The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Magenta Panther

For the record -- not that it will change your mind on anything -- the Muppets of The Muppet Show and subsequent projects (e.g. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, etc.) have always been targeted primarily at adults, with a secondary appeal to kids. That was Jim Henson's intention in creating them -- to move away from the children-only focus of the Sesame Street Muppets (e.g. Big Bird, Oscar, etc.) and focus on humor that would appeal more to adult audiences. So I'm not seeing how they "infantalize" Liberty Square in any way.

You know, I heard that same argument when the new show brought in bad language, drinking, and sexual references. Diehard Muppets fans were convinced all that was okay. And what was the result? Cancellation. And a LOT of bad press. Why exactly, should I change my mind about that OR this?

Tom P.

You know, I heard that same argument when the new show brought in bad language, drinking, and sexual references. Diehard Muppets fans were convinced all that was okay. And what was the result? Cancellation. And a LOT of bad press. Why exactly, should I change my mind about that OR this?
Being oriented toward adult audiences does not mean foul language, drinking, and sex, despite what today's television producers would have us believe. That is not something that Jim Henson -- or Walt Disney, for that matter -- would have ever stood for, and it's something that served to tarnish the characters and the Muppet name.

And, FWIW, you are painting with an awfully broad brush. I mean, that's kinda what you do. I get it. It's your thing. And that's okay. But I am a diehard Muppets fan and I never thought any of the things you describe were okay. And I know many other Muppets fans felt the same way.

None of that changes the fact that from Day 1 of The Muppet Show, the Muppets were meant for adults. Not in a crass way, but in the fact that their humor was aimed to appeal to adult audiences, not crafted to appeal specifically to children. You act as though having the Muppets in Liberty Square means that Liberty Square is now aimed at children. If Big Bird were showing up to teach us about history, I would agree with you. But Kermit and Company have always targeted adults as well as children, and I can almost guarantee you they will be doing the same here.

MrPromey

Placement of this in Liberty Square, as opposed to DHS, seems odd initially. However, since the Muppets are intended to exist in the real world, there's no particular reason they can't be in any park. In DHS, the Muppets show us movie-making technology. In Liberty Square, they can tell us about American history. Put them in Epcot, and they can tell us about science (Muppet Mobile Lab) or foreign cultures (Miss Piggy's guide to France, eg.). And put them in DAK, and they can teach us about the animals that they are -- Kermit telling us about frogs, e.g. This could, maybe, work.

Or it could seems drastically out of place and be terrible.

Agreed. There was a time when it seemed appropriate to take Liberty Square a little more seriously but like how Tomorrow Land became less about the actual future after Epcot opened, I feel like that time has sort of passed for this area... but in a different way.

I remember a time when this part of the park seemed sort of formal and truly historic looking. Today, it's full of crowds of people as far as the eye can see and a giant stroller parking lot that make it seem about as quaint as a busy Walmart. The addition of a live show that should have minimal or no impact on the area when not active, seems like a cheap, easy way to get some live entertainment there to replace some of the stuff we don't see in that park, anymore.

The Muppets themselves have always been a running gag. If they approach it this way where they cheekly acknowledge they don't really belong wherever they're doing their thing, I think it could work all over property... I know there are Star War fans who would hate it but... Yeah, there are a number of ways they could do stuff in a street theater sense all over.

Lord knows, the peaceful serene atmosphere they'd be in danger of ruining in this part of the park has been gone for years.

Magenta Panther

Agreed. There was a time when it seemed appropriate to take Liberty Square a little more seriously but like how Tomorrow Land became less about the actual future after Epcot opened, I feel like that time has sort of passed for this area... but in a different way.

I remember a time when this part of the park seemed sort of formal and truly historic looking. Today, it's full of crowds of people as far as the eye can see and a giant stroller parking lot that make it seem about as quaint as a busy Walmart. The addition of a live show that should have minimal or no impact on the area when not active, seems like a cheap, easy way to get some live entertainment there to replace some of the stuff we don't see in that park, anymore.

The Muppets themselves have always been a running gag. If they approach it this way where they cheekly acknowledge they don't really belong wherever they're doing their thing, I think it could work all over property... I know there are Star War fans who would hate it but... Yeah, there are a number of ways they could do stuff in a street theater sense all over.

Lord knows, the peaceful serene atmosphere they'd be in danger of ruining in this part of the park has been gone for years.

It's an affront to Liberty Square and a sad attempt to put the puppets somewhere, anywhere, to make use of them somehow, now that their movie and TV prospects are dead. Yeesh.

Matt_Black

Would you rather have no new entertainment or a Metallica cover band in the middle of Pirates, even though some people love heavy metal?

StrawMan2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom