The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Mike S

NearTheEars

I find it sad that the main defense here seems to be that learning about history is boring and that people could only possibly be inspired and educated if it involves characters.

Since apparently I was wrong and this is a perfect thematic fit for the area, I guess my main question now becomes... why is this necessary in the first place? Liberty Square has somehow survived 45 years without a Muppets show. Why suddenly now are they adding one? It all just feels odd and very random.

I believe several folks have said they see LS as more of a thoroughfare to other attractions. Obviously it's OK to disagree with that. But if some people do see it that way, there's your answer.

NearTheEars

That's exactly it, though. I have absolutely no issue with them adding a show to Liberty Square, but why a comedy show featuring The Muppets? Why couldn't Entertainment have come up with a show that fits the reverent tone of the area? It just feels wrong and very random.

I'm excited for this new Muppet show, but if I had to chose between this and the return of Fife & Drum to LS, I'd definitely pick the latter. I miss them in EPCOT.

Rlandrigan

Guys - A sense of whimsy for a moment. Muppets telling american history sounds like....fun. Ya know, schoolhouse rock? Also, it strengthens the Muppets in teh minds of visitors - which is a good thing, they're great, and telling historical-ish stories to audience, great, it's a real performance with real actors, great, and it's a new thing in an area that hasn't seen new in a while. It's a clever, fun thing. Shush.

Next Big Thing

If they really want to take my money, they should replace HoP (as much as I love it) with a 18+, alcohol-friendly, sit down Hamilton show. Charge $150 a ticket and boom, print that money.

I kid, I kid. But I wouldn't put it past present day TDO. ;)

mitchk

hpyhnt 1000

Honestly, I'm sort of meh on this one. I don't love the idea but I don't reflexively hate it either. Pending the execution, I don't find this concept as misguided as Frozen in Norway or GOTG in Tower of Terror. If they had replaced HoP with this show, that would have been too much.

That said...

This new show bothers me for 2 reasons: 1) it's yet another case of a designing something around an existing IP, and 2) it's a case of trying to integrate something into an area where it really doesn't gel. This should be over at DHS in Muppet Courtyard, not Liberty Square.

You get the sense the main purpose of this show isn't to provide additional entertainment in Liberty Square, but rather to market the Muppets. It isn't about creating something new - it's about pushing an acquired IP for synergy.

And it demonstrates yet again the difference between "old-school Disney" (for lack of a better term) and current Disney. Old school Disney gave us entertainment like the World Showcase Players, a non-IP comedy troupe that provided street entertainment with a Disney spin on classic folklore and Shakespeare. It was unique, completely original, with no character or franchise tie-in. If current Disney were to recreate the concept, I'm willing to bet they'd do it with Winnie the Pooh or Mary Poppins because it would give them the chance to put the characters out there and market one of their franchises.

That's the issue I have. Today's Disney is less an entertainment company focused on creating new things and more of a IP holding company looking to leverage it's brand. This Muppet show reflects that, and that's unfortunate.

JohnD

Haunted Mansion is not "right there." It's around the corner and way down the street tucked into its own little corner. It was likely only placed in Liberty Square at all because there was nowhere else to put it that made any sense.

Besides, as I said before, that's such a weak justification. The outside of Haunted Mansion does not in any way detract from the theming of the area. The ghosts and fun are all inside the attraction and cannot be seen or heard or experienced while walking through the area. This will be in your face and will certainly change the tone of the land.

Where this show is going is in the actual square of Liberty Square, which was certainly designed to be a respectful reflection on our early history as a nation.

You "sound" just like Sam Eagle.

Magenta Panther

Every post you make on this subject, trying to convince people you're right? THIS is what I imagine....

ktpng.gif

So that thing actually lives in your head? :eek:

Yeah, the puppet-lovers here also didn't listen to me when I said the new Muppets show's "adult" tone was probably a bad idea and it would probably get cancelled. And in return, I got the usual barrage of drivel and soppy outrage. What happened to that show again...? :D

Matt_Black

So that thing actually lives in your head? :eek:

Yeah, the puppet-lovers here also didn't listen to me when I said the new Muppets show's "adult" tone was probably a bad idea and it would probably get cancelled. And in return, I got the usual barrage of drivel and soppy outrage. What happened to that show again...? :D

You also said Frozen would tank at the box office. So don't pat yourself on the back for your prognostic abilities just yet.

TheOrangeBird01

I don 't recall ever saying it would tank. I said I didn't like it. But I sure was right about that now-cancelled Muppet Show! :D

Can you please give this a rest. We get it. You hate the Muppets. Unfortunately for you, a lot of us love them and it doesn't look like Disney will be getting rid of those characters anytime soon. Some of us like the new Muppets show (crazy right?) and we don't need your constant bashing of it to make us feel bad. Just because you don't like/want something doesn't mean others won't like/want it either. Please think of everyone and not just yourself.

Matt_Black

And when you think about it, his whole hatred is confusing. He doesn't like Muppets, or puppetry in general, and doesn't think either belongs in Disney. And yet, what's one of the most important Disney films? What movie provided the song that has become the de facto Disney theme?

Pinocchio1.jpg

That's right, a movie about a puppet. If Magenta Panther stuck to his guns, nothing Disney made past 1940 should be allowed in the parks, because it's all fruit of the poisoned puppetry.

FigmentJedi

And when you think about it, his whole hatred is confusing. He doesn't like Muppets, or puppetry in general, and doesn't think either belongs in Disney. And yet, what's one of the most important Disney films? What movie provided the song that has become the de facto Disney theme?

Pinocchio1.jpg

That's right, a movie about a puppet. If Magenta Panther stuck to his guns, nothing Disney made past 1940 should be allowed in the parks, because it's all fruit of the poisoned puppetry.

Yeah, but then he'd argue that because Pinocchio was a box-office disappointment back in the day, it made Walt realize that puppets should not be the focus of any more films going forward.

PhotoDave219

Honestly, I'm sort of meh on this one. I don't love the idea but I don't reflexively hate it either. Pending the execution, I don't find this concept as misguided as Frozen in Norway or GOTG in Tower of Terror. If they had replaced HoP with this show, that would have been too much.

That said...

This new show bothers me for 2 reasons: 1) it's yet another case of a designing something around an existing IP, and 2) it's a case of trying to integrate something into an area where it really doesn't gel. This should be over at DHS in Muppet Courtyard, not Liberty Square.

You get the sense the main purpose of this show isn't to provide additional entertainment in Liberty Square, but rather to market the Muppets. It isn't about creating something new - it's about pushing an acquired IP for synergy.

And it demonstrates yet again the difference between "old-school Disney" (for lack of a better term) and current Disney. Old school Disney gave us entertainment like the World Showcase Players, a non-IP comedy troupe that provided street entertainment with a Disney spin on classic folklore and Shakespeare. It was unique, completely original, with no character or franchise tie-in. If current Disney were to recreate the concept, I'm willing to bet they'd do it with Winnie the Pooh or Mary Poppins because it would give them the chance to put the characters out there and market one of their franchises.

That's the issue I have. Today's Disney is less an entertainment company focused on creating new things and more of a IP holding company looking to leverage it's brand. This Muppet show reflects that, and that's unfortunate.

I'm willing to give this one a chance, mostly because Henson was trying to sell the Muppets to Disney when he suddenly died. I give the Muppets a pass on all of our acquired IP conversations because I feel it actually fits. I don't see this as much of a case of leveraging other than " do we do with the Muppets in the parks?!?" If anything, this is more throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Dizney Crew

Not expecting much from this "show", we like the Muppets and the themeing/Liberty Square setting isn't a bad idea IMO. If anything I like where its going as this part of the park to me, has to the most boring outside of HM. Hopefully it works out.

Magenta Panther

Can you please give this a rest. We get it. You hate the Muppets. Unfortunately for you, a lot of us love them and it doesn't look like Disney will be getting rid of those characters anytime soon. Some of us like the new Muppets show (crazy right?) and we don't need your constant bashing of it to make us feel bad. Just because you don't like/want something doesn't mean others won't like/want it either. Please think of everyone and not just yourself.

You know, for the record, I have absolutely no problem admitting when I'm wrong. Words cannot express how absolutely delighted I am that I was wrong about Frozen Ever After (aside from its location). I was so convinced and so afraid that it was going to be another cheap-looking Little Mermaid. Well, my jaw was on the floor when I saw WDWMagic's video ride through. The ride was so lovely, so warm, so enchanting, and those AAs!!!!! And I was so happy to know that the Imagineers have still got it, they can still do it, they can still build amazing, magical things. I was afraid those days were gone forever, at least for rides in the U.S. parks. Believe me, when I'm beating down on Disney, I'm hoping I'm wrong, I WANT to be wrong. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case.

Now this little Muppets show will be enjoyed by some, and it might be quality. But the question is not whether or not it will be good. The question is whether the Muppets belong in Liberty Square. I think that they do not and putting them there is in poor taste and a tacky intrusion. And I think the same about Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot, and to a lesser degree, Frozen. I don't think I'm wrong about any of those things and none of the silly insults about "hating" the Muppets is going to change that. I also realize that I'm not going to change anyone's opinion either. Fair enough? Let's move on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom