The New Fantasyland

lazyboy97o

In case anyone is new to this topic, or doesn't feel like reading through several hundred posts, Kevin Yee has a "summary" of the FL juggernaut over at Miceage. It mostly appears to be a regurgitation/recap of everything that has been posted throughout fandom, and refers to the blueprint in detail without actually showing the blueprint.

The only thing in his article that I felt was "new" was his assertion (or repeating?) that John Lasseter was the force that overcame Rasulo's opposition to this expansion. It's the first I've heard of that, as I thought it was previously speculated that Iger and the board were the only ones that could override Jay.

So if it's true, and JL's not the sherrif, then I guess there's a new marshall in town.
I believe in the past Honor Hunter has talked about how Lasseter has the ear of Iger. So while in the traditional sense Lasseter may not have the authority to override Rasulo, it may have been a case of the two arguing the case with Iger and the board.

I believe in the past Honor Hunter has talked about how Lasseter has the ear of Iger. So while in the traditional sense Lasseter may not have the authority to override Rasulo, it may have been a case of the two arguing the case with Iger and the board.

There were posts not so long ago about Iger being on vacation with his family at the world - he wouldn't have needed nudging from Lasseter about the fact that Fantasyland needed an update, if he had his eyes open on that trip.

Confused about the MiceAge article

Can someone clarify something for me? In the MiceAge article, he says:
"If the recent greenlighting were an override from Lasseter, it would explain why the parks are currently refurbishing some of the things that are likely to go away in the expansion: because Team Disney Orlando assumed it had the right to veto the expansion and not spend the money that way. That, as well as the fact that any expansion would take time to actually build."
I don't get it. Why would refurbishing something (and spending the money) make sense if your'e going to tear it down in the future? That confuses me.

Thanks...

Judy :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't get it. Why would refurbishing something (and spending the money) make sense if your'e going to tear it down in the future? That confuses me.

Not that it makes sense to do - but explains why it was done.

The refurbs were done because the plan didn't include doing the FL expansion.. and then the plans were changed by someone else and the refurbs were already under way.

That's the theory....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Can someone clarify something for me? In the MiceAge article, he says:
"If the recent greenlighting were an override from Lasseter, it would explain why the parks are currently refurbishing some of the things that are likely to go away in the expansion: because Team Disney Orlando assumed it had the right to veto the expansion and not spend the money that way. That, as well as the fact that any expansion would take time to actually build."

Thanks...

Judy :)
Because they weren't planning on tearing it down in the near future. TDO thought that they could just veto any expansion plans so they just marched to their own drummer and maintained what Lasseter wants to rip out.

Oberon81

Is it possible that this "leak" in information could just be a diversion? That it could just be enough of a rumor to get some people to pull their attention to Disney and away from Universal? Or possibly to rev up the engine before the official announcement is issued?

There are many things that have been building up and I would think (if harry potter is indeed a "threat") that Disney would just go for the shock and awe technique. Overwhelm the audience and use misdirection so the "magic" can seem like real magic. :shrug:

Thrill Seeker

Is it possible that this "leak" in information could just be a diversion? That it could just be enough of a rumor to get some people to pull their attention to Disney and away from Universal? Or possibly to rev up the engine before the official announcement is issued?

There are many things that have been building up and I would think (if harry potter is indeed a "threat") that Disney would just go for the shock and awe technique. Overwhelm the audience and use misdirection so the "magic" can seem like real magic. :shrug:

Today Screamscape basically said the same thing. They actually were implying that Disney leaked the Fantasyland Plans as well as the JTTCOTE rumor specifically to draw attention away from Harry Potter. It makes a lot of sense because HP will draw away a lot of teenagers and families from the parks. The Fantasyland expansion would cover their bases on the magic front and JTTCOTE would be a huge hit for teenagers especially. The fact is Disney needs to do something to combat Harry Potter and by greenlighting a bunch of new projects at all of the parks (i.e. Fantasyland Expansion, Monsters Inc Coaster, Imagination Reimagining, JTTCOTE) attention would go away from Universal, at least for a little while, and give guests a lot to look forward to in the not too distant future. Throw in new stuff at Downtown Disney and you have a force to be reckoned with. It sounds like the leak was actually Disney's doing spacifically so fans would speculate and attention would go away from HP. Whether or not these plans actually happen in the forms we are speculating them to is the big question...

Lee

Adventurer
That's interesting. Odd, but that kinda says something. Being optimistic, wouldn't that mean that these are pretty much going to be acted on?

Not necessarily. Really no more than concept art for unbuilt attractions mean they are coming.
It actually puts them in a bit of a tight spot. Now the public knows what is being considered. If they decide to do less, the public will wonder what happened to the other stuff.....disappointed.

Kinda like if the general public knew of the original, much grander plans for Space Mountain. When it opens in November, there would be much uproar and questioning why they didn't do the "good version."

Cat out of bag kind of deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom