will implement a dusk to dawn curfew, beginning Friday, in the areas where mandatory evacuations have already taken place. The whole county will be under a curfew starting at 9 p.m. Saturday.

Brevard County enacted a dusk-to-dawn curfew in its evacuated areas. The city of Titusville is also enforcing its own curfew.

Marion County will also implement a countywide curfew at 8 p.m. Saturday. Officials said they expect it to last through Sunday night, but they may extend that depending on Frances' damage.

Flagler County has ordered a curfew for its barrier islands starting at 6 p.m. Saturday and lasting through 6 a.m. Monday.

Kissimmee and New Smyrna Beach, are ordering their own curfews.

Kissimmee will cover the whole city -- 24 hours a day -- beginning at 9 p.m. Friday. Businesses are being encouraged to order their employees to carry an ID at all times.
New Smyrna Beach, the curfew starts at 8 p.m. Friday and will last until the evacuation orders are lifted.

In most cases, there are several exemptions to the curfew. Medical personnel -- such as doctors, nurses, caregivers and pharmacists -- grocery store, gas station and food service employees, and those with legitimate family emergencies are free to travel.

As Hurricane Frances heads for landfall somewhere on Florida's east coast Saturday afternoon or evening, about 2.5 million people are under evacuation orders. That's the largest evacuation in state history.

Friday afternoon, Flagler County ordered mandatory evacuations, beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday, for the area east of the Intercoastal Waterway. The county also issued a mandatory evacuation for all mobile and manufactured homes and homes in low-lying areas. Officials said the evacuations must be completed by 3 p.m. Saturday.

The city of Palm Coast is telling residents of The Woodlands and all residents on saltwater canals east of Florida Park Drive or Palm Harbor Parkway, north of Palm Coast Parkway, to evacuate by noon Saturday.

Tim G

I-75 Jammed As People Flee Florida

At the Florida-Georgia border, Interstate 75 is jammed as people flee north ahead of Hurricane Frances. A Georgia State Patrol dispatcher in Valdosta said traffic was either stopped early Friday or moving at about 15 mph.

Six wrecks have been reported since 11 p.m. because of the heavy traffic.

On Georgia's coast, traffic is heavy on Interstate 95. Most of the rest stops in the area are full. The Georgia State Patrol said gas stations in Brunswick were packed early Friday morning and officers in the Valosta were telling motorists stopped in their cars to sleep on I-95 to move along.

The head of the Florida Highway Patrol said he's "very, very pleased" with the evacuation procedures Thursday and Friday. Col. Chris Knight said there are no problems with traffic flow Friday morning.

Conditions on Florida's major roads range from light to heavy. He gave a status report Friday morning at the state Emergency Operations Center:

• Florida Turnpike is still heavy -- but gas is available
  • Beeline Expressway is very slow
  • I-75 is moderate to heavy
  • I-95 is moderate
  • I-4 is very light
  • I-10 is very light and moving at normal speeds

Atta83

mkt said:
i'm at work right now. gonna go to universal in the AM, weather permitting :D

I thought I saw someone posted a picture of a universal sign saying that tomorrow they would be closed....Look at the post below....pic taken by time trip

Tim G

Hurricane Frances tears through Bahamas

September 3, 2004, 10:26 PM EDT

FREEPORT, Bahamas -- Hurricane Frances battered the main tourist hub in the Bahamas on Friday, unleashing powerful winds that ripped apart roofs, downed trees and shattered windows in highrises. The storm's violence drove thousands to flee and left one man electrocuted.

Though still powerful, the storm weakened to a Category 2 with sustained winds easing to 105 mph. Frances churned slowly toward Florida at just 4 mph, but forecasters warned it could strengthen.

Streets were almost deserted in tourist center of Nassau, the capital on New Providence Island, which is home to more than two-thirds of the island nation's 300,000 people. Many boarded up their homes and hunkered down inside to ride out the expansive storm that was headed toward Florida.

Fallen trees, debris and downed satellite dishes littered roads and power was knocked out in many parts of the city. At least three boats were destroyed. There were scattered reports of looting, police said, including one man who broke into a Texaco gas station and another who was arrested for stealing appliances.

The hurricane was expected to reach Freeport, the second but smaller commercial center early Saturday. Street signs were already blowing off poles and palms were bending in the strong gusts. Officials urged all residents to stay inside.

Kenrad Delaney, 18, was electrocuted in Nassau on Friday morning while filling a generator with diesel, police said. The family heard a scream and found him lying on the floor. He died after being taken to the hospital, police said.

The U.S. Embassy in Nassau evacuated about 200 non-emergency employees and their families as Frances neared.

Potent wind gusts whipped through the city streets and downpours already were Freeport on Grand Bahama Island, where emergency administrator Alexander E. Williams said about 600 people had checked in to shelters.

Unlike Nassau, Freeport has fewer skyscrapers and its buildings are better built. Officials, however, warned of potential damage to wooden homes and coastal areas.

Police drove through low-lying neighborhoods urging people to evacuate.

Gordon King said he planned to stay in his boarded-up home in Freeport, even though it was only about 5 feet above sea level.

"I hope it's strong. It's been through a couple of hurricanes," said the 36-year-old cook. "If things get bad, I'll probably go inland."

About 20 evacuees -- half of them children -- dozed on pews in the Central Zion Baptist Church outside Freeport.

"I'm trying to save myself. I'm scared," said Elianise Jean, a 40-year-old Haitian immigrant who came with her six children. She brought blankets but no food.

Meanwhile, tourists at the 2,300-room Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, outside of Nassau, were told to leave their rooms and stay in a conference room. No structural damage had been reported, but the hotel's landscape suffered significant damage.

"I came for a week of sunshine and beaches in the Bahamas and can't believe this is happening," said Jo Pain, 37, of London. "It's frightening. The rain is pelting down, the winds are incredible and it's so loud out there."

Telephones lines on the southern islands of Abaco, Mayaguana and Acklins were lost.

The hurricane hit the sparsely populated southeastern Bahamas on Thursday.

Earlier, 15-foot waves and winds of 120 mph were reported on San Salvador Island, which is home to more than 900 people, but no major damage or deaths were reported. Electricity and phone services were down on Long Island, which has about 3,000 residents.

Emergency officials said the roof of a high school on Long Island had been ripped off and residents were reporting severe damage to crops.

Cruise ships were diverted out of Frances' path and many beachfront hotels were evacuated across the chain of more than 700 islands.

Nassau's Doctors Hospital treated about 40 people who suffered minor injuries during preparations for Frances in recent days, said Charles Sealy, vice president of operations. As the hurricane passed, patients and staff member were playing board games and singing on a karaoke machine, Sealy said. More than 40 doctors would be on call during the storm.

Frances brushed past Crooked Island and Acklins Island -- home to about 1,100 people -- late Thursday, knocking out power and phones but doing only minimal damage, said Alfred Gray, the agriculture and fisheries minister.

Officials said Frances also left only minor damage in the Turks and Caicos Islands on Wednesday, damaging more than a dozen houses. One woman was rescued when her roof blew off, but the hurricane's eye missed the heart of the British territory.

At 8 p.m. Friday, the hurricane's eye was about 90 miles east-southeast of Freeport and 200 miles east-southeast of Florida, moving west-northwest.

A hurricane warning was up for most of Florida's east coast, stretching more than 300 miles. About 2.5 million residents were told to clear out -- the biggest evacuation request in the state's history.

Forecasters said the brunt of the hurricane could begin to hit Florida Saturday, less than three weeks after Hurricane Charley raked Florida's western coast with 145 mph winds, causing billions of dollars in damage and killing 27 people.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Coast Guard was searching for a Fort Lauderdale-bound pleasure boat that made a distress call about 12 miles west of Bimini in the Bahamas.

Three people were reported to be aboard the boat stuck in 9-foot swells. FREEPORT, Bahamas -- Hurricane Frances battered the main tourist hub in the Bahamas on Friday, unleashing powerful winds that ripped apart roofs, downed trees and shattered windows in highrises. The storm's violence drove thousands to flee and left one man electrocuted.

Though still powerful, the storm weakened to a Category 2 with sustained winds easing to 105 mph. Frances churned slowly toward Florida at just 4 mph, but forecasters warned it could strengthen.

Streets were almost deserted in tourist center of Nassau, the capital on New Providence Island, which is home to more than two-thirds of the island nation's 300,000 people. Many boarded up their homes and hunkered down inside to ride out the expansive storm that was headed toward Florida.

Fallen trees, debris and downed satellite dishes littered roads and power was knocked out in many parts of the city. At least three boats were destroyed. There were scattered reports of looting, police said, including one man who broke into a Texaco gas station and another who was arrested for stealing appliances.

The hurricane was expected to reach Freeport, the second but smaller commercial center early Saturday. Street signs were already blowing off poles and palms were bending in the strong gusts. Officials urged all residents to stay inside.

Kenrad Delaney, 18, was electrocuted in Nassau on Friday morning while filling a generator with diesel, police said. The family heard a scream and found him lying on the floor. He died after being taken to the hospital, police said.

The U.S. Embassy in Nassau evacuated about 200 non-emergency employees and their families as Frances neared.

Potent wind gusts whipped through the city streets and downpours already were Freeport on Grand Bahama Island, where emergency administrator Alexander E. Williams said about 600 people had checked in to shelters.

Unlike Nassau, Freeport has fewer skyscrapers and its buildings are better built. Officials, however, warned of potential damage to wooden homes and coastal areas.

Police drove through low-lying neighborhoods urging people to evacuate.

Gordon King said he planned to stay in his boarded-up home in Freeport, even though it was only about 5 feet above sea level.

"I hope it's strong. It's been through a couple of hurricanes," said the 36-year-old cook. "If things get bad, I'll probably go inland."

About 20 evacuees -- half of them children -- dozed on pews in the Central Zion Baptist Church outside Freeport.

"I'm trying to save myself. I'm scared," said Elianise Jean, a 40-year-old Haitian immigrant who came with her six children. She brought blankets but no food.

Meanwhile, tourists at the 2,300-room Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, outside of Nassau, were told to leave their rooms and stay in a conference room. No structural damage had been reported, but the hotel's landscape suffered significant damage.

"I came for a week of sunshine and beaches in the Bahamas and can't believe this is happening," said Jo Pain, 37, of London. "It's frightening. The rain is pelting down, the winds are incredible and it's so loud out there."

Telephones lines on the southern islands of Abaco, Mayaguana and Acklins were lost.

The hurricane hit the sparsely populated southeastern Bahamas on Thursday.

Earlier, 15-foot waves and winds of 120 mph were reported on San Salvador Island, which is home to more than 900 people, but no major damage or deaths were reported. Electricity and phone services were down on Long Island, which has about 3,000 residents.

Emergency officials said the roof of a high school on Long Island had been ripped off and residents were reporting severe damage to crops.

Cruise ships were diverted out of Frances' path and many beachfront hotels were evacuated across the chain of more than 700 islands.

Nassau's Doctors Hospital treated about 40 people who suffered minor injuries during preparations for Frances in recent days, said Charles Sealy, vice president of operations. As the hurricane passed, patients and staff member were playing board games and singing on a karaoke machine, Sealy said. More than 40 doctors would be on call during the storm.

Frances brushed past Crooked Island and Acklins Island -- home to about 1,100 people -- late Thursday, knocking out power and phones but doing only minimal damage, said Alfred Gray, the agriculture and fisheries minister.

Officials said Frances also left only minor damage in the Turks and Caicos Islands on Wednesday, damaging more than a dozen houses. One woman was rescued when her roof blew off, but the hurricane's eye missed the heart of the British territory.

At 8 p.m. Friday, the hurricane's eye was about 90 miles east-southeast of Freeport and 200 miles east-southeast of Florida, moving west-northwest.

A hurricane warning was up for most of Florida's east coast, stretching more than 300 miles. About 2.5 million residents were told to clear out -- the biggest evacuation request in the state's history.

Forecasters said the brunt of the hurricane could begin to hit Florida Saturday, less than three weeks after Hurricane Charley raked Florida's western coast with 145 mph winds, causing billions of dollars in damage and killing 27 people.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Coast Guard was searching for a Fort Lauderdale-bound pleasure boat that made a distress call about 12 miles west of Bimini in the Bahamas.

Three people were reported to be aboard the boat stuck in 9-foot swells.

Disneydreaming

FamilyMan said:
Time for some good news for central FL, the VIPIR system has the storm heading North missing central FL, but heading towards the FL/GA border...

Of course, that's just what VIPIR says, not the NHC, but VIPIR was the only computer system to correctly predict Hurricane Charley's path, so it is proven. Let's hope VIPIR is right. Cross your fingers, eh? Unless you're near the FL/GA border. My heart goes out to all who are affected. I wish you luck. :(

What is VIPIR? Is it a forecast model?

Tim G

Hurricane Frances Update
(South-East Florida Doppler Radar)

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 3, 10:43 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Frances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 70 miles 110 km, East-Southeast of Freeport Grand Bahama Island. This Is Also About 150 Miles East-Southeast Of West Palm Beach Florida.
Lat/Long: 26.1N, 77.8W
Max Winds: 105 mph
Category: 2
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: West-Northwest
Speed: 6 mph
Pressure: 28.35 inches</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2055Florida_anim05-med.gif

TimeTrip

Atta83 said:
The pic again....
I'd actually consider going back if it was open tomorrow :) This storm is fizzling quite a bit. The forecasters have been pretty adamant about it warming up over the gulf stream just to make sure people stay safe. Lets hope that doesn't happen. Seems like the primary threat now is flooding as opposed to high winds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom