The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

PizzaPlanet

Well, now, we've seen 3 harebrained ideas come out of TDO so far:

1. Shoehorn the Frozen princess movie into a tiny ride in the Norway pavilion at World Showcase.

2. Gut the Tower of Terror and stick The Guardians of the Galaxy in it.

3. Put the Muppets in Liberty Square.

Holy crap.

Well, at least the Tower is safe...for now.

Honestly, who ARE the people who think up these terrible plans? They can't be people with talent and taste. They appear to be low, bottom-of-the-barrel, exploitative nitwits. People with no sense of aesthetics, of park history, of the significance of each area.

There's a story about Walt Disney that one of his Imagineers, Rolly Crump, likes to tell. Once he, Walt, and Walt's staff were discussing the Country Bears Jamboree attraction. One of his staff, a marketing guy, suggested that a t-shirt store be placed near the attraction. Walt didn't like that idea. As the discussions continued, the marketing guy kept pushing the idea. When he said, for the third time "T-shirts make a lot of money, Walt," Walt turned to him and said, "Mr. (Whoever), the tail does not wag the dog!"

Well, that was Walt's company. But in the Robert Iger Company, the tail DOES wag the dog, and that tail is Marketing, and it's wagging the dog to death! EVERYTHING in the company is decided by Marketing now, isn't it, including decisions regarding the parks. Marketing decides what gets built and where it goes, and if there's an IP, whether company-generated or purchased, that they decide MUST be in the parks, they'll stick it anywhere and the heck with whether or not doing so is in good taste or whether the IP really fits in there. In it goes! They'll explain it away afterward (Arendelle was inspired by Norway, even though Frozen was inspired by a story written by Hans Christian Anderson, and he was Dutch!) Their contempt for the parks AND park guests is all too obvious now. They exploit both in the vilest, lowest manner possible.

So now Guardians is going into Epcot and the Muppets in Liberty Square. Really, you'd think, after everything that's happened, that Disney might want to be a little more careful about its public image. These decisions aren't going to help that image OR the parks that are being so abused.

Damn, at least the Magic Kingdom ought to be safe from TDO's deranged desire to stick inappropriate IPS everywhere. Disgusting.
At least this won't be replacing a classic attraction. Also, thanks for keeping your bias out of this argument. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know what this reminds me of? That story about how Walt saw a cowboy walking through Tommorowland, which is what inspired him to build his next park with the ultidoors.

If he wasn't happy with a cowbo walking through Tommorowland, I wonder what he would have thought of having the Muppets in Liberty Square?

The Electrical generator which powers WDW using Walt's spinning body is heading for overspeed failure now...

biggy H

You know what this reminds me of? That story about how Walt saw a cowboy walking through Tommorowland, which is what inspired him to build his next park with the ultidoors.

If he wasn't happy with a cowbo walking through Tommorowland, I wonder what he would have thought of having the Muppets in Liberty Square?

Well, he might have changed his mind if he had seen Westworld...:)

zengoth

StatlerandWaldorf(2).jpg

these guys could teach some history AND scare kids. Win win!

SteamboatJoe

I love the Muppets (and Disney's dedication to keeping them relevant despite some failures on the big and small screens) and I love Liberty Square so this doesn't sound like an awful idea at all to me but I completely understand the concerns and reservations some have raised. I'll be interested to hear the details on how it is actually being executed.

I do think introducing the Muppets IP into MK is a bit curious. I honestly never thought I'd see them go that route. I always thought they were a better fit for DHS. I know the parks arm and the tv/movie arms of the company are probably somewhat distant from one another but I have gotta believe this is will mean Disney will want to do something tv and/or movie related with the Muppets again sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
Saw a picture on the site that cannot be named of some muppets eyes staring out the window...

Man how do I not know these sites that cannot be named.

But seriously muppets is still a good property. The tv show did not work but by the end of its run it was a good show. They just started down a path that was not the right one and by the time they course corrected it was to late.

Using them in the parks is ok with me as it is really no different them Mickey. Kermit is an icon and every kid loves him. For some reason both bmickey and Kermit strike a cord with children no matter what.

NearTheEars

Man how do I not know these sites that cannot be named.

But seriously muppets is still a good property. The tv show did not work but by the end of its run it was a good show. They just started down a path that was not the right one and by the time they course corrected it was to late.

Using them in the parks is ok with me as it is really no different them Mickey. Kermit is an icon and every kid loves him. For some reason both bmickey and Kermit strike a cord with children no matter what.

I think the site that I thought was the site that cannot be named is not that site after all. Unless that's "the other site."

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I think the site that I thought was the site that cannot be named is not that site after all. Unless that's "the other site."
I thought it was that site as well however I am not privileged to the knowledge of "the other site" so I guess I will have to wait lol

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Well, in the original plans for Disney's America, they were going to have the Muppets teach about the history of Ellis Island... I guess the idea of Disney using Muppets to teach history just won't die...

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Ohhh... if this is true I SO hope they have at least one poop joke (referencing the brown streak running in the pavement throughout Liberty Square)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom