The new articulated bendy Bus

Kamikaze

Please read all of the posts. :wave:

Maybe but then they don't seem to be freaking out over $500 million for Avatarland. :D

Because 1) Avatarland numbers are only guesstimates and 2) Avatarland would bring in revenue. Among other things. While a monorail system could bring in revenue at WDW, they wouldn't do that.

nace888

But that is because the wheel base is so much shorter than a bus. ;)

Not only that, but if I am correct, I believe they are set up like this, joined at the axle rather than joined at the end of the cars...

picture.php

G00fyDad

Not only that, but if I am correct, I believe they are set up like this, joined at the axle rather than joined at the end of the cars...

picture.php

Sort of. But they have a flexible accordion joint between the two halves and this would get shredded if it used that design. I believe that the axles are stationary on the second half. The wheels probably turn to some degree or another but the axle is likely fixed.

nace888

Sort of. But they have a flexible accordion joint between the two halves and this would get shredded if it used that design. I believe that the axles are stationary on the second half. The wheels probably turn to some degree or another but the axle is likely fixed.

I was talking about the trams, not the buses.

Polydweller

They maneuver the same as a train. And I took physics too. You're trying to say that the front end of the back section will go to the exact same location as the front of the front section to negotiate the turn. Wow. You actually think that works? When the rear of the main section of the bus makes the turn (turning as if the rear section was not there) the rear section would only move forward about 50% of the distance needed to make the turn. Then it would sweep to the side, since it is still attached to the back of the main section, and rip apart anything it hits. :lol: You have to A) drive them different and B) drive them in wider spaces. :wave:

Look back at my post. The manufacturer has it as 40 ft turning radius for regular model, 44 ft for the articulated. According to the manufacturer they are designed so that no extra triaining is required and any current bus driver can drive them. The only driving training is a short interval of learning the extra 4 ft. It isn't that significant a difference.

G00fyDad

Look back at my post. The manufacturer has it as 40 ft turning radius for regular model, 44 ft for the articulated. According to the manufacturer they are designed so that no extra triaining is required and any current bus driver can drive them. The only driving training is a short interval of learning the extra 4 ft. It isn't that significant a difference.

Again, try turning one like that. I can look at the photos and plainly see that they are designed to turn like a double trailer semi. I have been behind the wheel for one of those and I can tell you first hand, they do not turn or drive like a single trailer. You have to turn wider which requires more space.

Wait, why are we even discussing this? Neither of us drives a bus at Disney. If they get the articulated buses they get them, if they don't then they don't. :)

NoChesterHester

Again, try turning one like that. I can look at the photos and plainly see that they are designed to turn like a double trailer semi. I have been behind the wheel for one of those and I can tell you first hand, they do not turn or drive like a single trailer. You have to turn wider which requires more space.

Wait, why are we even discussing this? Neither of us drives a bus at Disney. If they get the articulated buses they get them, if they don't then they don't. :)

Thanks. Not the most riveting discussion. :lol:

flavious27

Most of the cost of the LV monorail was because of the location.

The per-mile cost at WDW wouldn't be as high. If I had to really try and put a number on it, I'd put it at $12.5m to $25m per mile, just to properly ballpark the system.

Also, the original LV monorail cost did not include new trains. They repurposed two Mark IV trains from WDW for the system.

Also - the capacity of the LV monorail is only 240 people. Judge that against one of these articulated buses.

Not going to be that low in 2012 dollars. Look at the line they put in Dubai. 40k daily ridership with two stations, which is comparable to a disney line. Construction budget was $400 million for 3 miles.

If the numbers for a monorail expansion would have worked when MGM or DAK was built, they would have built it.

Mammymouse

In a thread here about EPCOT someone mentioned that the bus drop offs were being enlarged to accommodate the double "bendy" buses. If that is true how the heck would those buses go through the loops at the Resorts to pick up and unload? The little roads are barely big enough for the current buses to take the corners. A double one would never be able to maneuver those curves, for example in Old Key West.

DizFiz

I think the bendy buses will be used mostly to transport to the hotels main entrance I would think they wouldn't use them inside the resorts themselves but who knows.... and I assume the enlargement of the Downtown Disney loops assume that bendys will be used there.

Uddy

The bus sections are shorter. They are not two full length buses together, but two smaller buses. The capacity goes up about 30%, not 50%. Actually I've been told by a "bus driver" they will have a tighter turn radius. Now that's one rumor sourced from a bus driver I would believe.

Polydweller

The articulated (bendy) buses take less turning space than you'd think. The regular bus has an outside turning radius of 40' 10" while the articulated bus has a radius of 44' 8", slightly less than 4 ft more. So, although they will have problems in some tight areas the problem areas are most certainly far fewer than you might think.

As for capacity, the regular bus can seat upto 41 (depending on configuration) and the articulated 62 (51% more). The total capacity including standing is upto 80 for the regular bus and 112 for the articulated a 40% increase. All info comes from the manufacturer's spec sheet.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The articulated (bendy) buses take less turning space than you'd think. The regular bus has an outside turning radius of 40' 10" while the articulated bus has a radius of 44' 8", slightly less than 4 ft more. So, although they will have problems in some tight areas the problem areas are most certainly far fewer than you might think.

As for capacity, the regular bus can seat upto 41 (depending on configuration) and the articulated 62 (51% more). The total capacity including standing is upto 80 for the regular bus and 112 for the articulated a 40% increase. All info comes from the manufacturer's spec sheet.
Bendybuses.com ??? :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom