The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Disneyhead'71

Every post you make on this subject, trying to convince people you're right? THIS is what I imagine....

ktpng.gif
He can type all he wants. Good luck convincing me that I haven't enjoyed The Muppets since before he was born, I'm sure.

Castle Cake Apologist

I find it sad that the main defense here seems to be that learning about history is boring and that people could only possibly be inspired and educated if it involves characters.

Since apparently I was wrong and this is a perfect thematic fit for the area, I guess my main question now becomes... why is this necessary in the first place? Liberty Square has somehow survived 45 years without a Muppets show. Why suddenly now are they adding one? It all just feels odd and very random.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I find it sad that the main defense here seems to be that learning about history is boring and that people could only possibly be inspired and educated if it involves characters.

Since apparently I was wrong and this is a perfect thematic fit for the area, I guess my main question now becomes... why is this necessary in the first place? Liberty Square has somehow survived 45 years without a Muppets show.
Getting stale to some, maybe?

Castle Cake Apologist

Getting stale to some, maybe?

See, there's that defense again. American history has not changed, how could it suddenly be stale? Other than the fact that apparently our society has reached a point where we can't possibly learn about where we came from without characters holding our hands and telling us jokes to help us get through it.

The point is that the tone of this show will not fit in Liberty Square. The area that this is going into is not meant to be an area that hosts a comedy show, be it educational or not.

This isn't like Wonders of Life, where the 80s/90s aesthetic was stale almost from the start. This is an accurate (granted abridged) recreation of an actual period of time that exists to reflect on actual things that actually happened. The story of our nation is incredibly compelling and shouldn't require a crutch like the Muppets to make it interesting. It's lazy.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
See, there's that defense again. American history has not changed, how could it suddenly be stale? Other than the fact that apparently our society has reached a point where we can't possibly learn about where we came from without characters holding our hands and telling us jokes to help us get through it.

The point is that the tone of this show will not fit in Liberty Square. The area that this is going into is not meant to be an area that hosts a comedy show, be it educational or not.

This isn't like Wonders of Life, where the 80s/90s aesthetic was stale almost from the start. This is an accurate (granted abridged) recreation of an actual period of time that exists to reflect on actual things that actually happened. The story of our nation is incredibly compelling and shouldn't require a crutch like the Muppets to make it interesting. It's lazy.

I would understand this if you're talking about Epcot, and its original intent upon opening. But this is MK, where people come to be entertained. I think your making a big deal out of one additional show that they decided to add in Liberty Square. They didn't replace HoP. They added additional entertainment as they should be doing..Overlays are lazy. Adding an additional show to a land is not.

Castle Cake Apologist

I would understand this if you're talking about Epcot, and its original intent upon opening. But this is MK, where people come to be entertained. I think your making a big deal out of one additional show that they decided to add in Liberty Square. They didn't replace HoP. They added additional entertainment as they should be doing..Overlays are lazy. Adding an additional show to a land is not.

That's exactly it, though. I have absolutely no issue with them adding a show to Liberty Square, but why a comedy show featuring The Muppets? Why couldn't Entertainment have come up with a show that fits the reverent tone of the area? It just feels wrong and very random.

Disneyhead'71

The Muppets are probably too mature and certainly too nuanced for the current MK target demo.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's exactly it, though. I have absolutely no issue with them adding a show to Liberty Square, but why a comedy show featuring The Muppets? Why couldn't Entertainment have come up with a show that fits the reverent tone of the area? It just feels wrong and very random.

reverent tone? You forget the haunted mansion is right there too. I don't see adding a show in MK with a bit of humor being wrong...for any of the lands.

FigmentJedi

Didn't Winnie the Pooh run part of his Pooh-litical campaign for President in the 70s out of Liberty Square?

Castle Cake Apologist

reverent tone? You forget the haunted mansion is right there too. I don't see adding a show in MK with a bit of humor being wrong...for any of the lands.

Haunted Mansion is not "right there." It's around the corner and way down the street tucked into its own little corner. It was likely only placed in Liberty Square at all because there was nowhere else to put it that made any sense.

Besides, as I said before, that's such a weak justification. The outside of Haunted Mansion does not in any way detract from the theming of the area. The ghosts and fun are all inside the attraction and cannot be seen or heard or experienced while walking through the area. This will be in your face and will certainly change the tone of the land.

Where this show is going is in the actual square of Liberty Square, which was certainly designed to be a respectful reflection on our early history as a nation.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Haunted Mansion is not "right there" it's around the corner and way down the street tucked into its own little corner. It was likely only placed in Liberty Square at all because there was nowhere else to put it that made any sense.

Besides, as I said before, that's such a weak excuse. The outside of Haunted Mansion does not in any way detract from the theming of the area. The ghosts and fun are all inside the attraction and cannot be seen or heard or experienced while walking through the area. This will be in your face and will certainly change the tone of the land.

Where this show is going is in the actual square of Liberty Square, which was certainly designed to be a respectful reflection on our early history as a nation.

it is still part of Liberty Square. You are acting like those grounds are sacred or something...too sacred to have a humorous show. Unless there is an Indian burial ground under the haunted mansion, I don't think it is.

The Muppets have done time period pieces like this before. This is why I see this as a good fit for them...the theme of the show fits their personalities. Humor does not equal disrespect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom