The New Fantasyland

castevens

I think their high up front cost hurts them because I think UO's challenge is not getting people to stay, but to try them out period.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with what you're saying with the incredibly high ticket prices. But I'm just saying that Universal's response to the high ticket prices was building a set of attractions based on the most popular book/movie franchise of our time (which has been translated into more languages than I knew existed).

No matter the price, this fact alone will get a ton of people to go there to check out the Harry Potter world. It will work on me, I know that.

BUT -- the high prices will be what keeps the high attendance numbers they'll get for the next 2 years from being sustainable.

CastleBound

When Harry Potter is done, I want to go see it right away. Here's the things though, I would also have to go to Disney. I feel most view Universal as a pit stop park. Somewhere to go for a day or two. I would never base a trip around it knowing that Disney is right around the corner. If I'm going down there, it is a must to make Disney a priority. I think alot of people and families think the same way.

castevens

Or just not go at all...
You edited your post after I replied with what I said above, but I wanted to address this comment too. I agree: the high ticket prices will cause a certain amount of people not to come.

Having said that, Harry Potter is a book franchise which has sold almost 350,000,000 copies worldwide (keeping in mind that many of these copies were read by multiple individuals). The Harry Potter movie franchise will have grossed over $5,000,000,000 worldwide by the time the latest movie starts to fizzle out. YOU personally may not go because of the high ticket prices, but a TON of people will go despite the high ticket prices.

castevens

When Harry Potter is done, I want to go see it right away. Here's the things though, I would also have to go to Disney. I feel most view Universal as a pit stop park. Somewhere to go for a day or two. I would never base a trip around it knowing that Disney is right around the corner. If I'm going down there, it is a must to make Disney a priority. I think alot of people and families think the same way.

Again, I agree with this statement. But I personally believe that many of the people who are going would have been in Orlando for a vacation with or without Harry Potter at some point during 2010/2011, and the duration of the trip may be the same as it would have been without Harry Potter existing. So then we go back to my original point: Harry Potter will steal away days from WDW visits. Adding on the potential benefits UO may offer in 2010 to stay on their property, etc, it may take some money out of Disney's pocket short term.

Yes, Disney will be fine. But short-term, UO's gonna have a major spike in attendance and *some* of that will be coming out of Disney's pocket

WDW1974

Said it before, will say it ad nauseum ... Disney doesn't want folks to leave property for one minute or spend one dollar that doesn't go into Mickey's pocket.

And Harry Potter will take them away from Disney.

Some folks here will argue it will only be for a day etc ... and I don't want to get bogged down in that battle.

Because TDO fears folks spending time off property period ... once out of the pixie dust haze people may well realize there are far better ways to spend their money outside of WDW.

And you better believe that is a huge factor (but by no means the only one) as to why MK expansion has come out of the deep freeze and is now on the front burner.

Studios Fan

Said it before, will say it ad nauseum ... Disney doesn't want folks to leave property for one minute or spend one dollar that doesn't go into Mickey's pocket.

And Harry Potter will take them away from Disney.

Some folks here will argue it will only be for a day etc ... and I don't want to get bogged down in that battle.

Because TDO fears folks spending time off property period ... once out of the pixie dust haze people may well realize there are far better ways to spend their money outside of WDW.

And you better believe that is a huge factor (but by no means the only one) as to why MK expansion has come out of the deep freeze and is now on the front burner.

Completely agree. That's why I hope in addition to the MK expansion that we get something at the other parks as well.

RSoxNo1

maybe mid 1800's. 49ish ;)

There doesn't appear to be much land available in Frontierland. There's a section on the island to the rear of the Fort, and possibly some room between the river and the HM show building. The problems with these 2 spots would most likely be usable space and logistics...

I believe BTM is set in the Califoria Gold Rush era, circa late 1800's.

Starting in New Orleans Square in the 1700s, the buildings/attractions continue to progress chronologically by year. There are dates on the side of every building and this goes all the way up to Big Thunder Mountain. This was messed up by Splash Mountain which doesn't fit into this chronology. My question would then be come, if Discovery Bay were to be built would they find a way to fit it in?

Sorry I haven't read through the 65 pages on this topic, but I'd like to give my input.

I can't see Disney investing this much time and effort to completely revamp two lands at the Magic Kingdom when it's not necessary. MK pulls in over 17 million guests each year, more than both of Universal's parks added together! Why would they fix something if it's not broken? If anything, you'd spend this money investing in another park that's not doing as well (DAK?) to try and get more guests and money there. People will go to MK whether or not they redo Fantasyland, but if you add a new land to DAK, you'll get a bigger surge of people bringing in more new money.

From a business stand point, it doesn't make sense to me.

In short, by expanding the footprint of the most popular section of the park, they will be increasing capacity and easing congestion. That in itself is a positive.

Also what does TSI stand for?

jt04

Starting in New Orleans Square in the 1700s, the buildings/attractions continue to progress chronologically by year. There are dates on the side of every building and this goes all the way up to Big Thunder Mountain. This was messed up by Splash Mountain which doesn't fit into this chronology. My question would then be come, if Discovery Bay were to be built would they find a way to fit it in?

In short, by expanding the footprint of the most popular section of the park, they will be increasing capacity and easing congestion. That in itself is a positive.

Also what does TSI stand for?

Tom Sawyer's Island

color

Without going too far off topic...

Disney has nothing to worry about regarding HP - yet.

What will slowly begin to come to light is that Universal is running into monumental problems with the actual ride for the land. Without going into too much detail, it is already confirmed internally that the ride will not be opening with the land. While the land will indeed be absolutely stunning and Disney-caliber, that's all it will be for quite some time.

Disney has a lot up their sleeve for WDW over the next few years and it's a very exciting time at WDI.

Patience...

MiklCraw4d

Exactly, because it will likely not be the MK that loses visitors as a result of HP. As you mentioned before, it'll likely be DHS and DAK

I agree with everyone who has pointed this out. I've been known to skip DAK and especially DHS even without going off property. I think that DHS would take the biggest hit if people go off property en masse for Potter. Potter is definitely going to be a huge draw, that's for sure. Don't know what the long-term ramifications will be, though.

The Conundrum

Without going too far off topic...

Disney has nothing to worry about regarding HP - yet.

What will slowly begin to come to light is that Universal is running into monumental problems with the actual ride for the land. Without going into too much detail, it is already confirmed internally that the ride will not be opening with the land. While the land will indeed be absolutely stunning and Disney-caliber, that's all it will be for quite some time.

Disney has a lot up their sleeve for WDW over the next few years and it's a very exciting time at WDI.

Patience...

I'm not sure how soon the land will open for "soft openings" but you can bet your boots the primary e-ticket will be open and kicking disney's butt by June 30th, 2010.

Expect to see alot of these type of negative rumors in the coming months especially from people WORKING for Disney to try to undermine Universal Studios efforts. As the opening date nears and with nothing major of their own to show off Disney is now starting to feel the heat.

sponono88

I'm not sure how soon the land will open for "soft openings" but you can bet your boots the primary e-ticket will be open and kicking disney's butt by June 30th, 2010.

Expect to see alot of these type of negative rumors in the coming months especially from people WORKING for Disney to try to undermine Universal Studios efforts. As the opening date nears and with nothing major of their own to show off Disney is now starting to feel the heat.

it is a bit strange that this supposed Universal insider is a new member with two posts.. looks like it's just someone trying to start false rumors :shrug:

color

Used to be a member on here who posted occasionally a few years ago and now I've decided to start chiming in again.

Not claiming to work for Disney at all. While I'm sure Disney is feeling some pressure around the opening of HP at IOA, word will start to get out after Universal is forced to publicly announce delays with the project. Not starting any rumors, just speaking what is being said internally.

If you'd like details, feel free to PM me.

Animaniac93-98

Exactly, because it will likely not be the MK that loses visitors as a result of HP. As you mentioned before, it'll likely be DHS and DAK

Actually, I could see families skipping Epcot to go to IoA.

DHS at least has ToT, RnRC, TSMM etc, attractions that would appeal to kids more than TT or MS.

DAK has animals, which alone gives you something you can't see at IoA plus Everest and other rides.

Epcot doesn't really have any huge draw for families (hard as Disney tries) and I could see kids asking their parents to skip the learning and go see Harry Potter.

WDWFigment

Yes, Disney will be fine. But short-term, UO's gonna have a major spike in attendance and *some* of that will be coming out of Disney's pocket

Fine is all a matter of perspective. Will Disney continue to profit off of the theme parks? Sure. Will Disney lose some profit due to Universal's HP? Absolutely. That is all that matters on the business side of the things. There are substantial expectations from shareholders to increase market share and grow profits, while that hasn't happened recently, it is a lot more excusable for the profit decline to occur as a result of the economy. Once Wall Street substantiates that HP has cut into Disney's profit, expectations will be placed on Disney (among other things--and Wall Street will be able to determine whether HP was the cause of said potential decline, regardless of whether Disney concedes so itself).

People treat this as if it's okay because Disney will only lose "some" business to Universal, but will still be immensely profitable. Losing some business (even one day) is losing too much business.

Walter Yensid

Actually, I could see families skipping Epcot to go to IoA.

DHS at least has ToT, RnRC, TSMM etc, attractions that would appeal to kids more than TT or MS.

DAK has animals, which alone gives you something you can't see at IoA plus Everest and other rides.

Epcot doesn't really have any huge draw for families (hard as Disney tries) and I could see kids asking their parents to skip the learning and go see Harry Potter.

This is why I said earlier I think the other parks are the ones in jeopardy of a hit to attendance.

As I also said earlier, I think Star Tours 2.0 is the most important announcement and project to push forward. Star Wars just has that HP luster and excitement around it. I think this could at least take a little attention away from HP.

But, believe me, the FL expansion is a great thing for all of us and Disney...and much needed. But, I think they need a franchise that can go head-to-head with Potter with a fanbase of the young and the old...and Star Wars is the best choice.

castevens

People treat this as if it's okay because Disney will only lose "some" business to Universal, but will still be immensely profitable. Losing some business (even one day) is losing too much business.

Actually I totally agree with you Bricker . . . I was kinda just "scaling back" my wording because some people seemed to be thinking that HP wouldn't affect Disney *at all.* I'm too new here to stick to my guns and use the words I want to use :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom