The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Magenta Panther

I think you actually enjoy picking fights with the pro-muppet coalition. I would have thought you would be exhausted from the effort by now.

What effort? I think circumstances (flop movie, flop show that actually alienated people) have proven my point for me. The Muppets ran out of steam long ago, and all of Disney's pushing isn't going to change that. But we've got Bob Chapek in charge of the parks now, and it's painfully obvious that he's out to turn them into showcases for various IPs, whether they're appropriate or not in any given area. Originality? Creativity? Coherent themeing? Forget it. He's a BRANDS guy. So we get Guardians in Epcot and Muppets in Liberty Square. I think that's pretty sad. It also hints at desperation. I'm beginning to wonder just how solid things really are at the Walt Disney Company right now. Do the suits really think these abysmal ideas will help park attendance? But that's a discussion best left to the financial experts here, I suppose. I just wish Disney would announce something that didn't appall me, something I could get excited about. Well, at least the Tower is safe...for now...

Magenta Panther

I cant help but think this is more of a test to see how its received, and then a possible new attraction replacement for HofP of some sort down the road, just saying. It wouldnt shock me if it was something they are looking into. Lets hope not but look at the IP fast track trend Chapek is replacing attractions with.

And if his schemes fail and park attendance continues to fall, maybe HE'LL get replaced. What a happy thought.

Matt_Black

What effort? I think circumstances (flop movie, flop show that actually alienated people) have proven my point for me. The Muppets ran out of steam long ago, and all of Disney's pushing isn't going to change that. But we've got Bob Chapek in charge of the parks now, and it's painfully obvious that he's out to turn them into showcases for various IPs, whether they're appropriate or not in any given area. Originality? Creativity? Coherent themeing? Forget it. He's a BRANDS guy. So we get Guardians in Epcot and Muppets in Liberty Square. I think that's pretty sad. It also hints at desperation. I'm beginning to wonder just how solid things really are at the Walt Disney Company right now. Do the suits really think these abysmal ideas will help park attendance? But that's a discussion best left to the financial experts here, I suppose. I just wish Disney would announce something that didn't appall me, something I could get excited about. Well, at least the Tower is safe...for now...

Yeah, putting in a show that teaches kids about American History in a section of the park dedicated to teaching kids about American History? What the heck are those evil money grubbing executives thinking?!?

Magenta Panther

There is no legitimate reason why this is a bad idea for Liberty Square, except for the same old pathetic people with their same old pathetic anti-Muppet hatred. Despite my low tolerance for children, I am 100% on-board with creating something like this for them. No reason why a history lesson can't be a little fun and the Muppets are delightful group for this task. It doesn't really impede on the area, we're not loosing an attraction, its just a small addition. Now if Hall of Presidents suddenly becomes Muppet Hall, then I'll grab my pitchfork. Basically, all of you who loathe this can get over it :D :D :D

And the same old people who love the Muppets no matter what, no matter how bad they are, no matter how ill-conceived the project, will love this. Yawn. Next!

Matt_Black

The same argument could be used for Guardians in Epcot. Any crass addition can by justified by the hoary old refrain, "But the kids will like it!" Hardly a good excuse for turning Liberty Square into an episode of Sesame Street.

So, you'd rather have no new live entertainment added instead of something that others may like but you personally don't care for?

Tom P.

I'd like BETTER live entertainment that doesn't infantalize the theme of Liberty Square.
For the record -- not that it will change your mind on anything -- the Muppets of The Muppet Show and subsequent projects (e.g. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, etc.) have always been targeted primarily at adults, with a secondary appeal to kids. That was Jim Henson's intention in creating them -- to move away from the children-only focus of the Sesame Street Muppets (e.g. Big Bird, Oscar, etc.) and focus on humor that would appeal more to adult audiences. So I'm not seeing how they "infantalize" Liberty Square in any way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom