The new articulated bendy Bus

Goofyernmost

The articulated (bendy) buses take less turning space than you'd think. The regular bus has an outside turning radius of 40' 10" while the articulated bus has a radius of 44' 8", slightly less than 4 ft more. So, although they will have problems in some tight areas the problem areas are most certainly far fewer than you might think.

As for capacity, the regular bus can seat upto 41 (depending on configuration) and the articulated 62 (51% more). The total capacity including standing is upto 80 for the regular bus and 112 for the articulated a 40% increase. All info comes from the manufacturer's spec sheet.
Absolutely true, they have a better ability to make the loops then the straight 41 footers do. When you training on a straight forward bus one of the things they tell you is to make a wide loop..."they don't bend in the middle you know". Well, articulated buses do. They do have to redo the bus stops because the front and the rear sections have to have the room to pull in straight at a bus stop to make sure that both sections are flush with the curb for safe loading and unloading.

Tim_4

ANyone who has ridden a bendy bus in NYC, SF, CHI, LA, etc knows that it fits the exact same turn radius as the other busses....its quite amazing to see these huge busses take a teeny tiny tight turn from Amsterday Avenue onto 81st street and fit like a glove...its physics.
More geometry than physics, but I won't quibble.

;-)

GenerationX

The bendy buses could make sharper turns if they just increased the bendy part. Rather than just bend at the articulated joint, they could bend at each row. That would give the bus the desired accordion look and turn radius performance.

PhotoDave219

In a thread here about EPCOT someone mentioned that the bus drop offs were being enlarged to accommodate the double "bendy" buses. If that is true how the heck would those buses go through the loops at the Resorts to pick up and unload? The little roads are barely big enough for the current buses to take the corners. A double one would never be able to maneuver those curves, for example in Old Key West.

They will not be going to OKW for that very reason.

Its my understanding Carribean Beach, Pop, ArtofAni and possibly all stars ONLY.

Goofyernmost

The bendy buses could make sharper turns if they just increased the bendy part. Rather than just bend at the articulated joint, they could bend at each row. That would give the bus the desired accordion look and turn radius performance.
Based on that design they could turn sharp enough to check their own taillights to see if they are working or maybe even run into the back of themselves. Wouldn't that be a hoot!:eek::D

discos

Its my understanding Carribean Beach, Pop, ArtofAni and possibly all stars ONLY.
Yea, I was told by a bus driver that the articulated busses will only be used for Pop, Art of Animation and All stars since those resorts have a higher volume of guests traveling at one time. She didn't mention the Caribbean Beach, and since we were staying at that resort I would think she would have told us. Could be wrong though.

Mr Bill

What if instead of bending at halfway or bending at each row, the buses were extra long and had maybe six separate sections that bent. Then Disney could build separate roadways for the buses to travel on so they don't get stuck in the rest of the resort's traffic. They'd probably have to elevate those roads. Maybe it'd be safer to run the vehicles on a rail or something instead of being manually piloted.

luv

Thank God someone said "articulated."

Being a little slow sometimes, I was picturing a double bus as one of those double-decker things like they have in England and wondering how the heck it was bendy.

Love the term "bendy", though. Has many interesting applications!! :)

PhotoDave219

Yea, I was told by a bus driver that the articulated busses will only be used for Pop, Art of Animation and All stars since those resorts have a higher volume of guests traveling at one time. She didn't mention the Caribbean Beach, and since we were staying at that resort I would think she would have told us. Could be wrong though.

Ive heard from some people CBR yes and CBR no. Not sure 100% either way.

DManRightHere

;-)

;-)

I call engineering...or chemistry.

Also I thought they were making the loops bigger because they do take a wider turning radius. Yes they do have a shorter wheel base and able to make tighter turns, but the rear section is basically a trailer and it may cut the corner to sharp and possibly run over curbs or anything else.

DManRightHere

What if instead of bending at halfway or bending at each row, the buses were extra long and had maybe six separate sections that bent. Then Disney could build separate roadways for the buses to travel on so they don't get stuck in the rest of the resort's traffic. They'd probably have to elevate those roads. Maybe it'd be safer to run the vehicles on a rail or something instead of being manually piloted.

Hmm..I dont think we have the technology for this idea. If they could they could even put wraps on the vehicles and advertise movies too.

Great Idea though!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hmm..I dont think we have the technology for this idea. If they could they could even put wraps on the vehicles and advertise movies too.

Great Idea though!
Actually we sort of do. In Australia, semi trains are quite common. The problem is they do not turn well. You need a long straight run and they require a rather large turning radius. The bendy busses are already pushing the limits of what will work at WDW. Any longer and you are looking as some major infrastructure work.

eco_transport_truck.jpg

Goofyernmost

I call engineering...or chemistry.

Also I thought they were making the loops bigger because they do take a wider turning radius. Yes they do have a shorter wheel base and able to make tighter turns, but the rear section is basically a trailer and it may cut the corner to sharp and possibly run over curbs or anything else.
Although it would seem that way at first thought, the fact is that they take less. It's called tracking. Imagine the trams, if it helps, they contain basically a number of trailers, yet due to the configuration of the train, it tracks almost completely in the line of the lead vehicle. I don't know if studies have been done, but I'd bet that there isn't a huge difference between where the first tire tracks and the very last on does. It has to do more with the wheel base of each vehicle, not the overall length of the train/bus.:)

Believe me, after years of driving 40 foot municipal buses, there isn't a curb in the city that hasn't been violated by the tires on the bus. Besides the idea that they hold more passengers, the big sell for them has been the increased maneuverability in tight spaces. They do need more space to completely straighten out and sit squarely next to the curbs at bus stops. Backing up? Well, that's quite another story. :eek:

WishIwasThere

If you are going to do that...might a well make it a monorail.

WishIwasThere

Actually we sort of do. In Australia, semi trains are quite common. The problem is they do not turn well. You need a long straight run and they require a rather large turning radius. The bendy busses are already pushing the limits of what will work at WDW. Any longer and you are looking as some major infrastructure work.

eco_transport_truck.jpg
That is awesome...I remeber the first time seeing a tandem when I was a kid, and I thought that was cool (first time on TV was in the opening of CHiPs, Ponch and Jon, epitome of cool to a 7 yr old)...This blows that away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom