The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Magenta Panther

And when you think about it, his whole hatred is confusing. He doesn't like Muppets, or puppetry in general, and doesn't think either belongs in Disney. And yet, what's one of the most important Disney films? What movie provided the song that has become the de facto Disney theme?

Pinocchio1.jpg

That's right, a movie about a puppet. If Magenta Panther stuck to his guns, nothing Disney made past 1940 should be allowed in the parks, because it's all fruit of the poisoned puppetry.

Yeah, but then he'd argue that because Pinocchio was a box-office disappointment back in the day, it made Walt realize that puppets should not be the focus of any more films going forward.

I think you guys are missing the point of the movie. If puppets are so great, then why did Pinocchio want to become a real boy? :D

Biff215

Sorry if this has already been asked, as I've been in WDW for ten days and mostly disconnected from the boards. Is this more about the fact that HoP will be going down later this year due to the election? It would at least add some life to LS in the short term, then if popular stick around for the long term. Just a thought.

MagicHappens1971

Sorry if this has already been asked, as I've been in WDW for ten days and mostly disconnected from the boards. Is this more about the fact that HoP will be going down later this year due to the election? It would at least add some life to LS in the short term, then if popular stick around for the long term. Just a thought.
It goes down every time there is a new president and I don't think they've ever tried anything like this before. :/

Donaldfan1934

I mean absolutely no offense here, because we're usually on the same page with things... But this is hands down one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

Regarding this announcement, I can't believe everybody is suddenly on board out of nowhere. We've known that this was going to be themed to American history this whole time. Everybody is suddenly acting like they thought that this was going to be recreations of scenes from the ABC show or something and now we've learned that it's about American history and everything is suddenly okay somehow.

Thematically, this is terrible. Liberty Square is meant to be a reverent reflection on our early history as a nation. It is meant to present an idealized snapshot in time. Yes, Haunted Mansion is there, but that's a weak excuse. The interior of Haunted Mansion is where the ghosts are and they do not affect the place making of the land itself. This show definitely will.

This is absolutely a slap in the face to the phenomenal work of the early Imagineers who so brilliantly designed what basically amounted to our version of New Orleans Square. Though, based in Disney's complete regard for the sister square on the west coast with its recent botched redo, nothing should really be surprising anymore.

Sadly, though, this is not anything new as the theme of Liberty Square has been slowly whittled away for years now. Between the Christmas shop and characters of Liberty Tree Tavern (which thankfully is no more), this is just the latest in a string of questionable decisions that modern Disney has made over the last twenty or so years.

I completely adore the Muppets, so this has nothing whatsoever to do with that. This is akin to Frozen in Norway and GotG in ToT or Epcot. The fact that everybody is jumping on board is exactly why Disney keeps making these questionable decisions. Nobody holds them accountable anymore.
Thank you! While I agree with @egg about HoP being an incredibly boring way to educate the masses, the fact that this Muppet decision is being praised is outright hypocritical considering the other things we've criticized.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
See, there's that defense again. American history has not changed, how could it suddenly be stale? Other than the fact that apparently our society has reached a point where we can't possibly learn about where we came from without characters holding our hands and telling us jokes to help us get through it.

The point is that the tone of this show will not fit in Liberty Square. The area that this is going into is not meant to be an area that hosts a comedy show, be it educational or not.

This isn't like Wonders of Life, where the 80s/90s aesthetic was stale almost from the start. This is an accurate (granted abridged) recreation of an actual period of time that exists to reflect on actual things that actually happened. The story of our nation is incredibly compelling and shouldn't require a crutch like the Muppets to make it interesting. It's lazy.
Wasn't talking about American history being stale. Just the area. I don't believe the area is stale, but just putting that out there that some might.

gmajew

Premium Member
I perfectly understand the rest, but I love walking through Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe, any time of the year. Now, I never got to experience what was there before it, but to me, it's one of my favorite parts.

Yeah the xmas shoppe is one of the best stores. Love going in every year with my wife and kids. But then again xmas is our favorite time of year.

As far as the rest of it this area of the park does need some additions as it is just a walk way to the other section of the parks. Been going since the park opened as a kid barely able to walk so I have seen it all and this area is really just a walkway from one section to the next.

I love it now as I am older but really what harm is there in having street show entertainment that may get people to stop and explore a section until now they just walked right through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom