The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History'

Seabasealpha1

I wasn't referring to Disneyland's attractions, but the quality of maintenance, cleanliness, staff, ect. Which is what I'm assuming you guys are comparing to old school WDW. Because by all means, Disneyland still has that side of the magic from so many years ago.

At least, I think it does. Based on my two trips from the past couple of years. Quality was booming EVERYwhere at Disneyland during my trip last January. Even Toontown was impressive. I was amazed at the difference of quality.
Read that blog yet?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I wasn't referring to Disneyland's attractions, but the quality of maintenance, cleanliness, staff, ect. Which is what I'm assuming you guys are comparing to old school WDW. Because by all means, Disneyland still has that side of the magic from so many years ago.

At least, I think it does. Based on my two trips from the past couple of years. Quality was booming EVERYwhere at Disneyland during my trip last January. Even Toontown was impressive. I was amazed at the difference of quality.
Please dont take this as an attack, but I have to call shenanigans on this. You were not speaking of Disneylands quality in terms of cleanliness, staff, maintenance, etc.. you were speaking about attractions.

Bacon

They are replacing Hall of Presidents with a glorious three hour production titled, "A Salute to all Nations, but mostly America". Trust me, I went to school with Meg Crofton and she told me all about it.

(She may've graduated before I got there though)
Um don't you mean
upload_2016-4-13_21-2-6.png

AEfx

Actually, things used to be the entirely other way around. WDW was the resort with the best upkeep, the most attention, the cleanest, most maintained, etc.

Then Disneyland started to approach it's 50th birthday, folks realized what a disgrace it had become in many ways, and since then the scales have moved in the completely opposite direction for various and sundry reasons.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Actually, things used to be the entirely other way around. WDW was the resort with the best upkeep, the most attention, the cleanest, most maintained, etc.

Then Disneyland started to approach it's 50th birthday, folks realized what a disgrace it had become in many ways, and since then the scales have moved in the completely opposite direction for various and sundry reasons.

Wellp. Ya learn something new every day!

Wikkler

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Nobody has that crystal ball.

I would bet more first timers would like to see more Disney characters integrated into Epcot. I guess Figment was special and gets a pass because he was a Disney character made especially for Epcot. That naturally makes him better than The Muppets (those darned Muppets) which I'm guessing would have been more popular for a journey into imagination. (Does the blasphemy never end?)

I'm so sorry you guys are so bothered by Disney characters and related IP's in a Disney theme park, and so shocked that big companies are all about money. The days of big companies giving a rip about employees, customers, taxes, or anything other than their own pockets and golden parachutes are long gone.
It's not that we hate the Muppets (except @Magenta Panther ), but we hate the idea of them being in Liberty Square.
What's your favorite Disney land? Let me guess, it's Fantasyland. Characters ahoy! No problem with that, but please understand that we don't need five Fantasylands at MK.
...but that doesn't mean the seas conversion to nemo was a bad decision. It fits and pleases the tourists perfectly fine... As will Frozen in Norway. So disney lost a few EPCOT fanboys. Big whoop. Disney is trying to please tourists, not people like YOU personally. The tourists don't give a hoot about culture and trolls, or an edutainment aquarium.. They care about nemo and Elsa.

Tourists don't want to be educated, they want to be entertained. So when they go to DISNEY world they're expecting DISNEY characters.

As much as you classic EPCOT fanboys don't want to admit it, and will argue against it as much as possible.... The average tourist didn't care for the original EPCOT theme park because there were no Disney characters, and simply boring attractions. So Disney realized, eventually, that the park needs characters. Because that's what the tourists want, and that's what will bring in the money.
As much as you classic EPCOT fanboys don't want to admit it, and will argue against it as much as possible.... The average tourist didn't care for the original EPCOT theme park because there were no Disney characters, and simply boring attractions. So Disney realized, eventually, that the park needs characters. Because that's what the tourists want, and that's what will bring in the money.
You decided to make your username WondersOfLife. That's the name of a classic EPCOT pavilion, with minimal Intellectual Property (only Goofy, and you could easily avoid him). Mostly filled with original characters and stories. Body Wars, Cranium Command, even the controversial Making of Me.

Also, the whole "that's what tourists want" argument? Well, they'll want Frozen and Nemo rides, but maybe on a subconscious level they'd appreciate them more where they belong? They're going to be more upset if they go to Epcot and all they have to appeal to their character-only tastes are two or three rides than if Frozen was at Magic Kingdom where other princess rides are a walk away.

It's also very insulting to assume that all tourists want character-filled crap. If only Disney could know there's an audience for edutainment, which there is, but it seems every major media company's giving up on it. History Channel and Discovery Channel once had thought-provoking documentaries. Now, it's just roughnecks.

Riddle me this if you think that all tourists want familiar Disney-filled stuff. Explain why zoos, aquariums, and museums are very popular without having characters.

SirLink

ITT users are saying the Muppets are out of place when for years since I first started going they had Micky Mouse dressed in his colonial gear in LS. Muppets have appeared in virtually every time period on point.

There was internal arguments a few years ago to have characters stay within their own ares, such as Winnie the Pooh only meet in the Magic Kingdom. Or Woody and the gang only meet in Pixar Place. Which hopefully they are reconsidering ... if they do the Muppets will get same status of the main 5, they'll meet them in every park.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Riddle me this if you think that all tourists want familiar Disney-filled stuff. Explain why zoos, aquariums, and museums are very popular without having characters.

[/QUOTE]

Uhh.. Because those don't have the name "Disney" attached to them on property..?

Well you're fashionably late o-o

AEfx

ITT users are saying the Muppets are out of place when for years since I first started going they had Micky Mouse dressed in his colonial gear in LS. Muppets have appeared in virtually every time period on point.

It's also kind of ironic as folks are always saying "characters belong in the MK!". and now, we are parsing out the MK. LOL. I mean we actually have folks saying "characters should only be in Fantasyland!" and it's like - uh, guess we need to dismantle Splash Mountain? LOL. We clearly are way past that point, and it's futile to get all riled up about it because - for better or worse - it's never going to happen - and never really was that way, as you say - the characters have been all over the MK since the beginning.

I do think folks are over-reacting to this - or more accurately, knee-jerk reacting to it - without thinking about it practically and contextually. They aren't thinking past the headline.

What it sounds like to me (particularly with the "upstairs" mention) is that they may put some type of small-scale show/presentation (perhaps something like Turtle Talk-lite), aimed at the kids who really are too young to get much out of Hall of Presidents, in the space above. Which we should actually be happy about because that equals less whiny kids in the main presentation.

If they are appealing to small children, they could invent some character/theme, but I see perfectly why they wouldn't - Sam the Eagle is more than perfect for this sort of thing. It's in his DNA. The fact he is a Muppet is rather irrelevant, really - he's just the most appropriate character under Disney control to do such a thing.

If they were talking a Muppet's overlay, with Sam the Eagle sparring with the Presidents, Statler and Waldorf heckling Ben Franklin, etc. - I'd think folks were being a bit less irrational. But this really isn't that crazy of an idea, and if done discretely/well it could be a neat little thing for both small kids and Muppet-fans alike. And who knows - even though some see it as a low-brow move, hey, if some little kid wants to find out more about history - even just asking "Why is Sam an Eagle?" is better than them not paying attention and asking to play with someone's phone because they are bored.

Mike S

It's also kind of ironic as folks are always saying "characters belong in the MK!". and now, we are parsing out the MK. LOL. I mean we actually have folks saying "characters should only be in Fantasyland!" and it's like - uh, guess we need to dismantle Splash Mountain? LOL. We clearly are way past that point, and it's futile to get all riled up about it because - for better or worse - it's never going to happen - and never really was that way, as you say - the characters have been all over the MK since the beginning.

I do think folks are over-reacting to this - or more accurately, knee-jerk reacting to it - without thinking about it practically and contextually. They aren't thinking past the headline.

What it sounds like to me (particularly with the "upstairs" mention) is that they may put some type of small-scale show/presentation (perhaps something like Turtle Talk-lite), aimed at the kids who really are too young to get much out of Hall of Presidents, in the space above. Which we should actually be happy about because that equals less whiny kids in the main presentation.

If they are appealing to small children, they could invent some character/theme, but I see perfectly why they wouldn't - Sam the Eagle is more than perfect for this sort of thing. It's in his DNA. The fact he is a Muppet is rather irrelevant, really - he's just the most appropriate character under Disney control to do such a thing.

If they were talking a Muppet's overlay, with Sam the Eagle sparring with the Presidents, Statler and Waldorf heckling Ben Franklin, etc. - I'd think folks were being a bit less irrational. But this really isn't that crazy of an idea, and if done discretely/well it could be a neat little thing for both small kids and Muppet-fans alike. And who knows - even though some see it as a low-brow move, hey, if some little kid wants to find out more about history - even just asking "Why is Sam an Eagle?" is better than them not paying attention and asking to play with someone's phone because they are bored.
Well when they're making a Muppet land in DHS why split off Sam the Eagle and put him in Magic Kingdom? Keep characters where they would make the most sense. It's not something I'm mad about at all. It just seems bizarre.

Magenta Panther

On the contrary, a lot of folks here ARE thinking about it "practically and contextually". They're imagining a full scenario in their heads, and they're not liking what they're seeing. Give us a little credit, 'kay? Furthermore, there is no way the Muppets and the Hall of Presidents, taken altogether, could ever fit together in any context. One of these things is not like the other... :D

And oh DEAR, the little toddlers might be bored or whine or something during the Hall of Presidents, so they MUST be succored because EVERY SQUARE INCH of a Disney park is, after all, a hideously expensive day care. Come ON. Surely you know better than that. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom