The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

mousehockey37

Yep. How dare they tell a story of American history with known characters and a bit of humor. The audacity! :rolleyes:

It's more of the theme of the park. Magic Kingdom is where your true Disney characters reside... i.e. Princes, princesses, etc.

The muppets are established in DHS. Leave them there. I'm leaning towards the side that they're ruining Liberty Sqare by doing this. I'd rather have the Fife & Drums out and have the normal background music.

Not today's weird sounding muppets.

MrPromey

It's an affront to Liberty Square and a sad attempt to put the puppets somewhere, anywhere, to make use of them somehow, now that their movie and TV prospects are dead. Yeesh.

Compared to Anna and Elsa in Norway and possibly GOTG in Epcot Future World, I think this is a pretty mild "affront". If they don't mess with any of the physical area besides infrastructure needs to accommodate, I'm personally cool with this. The good news for you is, if that's the case, all you have to do is check the park map and avoid the area during the times the show is taking place and you can keep from being mortified, yourself - even for a Muppets hater, this isn't bad.

If they were talking about replacing Hall of Presidents or adding them into Hall of Presidents or anything of that nature, I could definitely understand the irrational outrage but for something like this? It seems like a good compromise. People who want the entertainment get it, people who are appalled by it don't have to loose anything for it to exist and it'll be a cheap thing to put together (because cheap and corny is part of the muppets gag) which I'm sure pleases TDO and is one of the things that gives me hope it won't be too invasive - they'd have to spend real money to screw up this part of the park.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's more of the theme of the park. Magic Kingdom is where your true Disney characters reside... i.e. Princes, princesses, etc.

The muppets are established in DHS. Leave them there. I'm leaning towards the side that they're ruining Liberty Sqare by doing this. I'd rather have the Fife & Drums out and have the normal background music.

I think you're being dramatic.

JohnD

I'm just confused why this is here when we're getting Muppets Courtyard in DHS? This could be funny and entertaining but why not make a show there? DHS needs all it can get. Who knows, maybe something else will go in DHS. Call me cautiously optimistic. If it's not good it could always easily go away.

Because of the show being about American history.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

You'd have to have no heart to not tear up at that... or have a username representing part of the CMYK color model... or both.;)
Maybe his heart is just two sizes too small.
FCC-Grinch-Small-Heart.jpg

mousehockey37

Pixar isn't "TRUE" Disney either; yet I almost never see anyone complaining about them in the parks (with the exception of MILF not really being appropriate for Tomorrowland).

I'll agree that Toy Story shouldn't be there or Monster's Inc. either. Stitch -yes. Buzz? No. It would be weird though to have Space Ranger Spin next to Midway Mania though.

Disney is cranking out too much with nowhere "new" to put it. Anna and Elsa don't belong in The Norway pavilion in the World Showcase either. But that's been fought on elsewhere at length.

JohnD

There is no legitimate reason why this is a bad idea for Liberty Square, except for the same old pathetic people with their same old pathetic anti-Muppet hatred. Despite my low tolerance for children, I am 100% on-board with creating something like this for them. No reason why a history lesson can't be a little fun and the Muppets are delightful group for this task. It doesn't really impede on the area, we're not loosing an attraction, its just a small addition. Now if Hall of Presidents suddenly becomes Muppet Hall, then I'll grab my pitchfork. Basically, all of you who loathe this can get over it :D :D :D

Except that The Muppets, if done right, can appeal to both children and adults. Disney animation is great at doing this -- appealing to children and adults at different levels. The problem with the TV show is that it went too far to the adult side of humor. The Muppets basically need to go back to their roots. The Muppet Show was great at appealing to both adults and children. The LS show could do the same thing.

JohnD

You know, I heard that same argument when the new show brought in bad language, drinking, and sexual references. Diehard Muppets fans were convinced all that was okay. And what was the result? Cancellation. And a LOT of bad press. Why exactly, should I change my mind about that OR this?

I think the show was mis-directed. I'm a Muppets fan but the new show went too far to the extreme with adult humor. It should have been more on the level of The Muppet Show which appealed to adults and children at different levels. Disney animation does that too.

MrPromey

I'd rather have the Fife & Drums out and have the normal background music.

Me too but my four year old would disagree. So too would I imagine, the ever increasing international tourists who don't really care for what they may interpret as blatant displays of American exceptionalism in their fantasy theme park experience. Not saying I agree with this sentiment but I can see why Disney would choose to make this area a little less serious and romanticized than it has appeared in the past. I don't have to like it to understand the logic.

It's no excuse for why they were removed from America in World Showcase, though. Still miffed over that.

Rutt

I'd like BETTER live entertainment that doesn't infantalize the theme of Liberty Square.
I would love to see how the use of 'infantilize' applies here. Comedy gold.

I'm going to ask the Swedish Chef about Native Americans. And Kermit about the Civil War. And no Disney Parks Muppet Show about American history is complete without Miss Piggy getting a few laffs in over slavery!
Maybe you could ask the Haunted Mansion ghosts about Paranormal studies as well. ;)

On a serious note, it's (potentially, being the MK more than likely) a family show featuring puppets in a family park. Its not like it's replacing HOP, its a show outside. What could possibly be the issue with the Muppets in Liberty Square?

Disneyhead'71

I'll agree that Toy Story shouldn't be there or Monster's Inc. either. Stitch -yes. Buzz? No. It would be weird though to have Space Ranger Spin next to Midway Mania though.

Disney is cranking out too much with nowhere "new" to put it. Anna and Elsa don't belong in The Norway pavilion in the World Showcase either. But that's been fought on elsewhere at length.
They have plenty of appropriate places to put stuff they just absolutely refuse to do it correctly.

Btw, Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom is the absolute perfect spot for a show where the Muppets teach American History. The American Pavilion at Epcot? Absolutely not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom