The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Donaldfan1934

I'm beginning to think that an original idea for a non-IP-derived ride couldn't be conceived by the current Disney. All it can do is desecrate or slather something on what's already there.
I don't think its that they can't concieve a non-IP based idea, but rather that the top brass won't allow them to.

Matt_Black

I'm beginning to think that an original idea for a non-IP-derived ride couldn't be conceived by the current Disney. All it can do is desecrate or slather something on what's already there.

I don't think its that they can't concieve a non-IP based idea, but rather that the top brass won't allow them to.

A bit of a moot point, because this isn't about a ride, nor is it replacing anything. This is a completely optional addition that no one is forcing you to watch. If you're passing by Liberty Square and see this is being performed, you can go right by and into the HoP, HM, or into Fantasyland or Frontierland.

Donaldfan1934

It's a Disney-adapted creation. Disney's artistry brought it to life onscreen. Not Lucas', not Henson's. So it has a place in a Disney park. See, you don't get it. You never will. Pity.
THIS is the Disney Difference. While I'm very happy that Disney has let Muppet's, Marvel, and Lucasfilm maintain their roots, they will never truly be Disney to me and this is why. The adaptation argument to be brought up more often whenever someone tries to make the flawed argument that a bought IP is the same as an adapted IP.

Matt_Black

THIS is the Disney Difference. While I'm very happy that Disney has let Muppet's, Marvel, and Lucasfilm maintain their roots, they will never truly be Disney to me and this is why. The adaptation argument to be brought up more often whenever someone tries to make the flawed argument that a bought IP is the same as an adapted IP.

So, what about Pixar? Are they Disney? Going by the standards you apply to the others, the answer would be no. And yet, that's not really the perception here on the boards.

FigmentJedi

You're gonna get the John lassetter response. And how he started with Disney, blah blah blah.
And always dismissing Pixar's roots with Lucasfilm and Lucasfilm's collaborative history with Disney since the 80s.

Really, out of the acquired IPs family, Marvel's the one that feels the most out of place, but even they had a little bit of a publishing history with Disney beforehand in the 90s.

Matt_Black

And always dismissing Pixar's roots with Lucasfilm and Lucasfilm's collaborative history with Disney since the 80s.

Really, out of the acquired IPs family, Marvel's the one that feels the most out of place, but even they had a little bit of a publishing history with Disney beforehand in the 90s.

Quite right. The example that immediately comes to mind is that they published the Gargoyles comic adaptation for Disney. In fact, Gargoyles came about because Eisner wanted to buy Marvel in the 90s, so some of the guys in the TV animation department tried to come up with a flexible setting that would allow for Marvel-esque stories and characters.

FigmentJedi

Quite right. The example that immediately comes to mind is that they published the Gargoyles comic adaptation for Disney. In fact, Gargoyles came about because Eisner wanted to buy Marvel in the 90s, so some of the guys in the TV animation department tried to come up with a flexible setting that would allow for Marvel-esque stories and characters.
Hence Goliath's roadtrip in the second season. All of that was about setting up spinoffs.

Matt_Black

Hence Goliath's roadtrip in the second season. All of that was about setting up spinoffs.

And the only one we ever got was Bad Guys, and that came 10 years afterwards through SLG Publishing. And then Disney hiked up the licensing fees, causing the books to get cancelled. Grrrr....

FigmentJedi

And the only one we ever got was Bad Guys, and that came 10 years afterwards through SLG Publishing. And then Disney hiked up the licensing fees, causing the books to get cancelled. Grrrr....
And we never got the ending to that one multipart story in SLG's Haunted Mansion book about the Mansion getting sucked into the netherworld after hitting a thousand ghosts.

Matt_Black

And we never got the ending to that one multipart story in SLG's Haunted Mansion book about the Mansion getting sucked into the netherworld after hitting a thousand ghosts.

Never read that one. I read the first issue or two of Wonderland, which was good, and the first issue of Tron, which confused the heck out of me, considering it was a follow-up/ sequel to various video games I've never played. If you're just coming from the movie, you have no idea what is going on.

But let's be honest- Gargoyles was the stand-out of SLG's Disney line.

GeneralKnowledge

It's a Disney-adapted creation. Disney's artistry brought it to life onscreen. Not Lucas', not Henson's. So it has a place in a Disney park. See, you don't get it. You never will. Pity.

You're just trolling now man, good lord. Thank god Walt used his original artistic vision when he created the Aunt Jemima pancake house in Disneyland. Imagine the horror if he brought in outside IP for that.

Castle Cake Apologist

You're just trolling now man, good lord. Thank god Walt used his original artistic vision when he created the Aunt Jemima pancake house in Disneyland. Imagine the horror if he brought in outside IP for that.

Actually, this one I kinda get. Winnie the Pooh as we know it (the character) was created solely by Disney. The Disney characters from the Pooh series look nothing like their book counterparts, and the personalities were given to them by Disney, the songs were written by Disney, etc.

Muppets, Marvel, Lucasfilm, etc. were outright bought by Disney as is and already developed. I'm going to bregrudringly admit that I kinda agree with him on Pooh.

zengoth

Sponsorship is different than IPs, right? At least it used to be... I still cringe at Monsanto being in Tomorrowland back in the day.

The Empress Lilly

Actually, this one I kinda get. Winnie the Pooh as we know it (the character) was created solely by Disney. The Disney characters from the Pooh series look nothing like their book counterparts, and the personalities were given to them by Disney, the songs were written by Disney, etc.

Muppets, Marvel, Lucasfilm, etc. were outright bought by Disney as is and already developed. I'm going to bregrudringly admit that I kinda agree with him on Pooh.
Quite so. The criticism of Frozen in Norway consisted of Frozen being an original Disney product, no longer a Scandinavian one.

GeneralKnowledge

I get what you're saying and agree aside from the Muppets. Although they have only recently been bought by Disney, they've had a presence in the parks for over 25 years. I feel like that makes them feel more like they have always been part of Disney and exempts them from that treatment.

I would of course love Imagineering to come up with some original content, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards anytime soon. Maybe if the Everest gift shop had higher sales figures we could get the suits on board with something new and original.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom