The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so let me re-write my comment to fit your interpretation:
"God dangit Disney, why are you RUINING Liberty Square with some irreverent characters NO 1 even cares about anymore?!!??" :mad::mad::mad:
I think it's a little too early to call them irreverent or even "ruining" a whole area of the park , but I never seem to be very good at overreacting.

Keep Calm
and
Overreact

:D

Magenta Panther

Well, now, we've seen 3 harebrained ideas come out of TDO so far:

1. Shoehorn the Frozen princess movie into a tiny ride in the Norway pavilion at World Showcase.

2. Gut the Tower of Terror and stick The Guardians of the Galaxy in it.

3. Put the Muppets in Liberty Square.

Holy crap.

Well, at least the Tower is safe...for now.

Honestly, who ARE the people who think up these terrible plans? They can't be people with talent and taste. They appear to be low, bottom-of-the-barrel, exploitative nitwits. People with no sense of aesthetics, of park history, of the significance of each area.

There's a story about Walt Disney that one of his Imagineers, Rolly Crump, likes to tell. Once he, Walt, and Walt's staff were discussing the Country Bears Jamboree attraction. One of his staff, a marketing guy, suggested that a t-shirt store be placed near the attraction. Walt didn't like that idea. As the discussions continued, the marketing guy kept pushing the idea. When he said, for the third time "T-shirts make a lot of money, Walt," Walt turned to him and said, "Mr. (Whoever), the tail does not wag the dog!"

Well, that was Walt's company. But in the Robert Iger Company, the tail DOES wag the dog, and that tail is Marketing, and it's wagging the dog to death! EVERYTHING in the company is decided by Marketing now, isn't it, including decisions regarding the parks. Marketing decides what gets built and where it goes, and if there's an IP, whether company-generated or purchased, that they decide MUST be in the parks, they'll stick it anywhere and the heck with whether or not doing so is in good taste or whether the IP really fits in there. In it goes! They'll explain it away afterward (Arendelle was inspired by Norway, even though Frozen was inspired by a story written by Hans Christian Anderson, and he was Dutch!) Their contempt for the parks AND park guests is all too obvious now. They exploit both in the vilest, lowest manner possible.

So now Guardians is going into Epcot and the Muppets in Liberty Square. Really, you'd think, after everything that's happened, that Disney might want to be a little more careful about its public image. These decisions aren't going to help that image OR the parks that are being so abused.

Damn, at least the Magic Kingdom ought to be safe from TDO's deranged desire to stick inappropriate IPS everywhere. Disgusting.

Magenta Panther

I like it. It's somethng new, can be interactive and brings a new experience to a part of the park i sometimes just hurry past on my way to HM or Big Thunder. And it's not a new dessert or dance party, extra hard ticket event or new cupcake or goblet of the month. It also, gasp, costs money instead of makes it.

Yeah, boring old American history. Needs more hand puppets!

Mike S

Yeah, boring old American history. Needs more hand puppets!
latest

Wikkler

Well, that was Walt's company. But in the Robert Iger Company, the tail DOES wag the dog, and that tail is Marketing, and it's wagging the dog to death! EVERYTHING in the company is decided by Marketing now, isn't it, including decisions regarding the parks. Marketing decides what gets built and where it goes, and if there's an IP, whether company-generated or purchased, that they decide MUST be in the parks, they'll stick it anywhere and the heck with whether or not doing so is in good taste or whether the IP really fits in there. In it goes! They'll explain it away afterward (Arendelle was inspired by Norway, even though Frozen was inspired by a story written by Hans Christian Anderson, and he was Dutch!) Their contempt for the parks AND park guests is all too obvious now. They exploit both in the vilest, lowest manner possible.
But, but, but, spaceships run on energy! So it fits! And... and, and, Sam Eagle! Totally fits, right?
:banghead:
The Imagineers took trips to Philadelphia to really figure out how to piece Muppets Ever After together.
Someone give me money if this sentence ends up on a blog post.

Brer Panther

Well, now, we've seen 3 harebrained ideas come out of TDO so far:

1. Shoehorn the Frozen princess movie into a tiny ride in the Norway pavilion at World Showcase.

2. Gut the Tower of Terror and stick The Guardians of the Galaxy in it.

3. Put the Muppets in Liberty Square.

Holy crap.

Well, at least the Tower is safe...for now.

Honestly, who ARE the people who think up these terrible plans? They can't be people with talent and taste. They appear to be low, bottom-of-the-barrel, exploitative nitwits. People with no sense of aesthetics, of park history, of the significance of each area.

There's a story about Walt Disney that one of his Imagineers, Rolly Crump, likes to tell. Once he, Walt, and Walt's staff were discussing the Country Bears Jamboree attraction. One of his staff, a marketing guy, suggested that a t-shirt store be placed near the attraction. Walt didn't like that idea. As the discussions continued, the marketing guy kept pushing the idea. When he said, for the third time "T-shirts make a lot of money, Walt," Walt turned to him and said, "Mr. (Whoever), the tail does not wag the dog!"

So now Guardians is going into Epcot and the Muppets in Liberty Square. Really, you'd think, after everything that's happened, that Disney might want to be a little more careful about its public image. These decisions aren't going to help that image OR the parks that are being so abused.

Damn, at least the Magic Kingdom ought to be safe from TDO's deranged desire to stick inappropriate IPS everywhere. Disgusting.
You know what this reminds me of? That story about how Walt saw a cowboy walking through Tommorowland, which is what inspired him to build his next park with the ultidoors.

If he wasn't happy with a cowbo walking through Tommorowland, I wonder what he would have thought of having the Muppets in Liberty Square?

Slowjack

I'll have to wait and see what this actually turns out to be, because at the moment I have trouble picturing it. But I'm not sure this is a bad idea. If the Muppets in question are dressed in period garb and actually present historical information in a Muppety fashion, I don't know that I would find that objectionable. I mean, right now Tiana and Naveen are hanging around in Liberty Square and aren't even dressing to fit in. Not to mention how the silversmith's shop has given way to shop dedicated to our colonial forefathers' love of Christmas ornaments shaped like Mickey's head.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I don't care if I am a negative nancy on this, but this idea is pretty bad. Doesn't Disney get the point about how people feel about the Muppets today? Show canceled after one season, Muppet 3D wait times of 10 minutes on a GOOD day, wrong sounding Muppets etc. How come they keep trying to push it on the public (rhetorical question)? I bet a lot of kids react this way when hearing about them:
Muppets.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom