The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Disneyhead'71

Honestly, I'm sort of meh on this one. I don't love the idea but I don't reflexively hate it either. Pending the execution, I don't find this concept as misguided as Frozen in Norway or GOTG in Tower of Terror. If they had replaced HoP with this show, that would have been too much.

That said...

This new show bothers me for 2 reasons: 1) it's yet another case of a designing something around an existing IP, and 2) it's a case of trying to integrate something into an area where it really doesn't gel. This should be over at DHS in Muppet Courtyard, not Liberty Square.

You get the sense the main purpose of this show isn't to provide additional entertainment in Liberty Square, but rather to market the Muppets. It isn't about creating something new - it's about pushing an acquired IP for synergy.

And it demonstrates yet again the difference between "old-school Disney" (for lack of a better term) and current Disney. Old school Disney gave us entertainment like the World Showcase Players, a non-IP comedy troupe that provided street entertainment with a Disney spin on classic folklore and Shakespeare. It was unique, completely original, with no character or franchise tie-in. If current Disney were to recreate the concept, I'm willing to bet they'd do it with Winnie the Pooh or Mary Poppins because it would give them the chance to put the characters out there and market one of their franchises.

That's the issue I have. Today's Disney is less an entertainment company focused on creating new things and more of a IP holding company looking to leverage it's brand. This Muppet show reflects that, and that's unfortunate.
You think the Muppets in Tri cornered hats, ruffled shirts, and teaching about American history would be better in Muppet Courtyard? Seriously?

This is why designing by survey is a bad idea. Most people can't see "vision" even when handed a picture.

Magenta Panther

Because being a block of wood only a few days old, he didn't realize that being effectively immortal would be awesome.

Well, that's an interesting theory, except that Stromboli, a master puppeteer, said that when Pinocchio got too old, he'd made good firewood.

pino5-e1261929082735.jpg

Yeah, being a puppet rocks! :D

Disneyhead'71

Can you please give this a rest. We get it. You hate the Muppets. Unfortunately for you, a lot of us love them and it doesn't look like Disney will be getting rid of those characters anytime soon. Some of us like the new Muppets show (crazy right?) and we don't need your constant bashing of it to make us feel bad. Just because you don't like/want something doesn't mean others won't like/want it either. Please think of everyone and not just yourself.
Appearantly, in America, now-a-days, bombastic ignorance is a virtue.

People can't just say, "I don't care for that. And I don't believe it will succeed." They have to belittle, berate, and harangue anyone with a differing opinion. People would rather humiliate than educate. It's good fun informing people of their amazingly mindboogling stupidity for thinking that a show that was nominated for 22 prime time Emmy awards and winning 4 is crap and they are idiotic infantile buffoons for ever thinking there is quality and potential in some stoopid puppets.

RoysCabin

It's funny to think how Liberty Square was probably the most popular area in the Magic Kingdom back when the park opened, largely thanks to how Bicentennial fever was sweeping the nation. Yet LS really deserves the love many give it; in terms of its sheer design I honestly think it's WDW's worthy answer to New Orleans Square, just sadly one that hasn't gotten quite the same level of love over time.

I'm curious to see how this goes; I'm not gung ho about the idea of shoehorning the Muppets in there, much as I love them, but if it's a small show I could see some fun coming from it. Still, yet again, when pressed for ideas Disney can't seem to put together anything original, which is the part of the story that just brings me down a bit. Original entertainment was WEDs/WDIs bread and butter for ages, it's amazing to see them made to move away from it.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

People can't just say, "I don't care for that. And I don't believe it will succeed." They have to belittle, berate, and harangue anyone with a differing opinion. People would rather humiliate than educate. It's good fun informing people of their amazingly mindboogling stupidity for thinking that a show that was nominated for 22 prime time Emmy awards and winning 4 is crap and they are idiotic infantile buffoons for ever thinking there is quality and potential in some stoopid puppets.

Then there's the flip side, when fans attack those who dislike what they love by saying "you have no soul" and act like you've attacked their religion. It's a little weird, to say the least. For my part, I've never argued that the puppets were successful in their day. But those days look to be pretty much over, given recent events, and it's pretty evident, and I'm hardly alone in this opinion, that they haven't done much for Disney and have been a pretty poor overall investment. Bottom line, I'm not going to apologize for preferring to see genuine Disney-created/adapted entertainment and attractions in Disney parks, since those are the main draw for MOST GUESTS. I don't want to see Muppets in the parks, or Star Wars or Marvel or all the other ill-fitting acquisitions. I don't like it that Star Wars is being crammed into Disneyland - not DCA, Disneyland - and it sickens me that it's taken over the one tribute to the art of Disney animation in DHS and is threatening a wonderful exhibition dedicated to the memory of Walt Disney. Good stuff is being desecrated by greedy corporate executives' desire to cram IP into the parks anywhere and everywhere, and I don't like it and I'm going to continue to say so and if you can't handle it, the ignore button is your friend. If you have to have your American history spoon-fed to you by puppets or otherwise you can't enjoy Liberty Square or the Hall of Presidents, then, hey, whatever, friend. I feel sorry for you.

Disneyhead'71

Then there's the flip side, when fans attack those who dislike what they love by saying "you have no soul" and act like you've attacked their religion. It's a little weird, to say the least. For my part, I've never argued that the puppets were successful in their day. But those days look to be pretty much over, given recent events, and it's pretty evident, and I'm hardly alone in this opinion, that they haven't done much for Disney and have been a pretty poor overall investment. Bottom line, I'm not going to apologize for preferring to see genuine Disney-created/adapted entertainment and attractions in Disney parks, since those are the main draw for MOST GUESTS. I don't want to see Muppets in the parks, or Star Wars or Marvel or all the other ill-fitting acquisitions. I don't like it that Star Wars is being crammed into Disneyland - not DCA, Disneyland - and it sickens me that it's taken over the one tribute to the art of Disney animation in DHS and is threatening a wonderful exhibition dedicated to the memory of Walt Disney. Good stuff is being desecrated by greedy corporate executives' desire to cram IP into the parks anywhere and everywhere, and I don't like it and I'm going to continue to say so and if you can't handle it, the ignore button is your friend. If you have to have your American history spoon-fed to you by puppets or otherwise you can't enjoy Liberty Square or the Hall of Presidents, then, hey, whatever, friend. I feel sorry for you.
I stopped reading about a third of the way in. You are loud, simplistic, and a bit tedious.

Matt_Black

Well, that's an interesting theory, except that Stromboli, a master puppeteer, said that when Pinocchio got too old, he'd made good firewood.

pino5-e1261929082735.jpg

Yeah, being a puppet rocks! :D

Effectively immortal, meaning he will not die of old age or starvation or anything like that. If you read comics, you'd know the difference between immortal, which is what I said, and invulnerable, which is what you apparently inferred, as that's Vandal Savage's whole shtick in DC Comics.

Donaldfan1934

Please explain?
I think @egg's original post stated the HoP situation pretty well. It being boring is a near universal consensus and there are YouTube videos that get the message across better. On the other hand, I feel @DisneyExpert made a solid argument for why the Muppet's shouldn't be there. Basically, I think both sides have great points and I agree with a lot of them.

Mike S

I think @egg's original post stated the HoP situation pretty well. It being boring is a near universal consensus and there are YouTube videos that get the message across better. On the other hand, I feel @DisneyExpert made a solid argument for why the Muppet's shouldn't be there. Basically, I think both sides have great points and I agree with a lot of them.
Is that why there's applause after nearly every showing I've been to?

AndrewsJ

As much as I love The Muppets I have to agree with you on their popularity. We've had 2 movies and a cancelled tv show. The first movie did well because of the nostalgia effect. People younger than me may love The Muppets for what they are but they just aren't interested in seeing them. Even people my age grew up with them and love them just find them tired and past their prime. I think when Jim Henson died the spirit of The Muppets died with him. Disney just hasn't been successful with their usage. I would love for this to change and anything is possible. I guess we will have to wait and see. On the other hand I am excited to see them in MK and even EPCOT I just hope it's better than what Disney has done with them already.

Disneyhead'71

For those talking about respecting history and treating it with reverence, did anyone here have a problem with "Hamilton"? "Ben & Me"?
Listening to "Hamilton" now.

And yes, there are a lot of people who refuse to see "Hamilton". And HATE the idea of it. My brother being one of them. He's a racist bigot, even though he will say he is not, he honestly believes he is just being logical and stating the obvious.

Castle Cake Apologist

I stopped reading about a third of the way in. You are loud, simplistic, and a bit tedious.

The same could honestly be said of you sometimes. Earlier you went on a rant about others belittling people while you yourself were doing nothing but.

Why is it okay for you to like something, but it's not okay for somebody else not to? Calling somebody ignorant because they dislike something you happen to like is a little hypocritical.

See below and have fun picking apart the rampant irony throughout as you do exactly what you're going on about others doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom