The New Fantasyland

jt04

Over in the MiceChat thread, someone's described the Belle area as being themed to the her home village. I think this makes a lot more sense than using the Beast's castle, since

• the village idea ties into the adjoining Pinnochio architecture better (I know the it looks like the castle wall will separate the two, but we don't know how visually separate the two will be, given that there will still be a lot of openings in the wall to alleviate guest flow
  • the village idea also presents more opportunities to logically include store fronts for retail & food, and is easier to associate themed food stalls as well.
  • it doesn't make sense to have too many dueling weenies in one area

I think they may be wrong. The village theme will be part of the Belle area which looks fairly extensive. But the blueprints seem to indicate an approach to a castle that matches the film version almost exactly. With forced perspective they can create a castle that does not compete with CC. I think LM could also have a "castle" similar to TDS and Dumbo-land could also have something along these lines. So this new plan could have 3 weenies to help people navigate the Enchanted Forest and not get "lost" in the meandering walkways.

duncan21

Sleepy Hollow

While we are discussing all the new rides/attractions that are associated with Fantasyland and "maybe" a Frontierland type makeover....would anybody want to see a Legend of Sleepy Hollow dark ride where Tom Sawyer Island is?

I can't understand how this amazing disney cartoon keeps getting ignored for rides or attractions.

Anyway...thats my two cents.

jt04

While we are discussing all the new rides/attractions that are associated with Fantasyland and "maybe" a Frontierland type makeover....would anybody want to see a Legend of Sleepy Hollow dark ride where Tom Sawyer Island is?

I can't understand how this amazing disney cartoon keeps getting ignored for rides or attractions.

Anyway...thats my two cents.

I like the idea for sure but that is too close to Haunted Mansion I think. I think TSI lends itself perfectly to a PaTF movie based makeover. It could have a great M&G but also could repurpose the caves and other features to make a mini-land that appeals to everyone incuding state of the art interactive features. The location in the MK and the climate are perfect for a Louisiana bayou complete with a real paddle wheel ship backdrop. Perfect.

JustInTime

I like the idea for sure but that is too close to Haunted Mansion I think. I think TSI lends itself perfectly to a PaTF movie based makeover. It could have a great M&G but also could repurpose the caves and other features to make a mini-land that appeals to everyone incuding state of the art interactive features. The location in the MK and the climate are perfect for a Louisiana bayou complete with a real paddle wheel ship backdrop. Perfect.

We were talking about this last night. I agree. PatF would be the BEST thing for TSI. They could even toss, "The Rescuers" in there somewhere. Didn't that lady living in the Trailer live in a swamp?

jt04

We were talking about this last night. I agree. PatF would be the BEST thing for TSI. They could even toss, "The Rescuers" in there somewhere. Didn't that lady living in the Trailer live in a swamp?

Not sure I have not seen the movie. :eek:

From what I have seen of the clips there will be an amazing new villian in the PatF movie. The small island where the fort is could make a great place for a walk through attraction featuring the villian's area from the movie. I can't remember his name but that could really be cool and fun.

Bwaaahahaha :eek:

JustInTime

Not sure I have not seen the movie. :eek:

From what I have seen of the clips there will be an amazing new villian in the PatF movie. The small island where the fort is could make a great place for a walk through attraction featuring the villian's area from the movie. I can't remember his name but that could really be cool and fun.

Bwaaahahaha :eek:

The Witch Doctor DOES look awesome. Can't wait.

Studios Fan

In a half sunken steamboat with fireworks in the basement and two pet alligators (Nero and Brutus). How cool would that be to play on? You could even thrown in the pirates cave with The Devil's Eye on the island nearby.

It would be very cool. I doubt they would put too detailed of an attraction on there because of the capacity issues. I love the Rescuers though. An underrated classic.

Animaniac93-98

It would be very cool. I doubt they would put too detailed of an attraction on there because of the capacity issues.

They did at Disneyland.

And yes, The Rescuers is great. Shame such a popular Disney movie was swept under the rug after a nasty home video scandal and Disney hasn't bothered to look under it since.

tirian

Back to FL, especially since TSI will never receive a New Orleans-themed overlay:

I'm not at liberty to say anything about the plans themselves, but I can confirm that there's more than what's shown. Not new rides, just more work. Some of these areas have been planned for years—e.g. the FL Skyway station was once going to become Tink's M&G—and they've been absorbed into the new plans (Pixie Hollow).

JustInTime

Back to FL, especially since TSI will never receive a New Orleans-themed overlay:

I'm not at liberty to say anything about the plans themselves, but I can confirm that there's more than what's shown. Not new rides, just more work. Some of these areas have been planned for years—e.g. the FL Skyway station was once going to become Tink's M&G.

Ok, can you say what plans you are talking about? Are they the plans that are based on Fantasyland of TSI?

And why would TSI NEVER get a New Orleans overlay? Just wondering.

tirian

Ok, can you say what plans you are talking about? Are they the plans that are based on Fantasyland of TSI?

And why would TSI NEVER get a New Orleans overlay? Just wondering.

Because we don't have a New Orleans Square. TSI was rethemed at DL because of its proximity to NO Square and POTC.

I can't give specifics, but generally speaking, I'm referring to façades and such, not new attractions.

ms7479a

To be fair, you did just compare 5 HP movies to 9 Disney movies.

No, I really am trying to be fair. I put up the numbers for nine Disney movies: the highest grossing Disney movie for each year 2001-2007 as well as a couple of other notable high-grossing Disney movies. However, the total shown at the bottom is just from the top five Disney movies during this time frame.

jt04

I'm not at liberty to say anything about the plans themselves, but I can confirm that there's more than what's shown. Not new rides, just more work. Some of these areas have been planned for years—e.g. the FL Skyway station was once going to become Tink's M&G—and they've been absorbed into the new plans (Pixie Hollow).

Wow, that is encouraging to hear from you. I think that is what people are missing with the blueprint. You really don't get an appreciation for the potential immersive envionments that will be used. I think the Pooh tree might have been a test of materials and that this plan could involve dozens and dozens of real and engineered trees, streams, water falls, fountains etc. I really think we could get something like Pixie Hollow on a very large scale.

Some of the details you see on the blueprints that make me believe you are right are the potentially amazing queues for Pooh and LM and a complete villiage in Belle's area and also the possibility of a Beast Castle.

ms7479a

Just to make it clear, here are the movies I compared:

Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone (2001): $968,657,891
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002): $866,300,000
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004): $789,458,727
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005): $892,194,397
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007): $937,000,866

Total (2001-2007): $4,453,611,881

Top Five Grossing Disney Movies 2001-2007:

Finding Nemo, $865,000,000
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, $653,200,000

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, $738,809,845
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, $1,060,332,628
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, $958,404,152

Total (2001-2007): $4,275,746,625

CastleBound

We are all getting excited or disappointed at blue prints. Either way we don't know the full story or design of anything they are going to do. It may not be what you are looking for, but it could also be the best themed place you've ever seen. You never know what is gonna happen there until we see some true design and layouts of the lands. Its fun to speculate, but thats all it is for now.

Lee

Adventurer
It's official....I want Tirian's job.:D

DisneyDellsDude

I can't give specifics, but generally speaking, I'm referring to façades and such, not new attractions.
Still good to know.

And does anyone know an estimate cost of this project?
Or can someone pinpoint an estimate more?
So far I've heard a quarter of a billion, to a half a billion dollars.

Anyone know?

JROK

Sorry I haven't read through the 65 pages on this topic, but I'd like to give my input.

I can't see Disney investing this much time and effort to completely revamp two lands at the Magic Kingdom when it's not necessary. MK pulls in over 17 million guests each year, more than both of Universal's parks added together! Why would they fix something if it's not broken? If anything, you'd spend this money investing in another park that's not doing as well (DAK?) to try and get more guests and money there. People will go to MK whether or not they redo Fantasyland, but if you add a new land to DAK, you'll get a bigger surge of people bringing in more new money.

From a business stand point, it doesn't make sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom