The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Cmdr_Crimson

I didn't notice that so much. The first few episodes, Gonzo was a bit... quiet for Gonzo, but that kind of ties in with his appearance on the first season of The Muppet Show.

The biggest change was making Uncle Deadly into a sort of Machiavellian Tim Gunn, which was actually pretty brilliant.

Even stranger is the somewhat disappearance of Walter...While he was shown in the pilot ads for the show...
muppetsabcgonzo.jpg

They decided to nix him out...However some sites speculate that he was going to be a part of Rowlf's waitstaff at his Bar in the New show..

MrHappy

I didn't notice that so much. The first few episodes, Gonzo was a bit... quiet for Gonzo, but that kind of ties in with his appearance on the first season of The Muppet Show.

The biggest change was making Uncle Deadly into a sort of Machiavellian Tim Gunn, which was actually pretty brilliant.
I remember Kermit lying a few times and the muppets behavior towards Piggy was more extreme/negative than normal and not in a funny way. I stopped watching but I recall being turned off by that. And yeah, Gonzo was quiet and Fonzie was a wreck.

Princess Leia

There were some things I liked about the show (Miss Piggy's show & Uncle Deadly), but it could have been so much more. Kermit was a jerk, Fozzie... Idk what even happened there, and it took them forever to focus on Gonzo. They focused an odd amount of time on Scooter (I like Scooter, but it was a weird ratio of time between him and Gonzo). The negativity between the Muppets was a bit of a turn off too. I kept watching, and it did get better, but it was too little too late. If it ever comes back to TV, they should stick to the Up Late with Miss Piggy theme and nix the talking heads.

mitchk

I wish they had done this before the now cancelled show on ABC. I just read a rumor that we may see a Muppet presence at EPCOT as well.

Let me guess Sceamscape... They are on point sometimes, more recently than most, and yes, as far as I have heard plans are in full swing to bring the Muppet Mobile Lab back to Epcot in the fall. It makes sense... F&W. Adults who may be more familiar with who the Muppets are

Cmdr_Crimson

Which indicates we should see at a minimum Sam, Kermit and Miss Piggy. Not a huge surprise due to the subject matter, but good to see.

From Disney Parks Blog...There are more Muppets in this..
Sam Eagle, the fiercely patriotic American eagle who is forever trying to set a high moral standard for the Muppets, will join Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Great Gonzo and James Jefferson, town crier of Liberty Square, as they gather outside The Hall of Presidents to present historical tales in hysterical fashion as only they can.

GeneralKnowledge

I mean absolutely no offense here, because we're usually on the same page with things... But this is hands down one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

Regarding this announcement, I can't believe everybody is suddenly on board out of nowhere. We've known that this was going to be themed to American history this whole time. Everybody is suddenly acting like they thought that this was going to be recreations of scenes from the ABC show or something and now we've learned that it's about American history and everything is suddenly okay somehow.

Thematically, this is terrible. Liberty Square is meant to be a reverent reflection on our early history as a nation. It is meant to present an idealized snapshot in time. Yes, Haunted Mansion is there, but that's a weak excuse. The interior of Haunted Mansion is where the ghosts are and they do not affect the place making of the land itself. This show definitely will.

This is absolutely a slap in the face to the phenomenal work of the early Imagineers who so brilliantly designed what basically amounted to our version of New Orleans Square. Though, based in Disney's complete regard for the sister square on the west coast with its recent botched redo, nothing should really be surprising anymore.

Sadly, though, this is not anything new as the theme of Liberty Square has been slowly whittled away for years now. Between the Christmas shop and characters of Liberty Tree Tavern (which thankfully is no more), this is just the latest in a string of questionable decisions that modern Disney has made over the last twenty or so years.

I completely adore the Muppets, so this has nothing whatsoever to do with that. This is akin to Frozen in Norway and GotG in ToT or Epcot. The fact that everybody is jumping on board is exactly why Disney keeps making these questionable decisions. Nobody holds them accountable anymore.

I'm as much a critic of Disney's actions and policies over the last 15 years as anyone, but I think you're taking it a bit too far here. I think this is decent idea. Sure they could be using actors to recreate historical figures to make it as authentic as possible, but no one would watch it. The muppets are essentially a universal storytelling medium. They can and have been applied to a number of themes over the decades. There's no reason they can't be used to tell stories from American history, and the comedic flair they will bring will add an extra level of entertainment to it. To me this is no different than the fab 5 doing a show on history, and MK certainly shouldn't be aspiring to be an IP free zone like Epcot.

(Plus seeing the muppets puppeted live will be a cool experience all around)

Magenta Panther

I'm as much a critic of Disney's actions and policies over the last 15 years as anyone, but I think you're taking it a bit too far here. I think this is decent idea. Sure they could be using actors to recreate historical figures to make it as authentic as possible, but no one would watch it.

The Hall of Presidents uses AAs to recreate historical figures, and plenty of people watch them, despite the assertions of some here that it's a snooze-fest (they desperately need hand puppets to focus their attention, apparently). Bottom line, TDO wants to stick IPs anywhere and everywhere, whether they really fit in or not, and so some "genius" within thought this up because the Sam Eagle puppet is a prudish, uptight caricature of patriotism (but mostly jingoism), which TOTALLY fits Liberty Square. Yeah. Right. You bet. :rolleyes:

AndrewsJ

Let me guess Sceamscape... They are on point sometimes, more recently than most, and yes, as far as I have heard plans are in full swing to bring the Muppet Mobile Lab back to Epcot in the fall. It makes sense... F&W. Adults who may be more familiar with who the Muppets are
Yes that's where I read it. I hope you and Screamscape are right!

Matt_Black

The Hall of Presidents uses AAs to recreate historical figures, and plenty of people watch them, despite the assertions of some here that it's a snooze-fest (they desperately need hand puppets to focus their attention, apparently). Bottom line, TDO wants to stick IPs anywhere and everywhere, whether they really fit in or not, and so some "genius" within thought this up because the Sam Eagle puppet is a prudish, uptight caricature of patriotism (but mostly jingoism), which TOTALLY fits Liberty Square. Yeah. Right. You bet. :rolleyes:

Every post you make on this subject, trying to convince people you're right? THIS is what I imagine....

ktpng.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom