The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

zengoth

Liberty Square's take on colonial America has been a bit schizo for years. (A year-round Xmas store makes little sense as a representation) I wonder what will become of the actual Heritage House - it's been treated badly over the last few years - emptied out and forced into Halloween service a few times. It was less commercial than what they're selling next to American Adventure, but it always had some interesting items you couldn't find in other Disney stores.

NearTheEars

Problem is (Depending on an Expansion of Muppet Plaza) There's only 2 places they could do something with upper levels with Muppets within that area....

The Upper Level of Mama Melorose's But, this area is fairly tight to have some kind of show...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12899769_10153327995215981_1966595588_n.jpg

Or...The Former M&G Area of Phineas & Ferb and retheme the Apartment building to The Happiness Hotel..
dhs-0124-update-11.jpg

If there was a real happiness hotel I could walk into I would freak out.

Matt_Black

I never understood why they haven't rebooted Muppet Babies for Disney Junion.

There may be a rights issue. While they own the Muppets, they may not own anything related to the series. Like how when Disney/ Marvel reacquired the TV rights for Spidey, they would have had to pay Sony if they wanted to continue producing Spectacular Spider-Man, so they opted instead to start from the ground up with Ultimate Spider-Man.

No Name

The Muppets rumor had me worried at first, but this sounds good!

To most people, the Hall of Presidents is boring. That is all but a fact. No matter how much you love the HoP, your fellow park guests do not have the same appreciation for it. Unless they appreciate being able to take a nap. With Universe of Energy soon shutting its doors, nap locations will become increasingly valuable!

Strip away the classic and nostaglic value and I think it's a pretty terrible attraction. The average history youtube video is both more entertaining and more informative. I'm a fan of the original EPCOT Center, but the HoP cannot be referred to as "edutainment" because the entertainment half is seriously lacking.

I mention HoP for comparison, because in my opinion, this Muppets show is a far better way to teach history in a theme park. Unlike the Hall of Presidents, this will achieve a far better ratio of "edutainment" by educating in a fun and vibrant way. I'd have an issue if they were adding a Muppets show that had no relevance to the area, for the sake of having a Muppets show. But that is clearly not the case here.

Best of all, nothing is leaving to make way for this. It is an addition. A little street show. The HoP stays for certain folks, while this show will appeal to your average crowd. There's really nothing to complain about. I'm sorry if it ruins the atmosphere for you. Sure, there weren't Muppets in 1787. Nor were there strollers. Nor were there tourists wearing T-shirts and mouse ears.

I bet this will spark more interest in history than anything in Liberty Square ever has. This is a definite plus in my book.

Fox&Hound

The Muppets rumor had me worried at first, but this sounds good!

To most people, the Hall of Presidents is boring. That is all but a fact. No matter how much you love the HoP, your fellow park guests do not have the same appreciation for it. Unless they appreciate being able to take a nap. With Universe of Energy soon shutting its doors, nap locations will become increasingly valuable!

Strip away the classic and nostaglic value and I think it's a pretty terrible attraction. The average history youtube video is both more entertaining and more informative. I'm a fan of the original EPCOT Center, but the HoP cannot be referred to as "edutainment" because the entertainment half is seriously lacking.

I mention HoP for comparison, because in my opinion, this Muppets show is a far better way to teach history in a theme park. Unlike the Hall of Presidents, this will achieve a far better ratio of "edutainment" by educating in a fun and vibrant way. I'd have an issue if they were adding a Muppets show that had no relevance to the area, for the sake of having a Muppets show. But that is clearly not the case here.

Best of all, nothing is leaving to make way for this. It is an addition. A little street show. The HoP stays for certain folks, while this show will appeal to your average crowd. There's really nothing to complain about. I'm sorry if it ruins the atmosphere for you. Sure, there weren't Muppets in 1787. Nor were there strollers. Nor were there tourists wearing T-shirts and mouse ears.

I bet this will spark more interest in history than anything in Liberty Square ever has. This is a definite plus in my book.

well-said! It's a wonderful addition when it seems of late there are so many subtractions. This is great news!

FigmentJedi

Jeez, I've been proven right again and again about the poor choice the Disney company made in buying that IP. And yet there are still true believers, and they think I'm being stubborn? Whatever. Those of you who "love me some Muppets!" and are convinced that "if they were done RIGHT, it's not THEIR fault they keep failing, it's DISNEY'S fault, durrr" enjoy the dumbing-down of Liberty Square, enjoy tripping over even more strollers, or perhaps sitting in one, while watching this sad, shabby, latest attempt to make some use of a dead franchise. I've said all I'm going to say about this, aside from expressing my gratitude that this atrocity was leaked to us months before it happened, just like the terrible rumor about the Tower. It allows for some distance and girding of the stomach. See ya.
For someone who hates puppet frogs, you sure sound like a real frog

Castle Cake Apologist

I mean absolutely no offense here, because we're usually on the same page with things... But this is hands down one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

Regarding this announcement, I can't believe everybody is suddenly on board out of nowhere. We've known that this was going to be themed to American history this whole time. Everybody is suddenly acting like they thought that this was going to be recreations of scenes from the ABC show or something and now we've learned that it's about American history and everything is suddenly okay somehow.

Thematically, this is terrible. Liberty Square is meant to be a reverent reflection on our early history as a nation. It is meant to present an idealized snapshot in time. Yes, Haunted Mansion is there, but that's a weak excuse. The interior of Haunted Mansion is where the ghosts are and they do not affect the place making of the land itself. This show definitely will.

This is absolutely a slap in the face to the phenomenal work of the early Imagineers who so brilliantly designed what basically amounted to our version of New Orleans Square. Though, based in Disney's complete regard for the sister square on the west coast with its recent botched redo, nothing should really be surprising anymore.

Sadly, though, this is not anything new as the theme of Liberty Square has been slowly whittled away for years now. Between the Christmas shop and characters of Liberty Tree Tavern (which thankfully is no more), this is just the latest in a string of questionable decisions that modern Disney has made over the last twenty or so years.

I completely adore the Muppets, so this has nothing whatsoever to do with that. This is akin to Frozen in Norway and GotG in ToT or Epcot. The fact that everybody is jumping on board is exactly why Disney keeps making these questionable decisions. Nobody holds them accountable anymore.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Liberty Square is (or at least was) built to represent a specifc time and place in history, drawing from real life examples of architecture and business to establish a plausible reality for guests to explore. Same as Main Street or Frontierland.

The Muppets are fictional characters. They are neither real now, nor were they in the late 18th century. If they ever did go into the past (like in Christmas Carol, or Treasure Island), it was in a world reshaped for them, in another example of fiction (complete with 4th wall breaking). That tone doesn't really fit with the land, and I'd prefer not to have any modern characters featured in this way.

As other have said, having a new Muppet show, in their designated area of DHS, would have been better IMO.
The Muppets work a lot like Mickey and the gang in turns of how malleable they are for a setting and spending much of their time taking on different roles, including those historical past ones you've mentioned. This isn't all that different from Colonial Mickey walking around. Also, the Muppets have done something in this territory before.

tirian

It's a street show, and I think it's a good temporary idea as long as they teach legit American history with the trademark classic Muppets humor. Our nation has a fascinating story to tell. Now Disney needs to restore the original Liberty Square BGM instead of the Sousa marches.

Also, I miss the days of the Fife and Drum, and the nightly Liberty Tree lighting. The Muppets aren't ideal, but at least they bring entertainment back to LS, an area that's functioned as a corridor to Splash Mt. and the HM ever since Disney ripped out the unique shops.

Pleakley

I found the initial rumor so bizarre that I'm almost shocked it's turned out to be (even somewhat) true.

On one hand, I think a live Muppets show could be pretty fun. Pretty much any live entertainment is a good thing IMO as it shows a level of effort. But I also have to agree with the sentiment that it feels like yet another IP shoved into a random spot.

I think quality will really matterI found the initial rumor so bizarre that I'm also shocked it's turned out to be (even somewhat) true.

On one hand, I think a live Muppets show could be pretty fun. Pretty much any live entertainment is a good thing IMO as it shows a level of effort. But I also have to agree with the sentiment that it feels like yet another IP shoved into a random spot.

I think quality will really matter here. And if it's bad, well, at least it's not some permanent overlay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom