The new articulated bendy Bus

fam

This thread has confirmed the idea that human beings must have something to obsess over to keep sanity. The idea that we love disney so much that we are actively looking up specs of bendybusses is probably scarier than a lady that dresses up her cats...but...its comical so keep rocking!

DManRightHere

Although it would seem that way at first thought, the fact is that they take less. It's called tracking. Imagine the trams, if it helps, they contain basically a number of trailers, yet due to the configuration of the train, it tracks almost completely in the line of the lead vehicle. I don't know if studies have been done, but I'd bet that there isn't a huge difference between where the first tire tracks and the very last on does. It has to do more with the wheel base of each vehicle, not the overall length of the train/bus.:)

Believe me, after years of driving 40 foot municipal buses, there isn't a curb in the city that hasn't been violated by the tires on the bus. Besides the idea that they hold more passengers, the big sell for them has been the increased maneuverability in tight spaces. They do need more space to completely straighten out and sit squarely next to the curbs at bus stops. Backing up? Well, that's quite another story. :eek:
Although it would seem that way at first thought, the fact is that they take less. It's called tracking. Imagine the trams, if it helps, they contain basically a number of trailers, yet due to the configuration of the train, it tracks almost completely in the line of the lead vehicle. I don't know if studies have been done, but I'd bet that there isn't a huge difference between where the first tire tracks and the very last on does. It has to do more with the wheel base of each vehicle, not the overall length of the train/bus.:)

Believe me, after years of driving 40 foot municipal buses, there isn't a curb in the city that hasn't been violated by the tires on the bus. Besides the idea that they hold more passengers, the big sell for them has been the increased maneuverability in tight spaces. They do need more space to completely straighten out and sit squarely next to the curbs at bus stops. Backing up? Well, that's quite another story. :eek:

Here is from howstuffworks.com

" It doesn't matter what type of trailer you're pulling -- the trailer's tires will track toward the inside of the turn radius much more than the tires of the tow vehicle [source: RV Towing Tips]. To describe it in simpler terms, the trailer will always cut the corner sharper than the tow vehicle will, so the wider you can swing around a turn, the better the chances are that the trailer will make it around the corner unscathed."

I only pull 20' trailers, but I know this is what happens. If the rear sections of the buses had 2 axles I know it would track differently. These buses could be designed that the rear tires turn out from the turn and make them stay more in line with the tow vehicle. I don't know.

Goofyernmost

" It doesn't matter what type of trailer you're pulling -- the trailer's tires will track toward the inside of the turn radius much more than the tires of the tow vehicle [source: RV Towing Tips]. To describe it in simpler terms, the trailer will always cut the corner sharper than the tow vehicle will, so the wider you can swing around a turn, the better the chances are that the trailer will make it around the corner unscathed."

I only pull 20' trailers, but I know this is what happens. If the rear sections of the buses had 2 axles I know it would track differently. These buses could be designed that the rear tires turn out from the turn and make them stay more in line with the tow vehicle. I don't know.
And we are talking about how much room is needed for a 40 foot straight bodied Bus as opposed to an articulated bus. Having driven both, I can assure you that it takes less space for the articulated bus. I don't pretend to know the geometry involved, just the reality. Having the rear wheels turn in the direction of the turn would indeed make it even shorter and more in line with the front wheels. Even a car will have a difference in tracking between the front and rear wheels and that difference will vary with the wheel base of the car. That is the same theory used in this process. Lesser distance between front and rear wheels means less variance while cornering. Two 25 foot sections will need less space to turn then one 40 ft section even though overall it is 10 feet longer. The rear sections is following based on the location of the rear wheels of the front section instead of the front wheels of the front section.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've always been impressed with the maneuverability of these puppies -

wdw%20tram.jpg
Exactly ...they can turn on a dime (almost). They are truly articulated and it seems they could borrow from this technology.

CDavid

I've always been impressed with the maneuverability of these puppies -

wdw%20tram.jpg

Fully enclose the cars, get a faster tractor to pull them, and with some infrastructure improvements we might have the ideal high-capacity road-going transportation solution for Walt Disney World.

Cosmic Commando

The major difference is that you're talking about a 40' straight bus versus a bendy bus with two 30' sections (numbers made up). The bendy buses are shorter overall than two normal buses stuck together. I drive a 30' straight truck; I think of it as the back wheels being a pivot point. The concept is the same for a bendy bus or a tractor-trailer-- wherever your back wheels are when you start turning, that's pretty much where they're going to stay. Yes, you still have some forward velocity, but you're not taking turns at a great speed in these kinds of vehicles. If your back wheels haven't cleared the corner by the time you make your turn, you're going over the curb.

Actually we sort of do. In Australia, semi trains are quite common. The problem is they do not turn well. You need a long straight run and they require a rather large turning radius. The bendy busses are already pushing the limits of what will work at WDW. Any longer and you are looking as some major infrastructure work.

eco_transport_truck.jpg
I've heard that even out West in the US, they allow triple tractor-trailers. :eek:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The major difference is that you're talking about a 40' straight bus versus a bendy bus with two 30' sections (numbers made up). The bendy buses are shorter overall than two normal buses stuck together. I drive a 30' straight truck; I think of it as the back wheels being a pivot point. The concept is the same for a bendy bus or a tractor-trailer-- wherever your back wheels are when you start turning, that's pretty much where they're going to stay. Yes, you still have some forward velocity, but you're not taking turns at a great speed in these kinds of vehicles. If your back wheels haven't cleared the corner by the time you make your turn, you're going over the curb.
Now that's informative!

Mammymouse

Thanks everyone for the very descriptive and educating answer! The pictures are great. I didn't know that there are 3 trailers on rigs in some areas - WOW!

Edit - As I looked at those pictures again I noticed that there are four trailers on that semi - not three. Double, no quadruple WOW!

Goofyernmost

That is awesome...I remeber the first time seeing a tandem when I was a kid, and I thought that was cool (first time on TV was in the opening of CHiPs, Ponch and Jon, epitome of cool to a 7 yr old)...This blows that away.
86 tires on that rig. Hope no one throws some nails on the road. That would be a lengthy road call.:eek:

DManRightHere

I've heard that even out West in the US, they allow triple tractor-trailers. :eek:

I agree that the articulated can make a tighter turn, my point is since its longer with essentially a trailer and you are cornering around an obstacle you must make a wider turn than a normal bus or the rear trailer will run over the obstacle if not careful.

PhotoDave219

Actually we sort of do. In Australia, semi trains are quite common. The problem is they do not turn well. You need a long straight run and they require a rather large turning radius. The bendy busses are already pushing the limits of what will work at WDW. Any longer and you are looking as some major infrastructure work.

eco_transport_truck.jpg

I look at that and I think "First Place, Spot News" waiting to happen....

Cosmic Commando

I agree that the articulated can make a tighter turn, my point is since its longer with essentially a trailer and you are cornering around an obstacle you must make a wider turn than a normal bus or the rear trailer will run over the obstacle if not careful.
Maybe. It all depends on the specific measurements of the two buses that you're comparing. Each individual section of a bendy bus is shorter than a normal bus, but the whole is longer overall... turning radius could go either way.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Bendy buses had a test carried out within the past year and it did not go well.

Meaning?

It did go well from my understanding at resorts with bus stops like GF, POFQ that had straight forward pull ins, not so much in places like POR where the bus queue dips in. It did not go well at the MK so that is why they are building a different loop to accommodate the buses.

Epcot, DHS and AK bus loops are not as tight as the MK so there shouldn't be a major adjustment, but can't imagine why with the attendance at DHS and AK why they would need the bendy buses.

Goofyernmost

It would seem that way, but the opposite is true. It is less likely to run over anything then a straight body would. Again, it's a matter of tracking. Hard to explain in words, but easy to see when actually observing it. I'm not saying that one can make it without using a wide turn, but, no more then a straight body requires. The just of it is that they are perfectly capable of going anyplace a regular bus will go so that is not a problem. Pulling up next to a curb is where more space is required. In line pull in instead of a cornering problem.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom